New N gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 electric locomotive project

DJM Dave

I don't necessarily agree that duplication is so damaging. Sure, it means another prototype may not be done which is a negative; but on the flip side it does mean customers have choice and does force manufacturers to their best given there's a direct comparison. It does seem too that in some cases the market is big enough, e.g. the class 66 which have been extesively produced by both Farish and Dapol in large numbers.

Cheers,

Alan

Forcing them "to their best" = more features = more money pumped into the project...while possibly pricing themselves out of the market, as a cheaper alternative would be available, at a price which would suite a more realistic budget. So they would potentially end up losing money. This is especially damaging with locos of small numbers in class, as they would have limited geographical appeal, so most purchases would probably be impulse.

The 66 is a rare exception. Very numerous, gets literally everywhere, with enough livery variants available to divide the manufacturers, and enough running numbers to safely avoid direct duplication.

Regards,

Matt

Forcing them "to their best" = more features = more money pumped into the project...while possibly pricing themselves out of the market, as a cheaper alternative would be available, at a price which would suite a more realistic budget.

There's no evidence for this on the few duplicates there's been - the Farish B1 is roundly acknowledged to be better than the Dapol one - but it's no more expensive than any other loco....

...and the 66s are fairly evenly matched, both in price and quality.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid your assumption is wrong. Unless Dave is building in a profit margin over and above the time he puts in to helping these come to fruition then I very much doubt this and any other 'crowd funded' project will be funding his other projects.

At the price quoted I can't really see there is much in it for him on the first run of models. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to hope Dave is building in a profit margin... He's not a charity, and it's a pretty disastrous way to run a business if he hasn't. I doubt we'll see a 92, or anything else if that's the case!

It has ALWAYS been said by Dave that the N-gauge locos would not provide him with enough sales volume to justify them being before the OO J94 in the queue.

Like most manufacturers projects depend on SALES, and the N-gauge market is much smaller than the OO. The OO J94 is now in the UK- I have my 71515 on the desk in front of me now, and has the potential to generate enough re-runs to keep cashflow going and pay for the Class 17 and subsequent models in N.

I'm happy to wait for the Class 17, Q6, J94 and Hudswell to appear in N, and for the Hudswell in OO. None of the other locos float my boat- but having now GOT the first of my "vapourware" J94s, I'm more than happy to keep my pre-orders for versions still in the factory/on the boat, and to get a couple more of the Hattons specials as soon as my payPal balance will stand it.

In OO, crowdfunding has allowed Dave's Class 71 to jump the queue, and it has proved good enough to attract retailer commissions. You want a 92- sign up or be prepared to wait in the queue.

Les

PS- to answer Dr Al the Farish B1 may be acknowledged to be a better loco than the Dapol, but my six Dapol B1s are knocking up high exhibition mileage with a 100% level of reliability and consistent strength not matched by any of my Farish steamers other than the 2MT- and second only to my larger fleet of Dapol A3s.

Edited by Les1952

I would think at £130 a loco at least £40 is profit per item.....  hopefully that will then be re-invested into making the items people refer to as "Vapourware" a reality such as the Baby Deltic & the Clayton??

OR Les are you implying that any profits from a crowdfunded class 92 would be better served invested into making more profitable 00 models ?

Edited by Only-Me

Hi everyone,

As promised here are the crowdfunded N gauge models including product codes, running numbers and liveries.

There are 1 or 2 notable omissions but this is down to permissions, and / or not wanting to dilute the spread of models so that the minimum order quantity is reached rather than isn't.

As always, there will only be enough made of each model to satisfy demand, and only a few extra for spares / repairs. Therefore, like the OO gauge class 71, you will have a truly unique model as, again like the 71, i will not be repeating the livery / running number combination.

'Expressions of Interest' will now open on my web site early next week, and i will let you all know here when it does.

cheers

Dave

Class 92 N gauge Crowfunded models.

DJM-L-N-00001A    92016 DBSchenker Red

DJM-L-N-00001B    92023 SNCF cab logo (triple Grey unbranded) 'Ravel'

DJM-L-N-00001C    92032 GBRf / Europorte livery

DJM-L-N-00001D    92001 EWS Maroon 'Victor Hugo'

DJM-L-N-00001E    92030 Railfreight Distribution branded Triple Grey 'Ashford'

Make your 'expression of interest' here.........  http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

• Like 6

I would think at £130 a loco at least £40 is profit per item.....  hopefully that will then be re-invested into making the items people refer to as "Vapourware" a reality such as the Baby Deltic & the Clayton??

