Class A3 4-6-2 in O Gauge from Hatton's

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

One question please to Hatton Dave. Can you confirm that model version A3007, preserved version, does have the German style smoke deflectors on it.

Thanks.

Hi TTG

A3006 & A3007 are to be fitted with the smoke deflectors. A3007 will also have the air pipes and warning flashes that Scotsman carries.

Cheers

Dave

Hi TTG

A3006 & A3007 are to be fitted with the smoke deflectors. A3007 will also have the air pipes and warning flashes that Scotsman carries.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I will place my order now for an A3 & A4

That's my concern too.

Because although I am sure that the pound will recover in due course I think that the Aussie Dollar is about to take a beating. If that happens the price of these by 2018 could end up 1500 or 1600 dollars or more (not forgetting that by 2018 , privately imported goods will no longer be VAT/GST free)

What do you think Hattons, a Pay in advance option for overseas buyers?

Back on topic, They sound like they will be amazing and I've never been more tempted, I really want that Commonwealth of Australia. But will probably roll the dice, hope they don't all get presold and see if there are any left to buy on release.

Either way I think they will be very popular.

Plus we will have to take the hit of import duty on them as well, by the time we get them May be cheaper to fly to the UK and pick up have a holiday and then post home.

I must say I have absolutely no use for them whatsoever....... but I've still ordered an A4, even if it never turns a wheel. I'm amazed and impressed, and Hatton's deserve every encouragement!

I should love it if one could then encourage Hatton's to do a lovely Duchess in the future to complement this step (..... 'City of Birmingham' would do me!!!!)

Diagram 186 (Tourist) Third Open, having 64 seats in 2+2 configuration, was the very numerous teak-panelled version of the Tourist stock Green & Cream Third Opens and similarly had bucket seating, these eventually replaced by traditional style seats from 1946. This diagram was also the first to use the welded underframe, some being built with the riveted underframe and others the welded one.

Will the Hatton's teak-finished model have the correct bucket seats in the interior and what version of the underframe - riveted or welded?

Diagram 186 opens were usually arranged in excursion sets with Diagram 191 or 196 Brake Third Opens.

Finally, the first BR livery was strictly Crimson Lake & Cream, known generally as Crimson & Cream - Carmine was 'made up' by J N Maskelyne because he did not like the dissimilarity with the LMS Crimson Lake. The actual paint colour used by BR appeared in BS381 from 1930 and was named simply 'Crimson'. For the sake of an accurate trade description it would be very helpful if manufacturers and retailers used the correct terminology...

Fantastic news and (I think though the site confused me) that I have ordered some.It is an astonishing vote of confidence in the "senior" scale and hopefully will be deservedly successful. All I now have to do is come up with a reason why such elegant machines would end up in a Norfolk seaside terminus. I would also endorse the comments to supply the locos unumbered as we all have our favourites (mine being number 17).

Thank you so much.

Martin Long

Hello Hatton David,

If you can influence the design in any way could you ask that a speaker enclosure is in the loco as near the front as possible. 

7mm locos are big enough to allow a person to detect where the sound is coming from and on a steam loco it is definitely not the tender.

Look at other RTR locos. They have opening smoke box doors so you can get inside to fit speakers etc.

It really does make a difference.

Thanks

Amazing! I'm a bit late in finding out about this - but congratulations to Hattons and best wishes to a successful launch. Like many other modellers I had no plans ( or justification ) for an A3 or A4, but somehow can imagine Union of South Africa appearing on my track..... Great stuff!!

Hello Hatton David,

If you can influence the design in any way could you ask that a speaker enclosure is in the loco as near the front as possible. 

7mm locos are big enough to allow a person to detect where the sound is coming from and on a steam loco it is definitely not the tender.

Look at other RTR locos. They have opening smoke box doors so you can get inside to fit speakers etc.

It really does make a difference.

Thanks

Hello, I have the same opinion. The speaker should be in the loco close to the cylinder/chimney area, not in the tender. Maybe it is possible to change the specification.

In total, the choice of this prototypes for O gauge models is very wise from Hattons. It will be a success. 

Best greetings from Germany

Torsten

Edited by blackmoor_vale

I'd have to concur with the suggestion of fitting the speaker in the loco.

Not only does it ensure that the sound comes from "where it should", but putting the decoder in the loco makes the wiring / installation easier too.

Best

Simon

Every 7mm steam loco I have bar one have 'OO' style decoders in them which has never caused me any problem at all.

But with Heljan I expect are following their heavy weight routine like their diesels and as such a bigger decider like the ESU Loksound XL or slightly small L version. The L version does not have stay alive capability and is an add on for the decoder.

But as I said before, all my locos bar one which are brass built all use ESU Loksound OO versions and work very well with good sound and good hauling capacity. Current draw is low which is what decoder size is all about.

The odd one out in my steam fleet is my factory built DJH Britannia which is a lot heavier than the others but it cam with within the ESU Loksound XL decoder in it but I suspect even the Brit would be OK with the OO version of the decoder.

Fingers are crossed my Fine Scale Brass 7mm Britannia due next year will be ok with the smaller decoder. All my other locos from them are ok with them so I suspect it will be.

Please Heljan, think about the DCC side of things as it's important these days.

• RMweb Gold

Every 7mm steam loco I have bar one have 'OO' style decoders in them which has never caused me any problem at all.

But with Heljan I expect are following their heavy weight routine like their diesels and as such a bigger decider like the ESU Loksound XL or slightly small L version. The L version does not have stay alive capability and is an add on for the decoder.

But as I said before, all my locos bar one which are brass built all use ESU Loksound OO versions and work very well with good sound and good hauling capacity. Current draw is low which is what decoder size is all about.

The odd one out in my steam fleet is my factory built DJH Britannia which is a lot heavier than the others but it cam with within the ESU Loksound XL decoder in it but I suspect even the Brit would be OK with the OO version of the decoder.

Fingers are crossed my Fine Scale Brass 7mm Britannia due next year will be ok with the smaller decoder. All my other locos from them are ok with them so I suspect it will be.

Please Heljan, think about the DCC side of things as it's important these days.

Another one here whose just about to vote with his credit card and support Hattons!  Well done guys - but can i echo what TTG has said ... doesn't necessarily have to be ESU either, i prefer the Zimo decoders personally - each to his own, but please Hattons given the timescales, give some thought to the DCC aspects!

• 1 month later...

Regarding the coaches. Could you ask Heljan to make the flanges a little finer than the ones on their MK1's I've tried a few and they are a little tight on hand built track and ride up over the cosmetic fish plates.

My stock with slaters wheels are fine as are the Heljan wagons.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dave,

Are there any plans in the pipeline to continue this range, if they're successful, by releasing other identities or un-numbered versions?

Also, are you planning additional releases in the future (I don't expect you to say what they are - just a yes/no/maybe!) or is the A3/A4/Teaks a one-off series?

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all!

New Year, New CADS!

We've received the initial CADs through for the A3 from Heljan. These are far from finished but show the main dimensions as well as the detailing work which has been concentrated on above the running board.

Further details are available Here.

Cheers,

Dave

A3_initial_cad_01.JPG

A3_initial_cad_02.JPG

A3_initial_cad_03.JPG

A3_initial_cad_04.JPG

A3_initial_cad_05.JPG

• Like 7