New N gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 electric locomotive project

DJM Dave

Hi everyone, to link in nicely with the proposed design work on the OO version of the class 92 electric locomotive, i am launching this initiative for crowdfunding today wit it going fully live on my website for 'expressions of interest' later next week.

cheers

Dave

N gauge Class 92, Driven on all wheels on both bogies, Coreless motor, directional lighting (day and night modes) ,2 scale sprung pantographs, Sound compatible (roof for largest speaker for space available), Next 18 DCC socket onboard, Darkend profile wheels, Close coupling system, NEM coupling pockets, replacement no coupling hole valance, fully modeled and painted cab interiors, etched nameplates, polo mint tunnel logos, depot plaques and arrows (where necessary), switch for turning rear lights off.

Crowdfunding price TBC but approximately £130.00 per model

To place an 'expression of interest' please click this link......  http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

post-1144-0-10185300-1471017096_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-28869700-1471017100.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Great choice, but I have to ask where this fits in to your production schedules around the N Gauge J94, Class 17 & Class 22 already announced? Being crowd funded will it jump the queue?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi everyone, to link in nicely with the proposed design work on the OO version of the class 92 electric locomotive, i am launching this initiative for crowdfunding today wit it going fully live on my website for 'expressions of interest' later next week.

cheers

Dave

N gauge Class 92, Driven on all wheels on both bogies, Coreless motor, directional lighting (day and night modes) ,2 scale sprung pantographs, Sound compatible (roof for largest speaker for space available), Next 18 DCC socket onboard, Darkend profile wheels, Close coupling system, NEM coupling pockets, replacement no coupling hole valance, fully modeled and painted cab interiors, etched nameplates, polo mint tunnel logos, depot plaques and arrows (where necessary), switch for turning rear lights off.

Crowdfunding price TBC but approximately £130.00 per model

I'll surely be saving up for one of these Dave... Something I've waited for for ages. Looking forward to voting for one next week. I hope it succeeds. 130 a pop seems really reasonable.

As this N gauge crowdfunded class 92 will effectively be funded up front by backers (rather than having to wait and rely on income from sales of other yet to be launched products) is there a proposed timetable for this project?

G.

As this N gauge crowdfunded class 92 will effectively be funded up front by backers (rather than having to wait and rely on income from sales of other yet to be launched products) is there a proposed timetable for this project?

G.

Within 12 months of going ahead with it, if not sooner.

China have all they need now, right down to decoration artwork, paint sample, pantones etc.

The only thing that might take longer would be getting the sprung pantos done accurately, but if they don't cause much hassle I'd say 12 months at this time, but I'll know closer to going into final cad/cam and starting tooling.

However this model will have full visibility 71, as there isn't, as far as I know, anyone else doing an RTR 92 so I don't have to keep info back on progress etc.

Cheers

Dave

Awesome! Id be in for at least 2, if not more.

Thoughts on planned liveries? I'd love grey with EWS Beasties logos, which I think is how many of the fleet are still today.

Hi,

I'll be posting some product codes and liveries / numbers later next week when I go live on my website for 'expressions of interest".

Cheers

Dave

And so it begins

I am really pleased for those who have wanted a 92 in N, and I truly hope the project proceeds. It just seems such a shame that all the crowdfunded proposals for N models are geared around modern prototypes. Is it really the case that there is no similar appetite for a similarly crowdfunded steam loco due to different demographic and these modellers being less willing to buy in to principles of crowdfunding?

I for one would be delighted to support a worthy project, something with a long life and/or wide appeal, maybe a 78xxx 2-6-0 or 84xxx 2-6-2 Tank, am I really in a minority?

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1

The OO gauge class 59 is another much asked for locomotive built to a modern standard and with the detail modellers come to expect as standard.

This model is already in development within the factory in China and paint swatches etc have also been approved.

However these is still a way to go with this model and I would ideally love to produce the O&K hoppers as well but have been unable to source the plans for these as yet.

Within 12 months of going ahead with it, if not sooner.

China have all they need now, right down to decoration artwork, paint sample, pantones etc.

The only thing that might take longer would be getting the sprung pantos done accurately, but if they don't cause much hassle I'd say 12 months at this time, but I'll know closer to going into final cad/cam and starting tooling.

