Jump to content




Photo
- - - - -

Renumbering A Vitrains Class 37





  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andy_Richards

Andy_Richards

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 17:51

Hi all,

I have a Vitrains Blue Large logo class 37 I want to renumber. Has anyone got any tips on removing the printed  number and nameplate without 

having to respray or damaging the existing paintwork

 

Thanks in advance

 

Andy

 





#2 dj_crisp

dj_crisp

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 10 August 2016 - 17:53

I'll admit I've never succeeded bit I do find Railmatch paints are usually an excellent match

Cheers
Will

#3 Scottish Modeller

Scottish Modeller

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 10 August 2016 - 18:06

I'll admit I've never succeeded bit I do find Railmatch paints are usually an excellent match

Cheers
Will

Hi Andy,

 

I'm with Will on this one - never managed to remove the existing printed numbers without damaging the paint.

 

You have, however an alternative....

 

Fox Transfers - BR Blue blanking patches

 

http://fox-transfers...ng-obliteration

 

Careful use of this product to only cover the current numbers makes it possible to renumber without stress!

 

Thanks



#4 Brinkly

Brinkly

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 August 2016 - 18:08

Hi Andy,

You could try T-Cut on a cotton bud, that has worked for me on Bachmann locos. Or carefully use a fibreglass brush and rub it away.

Either method will provide a key on the surface and will make attaching transfers or nameplates more easily.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nick.

#5 owentherail

owentherail

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 18:35

This subject has been brought up a few time and no one has been to successfull esp on a large logo blue loco, I did a freight grey loco carefully scratching it off, let us know if you manage it. Good luck.

#6 forest2807

forest2807

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 20:33

Hi Andy,
You could try T-Cut on a cotton bud, that has worked for me on Bachmann locos. Or carefully use a fibreglass brush and rub it away.
Either method will provide a key on the surface and will make attaching transfers or nameplates more easily.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Nick.


Usually I would endorse this wholeheartedly, but with Vitrains locos I (and others by the sounds of it) have found that the paint is so thin that any attempt to remove numerals with abrasive liquids such as T-Cut will also result in the removal of the paint work. I have used blanking patches to cover my mistakes in the past - voice of experience and all that! I would avoid T-Cut on Vitrains finishes at all costs. Your call though.
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#7 dj_crisp

dj_crisp

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 10 August 2016 - 21:55

Usually I would endorse this wholeheartedly, but with Vitrains locos I (and others by the sounds of it) have found that the paint is so thin that any attempt to remove numerals with abrasive liquids such as T-Cut will also result in the removal of the paint work. I have used blanking patches to cover my mistakes in the past - voice of experience and all that! I would avoid T-Cut on Vitrains finishes at all costs. Your call though.


I totally agree... no luck with t-cut which I use on Heljan, Hornby and Bachmann locos. I've also tried ipa... the closest I got was superfine sandpaper with washing up liquid but ended up patch respraying.

Anyway I hope you have more success than me :)
  • Agree x 2

#8 Brinkly

Brinkly

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 10 August 2016 - 22:04

Interesting re T-Cut. I find it works well!

 

Anyway good luck in your quest.

 

Regards,

 

Nick.



#9 rob D2

rob D2

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Locationswindon,uk

Posted 22 August 2016 - 21:54

Interesting re T-Cut. I find it works well!
 
Anyway good luck in your quest.
 
Regards,
 
Nick.



Yes it works well on Bachmann, not VI trains in my experience

#10 scoobyra

scoobyra

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 995 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:29

Resurrecting an old thread - I can definitely confirm that you CANNOT use T Cut on Vitrains paintwork!



#11 43179

43179

    Member


  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 14:06

Not impossible to renumber vitrains stuff -  I really love reworking them actually - but you just have to use a different method - flatten the numbers with fine wet-n-dry or tcut or even jiff then obliterate then with a thin layer of airbrush primer and your chosen body color - Vitrains  generally paint things in fairly accurate shades (Hornby and Bachmann take note), so feathering into the existing paint finishing and getting a color match is quite easy -  Heres a couple of  EWS 47s I renumbered - retaining virtually all of the original vitrains paint finish - as they did such a nice job of the livery. 

e3459612fb356c269981123c9b569c1e.jpg  

9a39e5a40a7fca03ed2e4a3ce4a2cfaa.jpg

another example - renumbered and re-sectored 

ffde1780b64e6815f70b33ffbfdb2383.jpg

and a RES one , with the printed BR arrows carefully removed (I used Cif on a cotton bud) and renumered and named , but again , retaining most of the original vitrains paint finish

c085736866c09693aa91837421bc078c.jpg

 

TFN

Jon 


  • Like x 5