OR Les are you implying that any profits from a crowdfunded class 92 would be better served invested into making more profitable 00 models ?

How Dave uses profits from one model to fund the next is of course entirely up to Dave.

I was basically pointing out that crowdfunding a loco allows it to jump the funding queue, and that if not crowd funded that loco would have to wait its turn in the queue for money. Beyond that, anything read into the post wasn't in my thinking when I typed it- other than comments regarding the Dapol B1.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Hi everyone,

The N gauge class 92 crowdfunding 'expressions of interest' is now up and running on my web site........

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Please note that these loco's are also being offered with factory sound decoder and speaker fitted complete with leggomanbiffo class 92 sounds, as well as plain vanilla DCC ready.

If you order you should get an auto generated receipt for your choices. So if you don't, please check your spam folder just in case it ends up there.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

If you order you should get an auto generated receipt for your choices. So if you don't, please check your spam folder just in case it ends up there.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

No automated email received either in my inbox or junk mail folders.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

No automated email received either in my inbox or junk mail folders.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

i can confirm the system received your order and sent out an automated response (to somewhere. lol) at 9.34 last night.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I entered my expression this morning, no email so far.

I know there's a ballpark cost for the 92 at £130, do you have an idea how much extra the DCC Sound version would be?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the posting, and i can confirm i received your 'expression' today.

Again not sure whats happening to some receipts, but i'll look into it.

Currently the decoder and speaker is going to cost around £110.00 on top of the loco price, but will be factory fitted and marked as such, and as such fully warrantied by DJM

I'll firm this up a bit closer to deposit time as obviously i might get a reasonable discount for buying in bulk etc so i can pass that on.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry for re-posting, but I thought it's better to have all my questions in one post rather than scattered. Easy for you to answer.

•  Earlier you stated that the crowd-funding would take place in stages (i.e. CAD & Tooling, EP Samples and then Final Payment). Can you please tell us what the approx. cost is at each stage?
  • When will you be able to give us a proper price figure?
  • Are you only taking credit card payments or can debit cards be used?
  • And for a postal address, can I have another address put in i.e. a family member staying in England? I'm sending it to an uncle in England as I seriously cannot afford today's customs charges.

Hi Dave,

Sorry for re-posting, but I thought it's better to have all my questions in one post rather than scattered. Easy for you to answer.

•  Earlier you stated that the crowd-funding would take place in stages (i.e. CAD & Tooling, EP Samples and then Final Payment). Can you please tell us what the approx. cost is at each stage?
  • When will you be able to give us a proper price figure?
  • Are you only taking credit card payments or can debit cards be used?
  • And for a postal address, can I have another address put in i.e. a family member staying in England? I'm sending it to an uncle in England as I seriously cannot afford today's customs charges.

Hi,

Yes crowd funding deposits will be asked for in 3 stages. No further monies will be required and the final price will include special delivery 'tracked' in the price but the overall cost will be no more than £140.00 all in.

You will be able to pay by debit card although I'd prefer credit card.

No problem with alternate addresses, and I fully understand.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

Yes crowd funding deposits will be asked for in 3 stages. No further monies will be required and the final price will include special delivery 'tracked' in the price but the overall cost will be no more than £140.00 all in.

You will be able to pay by debit card although I'd prefer credit card.

No problem with alternate addresses, and I fully understand.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave...

• RMweb Premium

To that end, what are the next steps? I presume there's a minimum order threshold to make the project viable, and also minimum thresholds for each individual livery? Achieving the former cannot be done without also achieving at least one livery on the latter? Ie if you need to sell 500 in total, and at least 200 of each livery, if you get 100 of each livery that won't be enough although the total will exceed 500...? How long are you leaving the expressions of interest open to make that call?

Also, apologies if sounding like a broken record, but just want to hear it from the horse's mouth - grey with EWS beasties is out, for no reason other than you've chosen not to offer it? Just want to make sure there's not a second tranche that includes that livery when you get Caledonian Sleeper permission, as that will absolutely change my desire to take up my expressions of interest I registered last night!

Edited by njee20