However this model will have full visibility 71, as there isn't, as far as I know, anyone else doing an RTR 92 so I don't have to keep info back on progress etc.

Cheers

Dave

Sounds familiar, no?

. It just seems such a shame that all the crowdfunded proposals for N models are geared around modern prototypes. Is it really the case that there is no similar appetite for a similarly crowdfunded steam loco due to different demographic and these modellers being less willing to buy in to principles of crowdfunding?

To a large extent the answer is fairly obvious - the people behind the companies (DJM and Revolution) are modern enthusiasts so they are bound to have a propensity to select and promote projects that appeal to them. It would be a bit like expecting and insisting that Union Mills produced an AC electric locomotive for their next product.

However, there would be nothing to stop you commissioning a steam loco and trying to get crowdfunding backing for it's development and production. I'd be interested in hearing about it.

G.

To a large extent the answer is fairly obvious - the people behind the companies (DJM and Revolution) are modern enthusiasts so they are bound to have a propensity to select and promote projects that appeal to them. It would be a bit like expecting and insisting that Union Mills produced an AC electric locomotive for their next product.

However, there would be nothing to stop you commissioning a steam loco and trying to get crowdfunding backing for it's development and production. I'd be interested in hearing about it.

G.

Hi Grahame,

Agree, and I'd welcome anyone that wants to commission a fell loco, or an N gauge GT3 too :-)

Nothing sinister implied Dave,

More a comment towards the time scales (the 92 appears to be at a similar level of the development cycle as the 59 was when announced), back then you said it would take about 18 months, but the 92 will only take 12 just slightly puzzled (I mean I hope it only takes 12, that would be fantastic). Really should have explained my post more, hope this wasn't taken the wrong way, my apologies if so. (I look forward to the OO one).

Kind Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

might have to stick my name down for 1. not sure on which livery i would go for, as I already have EWS, GBRf and Cali sleeper CJM ones, probably a DB Schenker or a grey beasties one.

Alistair 

Edited by alibuchan
  • Like 1

Nothing sinister implied Dave,

More a comment towards the time scales (the 92 appears to be at a similar level of the development cycle as the 59 was when announced), back then you said it would take about 18 months, but the 92 will only take 12 just slightly puzzled (I mean I hope it only takes 12, that would be fantastic). Really should have explained my post more, hope this wasn't taken the wrong way, my apologies if so. (I look forward to the OO one).

Kind Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Cheers mate,

The problem with the 59, was that another party announced one, and as such it became a race to get permissions.

Exclusive was given to the other party on one livery, which was a popular one, whereas I has the nod on another very popular livery that was also announced by the other party, who had the advantage early on.

It rumbled far longer than I would have liked and now i wish I has kept with it as I know I could have produced a lovely model. Ho hum,these things happen and will continue to happen while the slices of pie get smaller each year.

No worries and thanks for explaining.

Cheers

Dave

A very welcome announcement DJM Dave, any modern liveries for me from EWS Beastie onwards.

Hi mate,

All liveries for the crowdfunding project will be announced later this week along with an 'expressions of interest' page on my website so you can 'sign up' for 1 or 7, lol

Cheers

Dave

Cheers mate,

The problem with the 59, was that another party announced one, and as such it became a race to get permissions.

Exclusive was given to the other party on one livery, which was a popular one, whereas I has the nod on another very popular livery that was also announced by the other party, who had the advantage early on.

It rumbled far longer than I would have liked and now i wish I has kept with it as I know I could have produced a lovely model. Ho hum,these things happen and will continue to happen while the slices of pie get smaller each year.

No worries and thanks for explaining.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, 

Can sympathise with yourself, we were planning a OO RTR loco (also crowdfunded) and were waiting for livery permission when I was informed another more established party was working on it (who and what I will refrain from saying until it is announced). An expensive and unfortunate but as you say Ho hum.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, 

Can sympathise with yourself, we were planning a OO RTR loco (also crowdfunded) and were waiting for livery permission when I was informed another more established party was working on it (who and what I will refrain from saying until it is announced). An expensive and unfortunate but as you say Ho hum.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I've had it happen a couple of times now. It's an unfortunate risk we take and you genuinely have my sympathies.