NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

Hi everyone, 

With my withdrawal from the crowdfunded class 86/87 initiative i have been busy working on the class 92 initiative instead.

I have drawn up the specifications as follows below and this will go live later next week on my web site for 'expressions of interest' so that i can gauge numbers that are truly interested over the coming months.

cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------

OO Gauge Class 92, Driven on all wheels on both bogies, heavy chassis, correct lighting, including night setting, underside switches for cab and directional. Next22 DCC socket, 2 scale pantographs (sprung) EM, P4 and OO compatible, Coreless motor, Fully DCC sound compatible with room for a huge base reflex speaker (cant you just hear those traction motor fans already?), NEM coupling pocket, soft Sprung buffers, separate bogie steps, handrails, etched 'parked' windscreen wipers, etched grilles all round and on top, fully painted and detailed cab interior including painting of cab window blinds and mechanism, etched nameplates and tunnel logos where necessary, etched arrows and depot plaques where necessary, Ultra flush glazing, fully detailed bogies and underside equipment, Customer fitted 3rd rail shoes for closeness to third rail fitting, Removable close coupling mechanism, Replacement front 'valance' for no coupling pocket hole, Etched cab roof light surround, Fine detail panel join lines around the lower cab front, fully modeled coupling hook reinforcement plate and detail.

Crowdfunding price TBC but approximately £150.00 per model    

Follow this link to the 'expressions of interest' page....      http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

post-1144-0-37249300-1471017279.jpg

post-1144-0-89638500-1471017315_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Good luck with this. I often stood on the platform at West Brompton waiting for an Overground train, when one of these would roar through the station on a freight. They had an immensely strong presence.

I am not remotely interested in buying one, but with these and your intelligence about 2 other manufacturers both producing 86s and 87s (does that make them all at sixes and sevens...?!), it seems like a good time is just around the corner for AC modellers...

Paul

Never heard one on the juice before

Mind you, only ever seen the one sat at decoy yard pan down in EWS TTG with beastie sticker over the old RfD diamonds

Must be about three year or so back

That's largely because I lived off the ELL and the NLL at Stratford by the junction with the GEML so it was all 86s and 90s and the rarer 70 or 66.

Jon

I've never heard one either. It's a noisy beast for an electric isn't it?

Oh it's noisy alright, that's for sure.

I'm sure someone will find some clip on you tube with one 'roaring' away.

Cheers

Dave

Edit, actually BR's posting further up of a clip he put up shows just how audible the loco is.

Great announcement Dave and I wish you well...I'll certainly be in for one as I remember them roaring through Preston on intermodal workings a couple of years ago and more recently on the 'Tesco Express'...could 'Bart the Engine' be a possible commission?

As to how noisy they are...they aren't nicknamed Dysons for nothing...

Many thanks and I look forward to seeing this develop,

Jack.

well that's not the update I was expecting but I can understand you leaving the 86s and 87s though. I just hope those are solid rumours and we don't have several other manufacturers all backing away leaving no one doing them! I wouldn't really have thought the 86s and 87s were so suited to crowdfunding with the huge variety of eras and liveries and variations.

I'll still have a 92 though, one in one of the original liveries as they're at the tail end of my modelling era.

would there be any common parts with the class 89? strangely enough I'd find it in a couple of liveries more of interest

I remember the first time I saw one I was at Carlisle when one came through on test. I was on the phone to my mum it was so noisy I had to hang up on her as I couldn't hear a thing. I always thought the lima model was much better than the Hornby model

Why the NEM662 Next18 socket in the N-gauge. Is there only room for the 25mm x 10.5mm and not room for a 25mm x 11mm (or even 30x16) NEM658 Plux16 socket to keep decoder costs down and provide a connection for a stay alive? Probably room for a stay alive capacitor in a 92! Adding the stay alive capacitors to the PCB will probably add £2 to the cost, which might be too much - but it will set a trend even if just the provision to solder on 10x 47uF multilayer ceramics is made.

The Next18 socket only has 14 circuits because four pins are doubled up.

The PluX16 has 15 circuits, just losing one pin to the index pin. The extra circuit used for a stay alive capacitor.

Both have four standard lighting functions and two logic level.

• RMweb Premium

This is great news if this comes to fruition - I would buy several.

In terms of liveries, I'd go entirely for the original triple grey that was seen on the majority of the fleet though I'm sure the fancy new liveries of today will add some novelty value!

Price-wise, the £150 sounds just right, in reality, if it's a dealbreaker personally I'd probably stretch a bit more (£160-170) given that it's a fair chunk of model you're getting and vs the Hornby Class 60 equivalent. Pulling power would have to match a Hornby '60' for representing reasonable Channel Tunnel trains, but sounds like you've got the spec covered above!

Pantographs - would be good to have a reliable clip to keep the pan's down while in 'third rail'-mode - pantographs on some of my Hornby 92s annoyingly would randomly spring up now and then haha!

Overall, sounds a great project and hope this one gets enough interest to move forward! For my own interests, I'd probably look to purchase 3-4 initially with potentially more over a longer time period.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

Hi Dave

I really hope this comes to fruition for you.

I know it's very early but two questions if I may please:

1) Will this be like the Dapol Western and have customer involvement all the way through the design process?

2) With the original triple grey livery will you be doing short runs in say EPS/SNCF as well as BR markings?

Good luck and if this happens I will get at least one.

Hi Dave

I really hope this comes to fruition for you.

I know it's very early but two questions if I may please:

1) Will this be like the Dapol Western and have customer involvement all the way through the design process?

2) With the original triple grey livery will you be doing short runs in say EPS/SNCF as well as BR markings?

Good luck and if this happens I will get at least one.

Hi,

to answer your questions, 1) yes, and 2) wait until later this coming week to find out :-)

Cheers

Dave