Stoke a plan.

As I thought, it's a barely noticeable difference in 4mm. I think it's an excellent representation. I was also under the impression the smokbox door was slightly smaller or the boiler was bigger? Either way it really looks the part!

The problem of the H15's was that each batch was different. According to "The Book of the H15 & S15 4-6-0's" the following may be 

Edited by 71000

• RMweb Premium

The problem of the H15's was that each batch was different. According to "The Book of the H15 & S15 4-6-0's" the following may be able to explain your impressions:

Using BR numbers

The original Urie H15's (30482-30491) carried parallel boilers, which could only be fitted to these locos. In 1927 30491 was rebuilt to take a taper boiler so providing one spare parallel boiler for the remaining nine locos.

H15's 30330-30335 carried Drummond boilers from the previous F13 & E14 class 4-6-0's, which had been refurbished for use on these H15's. They were similar to the Urie parallel boilers on 30482-30490 but had longer fireboxes so had to stay with 30330-30335.

The Urie N15s (Urie Arthurs), Urie S15's and the Southern Maunsell built H15's (including 30521 my model) all had identical Urie taper boilers, working at 180psi, with a pair of direct loading safety valves in a rounded casing on the firebox. They had all acquired Maunsell superheaters by the mid/late 1920's. Boiler numbers were 473-478; 496-515; 521-524, 736, 738-741, 743-755, 986 & 1000 Total 50 boilers. Most boiler numbers relate to the loco they were fitted too, when this boiler numbering system was begun in 1927.  

The Southern N15 (King Arthurs & Scotch Arthurs) & Southern built S15's all had Maunsell taper boilers, dimensionally the same as the Urie taper boilers,  but working at 200psi, with Ross Pop safety valves on a flat base on the firebox. All were fitted with Maunsell superheaters except boilers 737 & 742  which initially had Urie superheaters. These boilers were interchangable with the Urie taper boilers. A number of spare boilers also existed, with a total of 104 boilers.

The Urie & Maunsell taper boilers had a smokebox door measuring 4ft 7.5 inches, which includes my model. The Maunsell/Southern Railway built S15 boiler was however pitched slightly lower, making it look possibly slightly smaller even though it wasn't ! 

The Duke 71000

Hi Duke,

There is a discussion about the H15 "Chonkers" (instigated by me) giving details of the various batches and variations here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/27678-urie-h15-chonker/

Hope this is useful,

Cheers, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Duke,

Wellington is actually my home town, I am far to young to remember the days of steam, or anything before these electric multiple units:

big_1327.jpg

When I was younger my dad took my on a few steam railtours, behind a JA I'm fairly sure, but my knowledge/interest in local steam traction is slim, which is a bit of a shame as I am a 2 minute drive away from a preserved steam rail centre. Although people at the local club do try and convert me, i must admit some of the steam prototypes are getting increasingly more interesting (to me at least)

big_1251.jpg

New Zealand sure is a beautiful, place very lucky to live somewhere like this, let me know if you are ever over here for a visit and i'll sort you out with a room! It's funny you should say that, I work at the bank, and I suppose our equivalent of a regional manager is an ex pat who loved it here so much he decided to stay! 

Duke,

Wellington is actually my home town, I am far to young to remember the days of steam, or anything before these electric multiple units:

big_1327.jpg

When I was younger my dad took my on a few steam railtours, behind a JA I'm fairly sure, but my knowledge/interest in local steam traction is slim, which is a bit of a shame as I am a 2 minute drive away from a preserved steam rail centre. Although people at the local club do try and convert me, i must admit some of the steam prototypes are getting increasingly more interesting (to me at least)

big_1251.jpg

New Zealand sure is a beautiful, place very lucky to live somewhere like this, let me know if you are ever over here for a visit and i'll sort you out with a room! It's funny you should say that, I work at the bank, and I suppose our equivalent of a regional manager is an ex pat who loved it here so much he decided to stay! 

Jack,

NZGR.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 2

Hey Duke,

That Schools class makes me cry! If you need a hand repairing it please let me know as I have some spares kicking around, and have taken more than one apart! really enjoying the updates!