Stoke a plan.

Hi,

I've spent a couple of hours on it and have come up with the following (With reference to the above circuit diagram - post #218);

Start:

All signal are green, all relays are in NC condition. The train moves from left to right!

T1 is grounded, R1 is energized and will remain latched through R2A, signal S1 switches from Green to Red.

T2 is grounded, R2 is energized and will remain latched through R3A, signal S2 switches from Green to Red.

T2A is grounded, R2A is momentarily energized through R2B which will release R1, signal S1 switches from Red to Yellow.

T2B is grounded, R2B is energized and will remain latched through R3A, R2A is released, +track power at S2 (from B wire) is disconnected.

T3 is grounded, R3 is energized and will remain latched through R4A(???),  signal S3 switches from Green to Red.

T3A is grounded, R3A is momentarily energized through R3B which will release R2 & R2B, S1 switches from Yellow to Green and S2 switches from Red to Yellow.

T3B is grounded, R3B is energized and will remain latched through R4A(???),

If there are any problems with the above then please advise.

Regards

Ian

OK agree with the above, I was looking at it as to where did R3 NC get its input voltage but I have seen my error.  By heck that is a lot of relays to wire and mount on a layout that is of this magnitude.

Regards

Peter

Raspberry Pi?

I don't think the gentleman concerned was a user of those  :no: And yes it can be done, best I have seen is the block controlled storage yard on Farnham's Wickwar, a masterpiece.

Regards

Peter

Raspberry Pi?

Hi Martin,

With my 1970s ‘O’ level physics I can just about cope with the electronics for the TCC system but if we are to throw a Raspberry Pi into the mix then I suddenly find myself outside my comfort zone. I am okay in using a Pi as a media system but programming a GPIO ............. don't know what to do. However, wouldn't the processing power of a Raspberry Pi be a little bit over kill in this instance and perhaps the same could be said of the arduino microprocessors which again I know nothing about. Perhaps a PIC could be a better choice and perhaps easier to follow. In this instance, I am aware of a video for Everard Junction automatic signalling system which I think is immensely interesting and could perhaps be used to recreate a TCC system.

The video is over 50mins long but I think very informative, of course I’ve gone over it a couple of time. Here’s a link for it:

One further thought, since we are no longer discussing Basingstoke should this discussion be moved over to the Electrics forum?

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian_H

Hi Martin,

One further thought, since we are no longer discussing Basingstoke should this discussion be moved over to the Electrics forum?

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

Might I suggest that it would be better if you could start another thread on the Electrics Forum and then provide a link from here, as it would be better for THIS Stoke thread to be closed and subsequently deleted

• RMweb Gold

THIS Stoke thread to be closed and subsequently deleted

Why?

71000 might change his mind and put some stuff back. He might put it somewhere else and want to post a link. Others may want to edit or add to their previous replies.

Why are some folks so keen to get topics locked or deleted? What's the difficulty in just not reading or following them if you are no longer interested?

Martin.

• Like 2

Why?

71000 might change his mind and put some stuff back. He might put it somewhere else and want to post a link. Others may want to edit or add to their previous replies.

Why are some folks so keen to get topics locked or deleted? What's the difficulty in just not reading or following them if you are no longer interested?

Martin.

Personally, I don't think that 71000 is ever going to come back, so leaving what looks like a hacked forum subject for newcomers to come across, is not ideal for BRM or rmweb reputation.

As I said in post#217, "I think the damage has already been done, both on the replacement website and on what remains of the original. Especially when all the images have also been removed!

Even if 71000 did have a change of mind and tried to put back all the deleted material, I'm not sure the forum software (or the administrator) would allow him to do so, with the linking back of the images probably proving even more of a nightmare.

To leave BOTH 71000's forum topics on-line in their current state makes no sense and in my view, gives a very poor public image of what the RMWEB forum is all about.

Personally, I wonder whether both topics should not be closed but permanently removed by the administrator."

Time for AndyY to comment on this and make an executive decision?

He won't be coming back as I've removed his access so he can't beggar about with anything else. In due course I will remove the topics once anyone has archived what they wish to.

• RMweb Gold

And here's me thinking I'd see a nice big layout of Stoke-on-Trent........... :senile:

Now that would be nice - set in the 1970s with the through tracks, big yard and sidings that I remember from when I lived there - in Newcastle-under-Lyme to be exact.

Cheers

Darius

And here's me thinking I'd see a nice big layout of Stoke-on-Trent........... :senile:

Yep, I wish they'd put the 'Basing' back in the title, Stoke-on-Trent was much more interesting operationally, freight wise, in that period. 

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

We seem to have some exceptional ECML layouts on RMweb (Sandy, Peterborough, Little Bytham, Grantham, Retford, etc), but where are the big WCML or MML ones?

Not having a foot in either camp, and being a south-of-the-river person, I do wonder if the much later electrification of ECML means it continued to have a traditional feel, with the Deltics and then HSTs, that the lower end of WCML lost by 1965, the Scots end by 1974. The same would apply to MML, of course, so that probably isn't it. But I always felt the ECML was more of a racetrack than the more sinuous WCML, and the LNER racehorses and birds made it that bit more exciting. 

We seem to have some exceptional ECML layouts on RMweb (Sandy, Peterborough, Little Bytham, Grantham, Retford, etc), but where are the big WCML or MML ones?

There’s the 2mm “This is Euston”, a Camden Shed, Water Orton and there’s another intermittent 1930s set layout (forget the name). Spirit of Shap is also WCML! However I agree there’s less mainline from other regions and the Lms does seem to be least popular

David

Given the money, and the space it'd be one of my earliest 'spotting locations -  Lichfield TV( just pre- OHLE) for me, including the SSR over the High-Level - I've got most of the stock !!?? :sungum: 

I'd just like to go on record and say that yes, the Basingstoke layout is a mammoth undertaking and I'm happy to follow its progress.

What I'm less than happy about is 71000's posting style. I intensely dislike his opinion of the Spanish, particularly his insistence that they are lazy, child-like and of low intellect. That needs to STOP on a public forum. He can think what he likes, but some thoughts are best kept in one's head. His superior attitude comes across as though he is better than others. He's not.

I do agree with you, particularly about the Basingstoke layout - it is a terrific achievement. I was also enjoying 'the Duke's stories about the museum.

What bemuses me is why move to Spain if that is your attitude towards the people who live there!?! Okay, he probably formed that opinion of the Spanish after having lived there for a while but he must have visited beforehand, surely? Who in their right mind would move, lock, stock & barrel to a country without having had some pretty decent experience of the place beforehand?

I'm talking a permanent move here, not a year or two for work which is entirely different.

I have some decent memories of Spain and saw them go from living under a dictatorship to becoming a democratic member of the EU - that didn't happen without a lot of hard work, I promise.

So, Duke - I'll miss what you do but not how you tell it.

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That always bemused me too! An enormous layout of a slightly esoteric prototype in a different country.

Still... who of us wouldn’t want to build our dream layout as a full time job paid for by someone else?! I wonder if his funders knew of his attitudes. Biting the hand that feeds...