Bachmann Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-2T Old & New

Riddles

• RMweb Gold

Have just received mine in chilly NZ.

Have already replaced the smoke box dart with a Mainly Trains one. Am keen to add the lifting eyes. Does anyone know of an etched brass item? These have alluded me so far, have tried using black plasticard with the hole punch but an etched item would be best.

Bit of scrap etch + drill + file + pliers = Job done in less time than it takes looking fruitlessly for a set to buy.

If you can make them in plastic, you can make them in brass.

John

I have recently run my original 31-452A 41202 and it runs fine. It was easily one of the best (and last) of the pre-Blue Riband Bachmann locos, for which I paid something like £36 some years ago. So fine, I have an operational 2MT 2-6-2T but it isn't up to snuff with the rest of the Ivatt "hat trick" from Bachmann.

For some years we have only had two of the Ivatt "hat trick" to modern standards - the 2MT and 4MT moguls are superb models. The tank as well would be brilliant. So I do concur with those who think the new release should have been a full re-tool.

And the whole trio is vital in  any representation of latter-day steam branch/light main line operations.

Of course the Fairburn is a very good model at say £106 but it isn't in any way a throwback like the Ivatt at £110 or £131 DCC

In that kind of price ballpark or just a tad higher I can get an exclusive limited edition Beattie Well Tank, Adams 02 or USA tank, considering what value I'd be getting for the money.

• RMweb Premium

I am interested to know how soon and by how much these will be discounted by the big box shifters once the twelve week or however long it is period no discount window expires...

• RMweb Gold

I am interested to know how soon and by how much these will be discounted by the big box shifters once the twelve week or however long it is period no discount window expires...

Well...maybe...but don't hold your breath.Even after the embargo period,Bachmann recent release discounts seem hard to come by.They have a much stricter control on supply and retail distribution than their major competitor Witness the ebay selling pattern on new Hornby models is nowhere apparent with Bachmann. Fewer numbers = fewer  (if any ) discounts.

I get the impression that replacement chimneys are not available anymore. I know that Comet did one but it has been removed from the catalogue.

Is my impression true?

Regards

I contacted Comet a couple of years ago seeking alternative chimneys for the 2MT tender loco. Alas, they only made enough for their kits. This may have changed with new ownership, but unlikely.

I have to say, looking at the excellent close-up photos from SDJR88, Bachmann should be cringing at such shoddy finishing of a model at the price point they market at; if they continue down this path, I think they will fall from grace in many people's eyes, and wallets!  People still castigate Hornby for 'design clever'... is this really any better?

I hope the Stanier 'Crab' is somewhat better.

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Again the Crab will be an old body, don't know whether it has an improved all new chassis. At this rate, the only Bachmann loco's I can see myself buying are the forthcoming Stanier Mogul 5MT. At least they will be totalling new tooling !

The Stanier Crab is a brand new model. Suspect you are thinking of the Horwich Crab and why would that need a new chassis? - its never been a split chassis one and the model was introduced in 2003 so its 8 years newer than the Ivatt.

Edited by Butler Henderson

Stanier Crab ???? I think you will find that this is another Bachmann re-issue of an old model which in this case is the Hughes Crab. This has been the case with other recent releases, such as the Gresley K3 and 2MT, albeit with an improved chassis in the case of the latter. The only totally new Bachmann LMS loco is the forthcoming Stanier Mogul 5MT. All this has been confirmed by my local model shop.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

Stanier Crab ???? I think you will find that this is another Bachmann re-issue of an old model which in this case is the Hughes Crab. This has been the case with other recent releases, such as the Gresley K3 and 2MT, albeit with an improved chassis in the case of the latter. The only totally new Bachmann LMS loco is the forthcoming Stanier Mogul 5MT. All this has been confirmed by my local model shop.

I think there might be a little misunderstanding here. The Stanier Crab and the Stanier Mogul are the same thing and a different class from the Crab proper, designed by Hughes. As Butler Henderson says, the Crab is a fairly new model but the Stanier Crab is a new tooling. The Crab had steeply angled cylinders and heavy slide bars whereas the Stanier Crab had horizontal cylinders and different slide bars. The two were designed to do the same job but there are many points of difference between them.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by No Decorum

I get the impression that replacement chimneys are not available anymore. I know that Comet did one but it has been removed from the catalogue.

Is my impression true?

Regards

Your right about them not doing the chimney any more, i have 41298 sitting on my work bench  with no chimney.

Started the model knowing that they did the chimney, went to order it, no sign of it any more on their site.

Darren

Edited by darren01

Just wondering if anyone has had the top off one and able to show the gubbins inside. Wondering how much space there is on the chassis for a DCC sound decoder. 

Have asked, but think its slipped back in the thread....

The September edition of BRM has a review of the new model that includes a photo of the chassis with the body removed. There is an arrow pointing to an area noted 'Space for Sugarcube Speaker'.

Hope that helps answer your question.

The Stanier Crab is a brand new model. Suspect you are thinking of the Horwich Crab and why would that need a new chassis? - its never been a split chassis one and the model was introduced in 2003 so its 8 years newer than the Ivatt.

Further to which, all the Bachmann steam models introduced 'all new' branded as 'Blue Riband' since the WD 2-8-0 appeared from all new tooling in late 1999 have consistently been a cut above the previous range of split chassis models. The weakest probably the A1 (heavy detail, some poor fits often apparent) and the BR std 5MT (cab side to roof transition not quite right) both early introductions after the WD. Don't think Bachmann can be said to have dropped the ball at any time since in their steam loco introductions: which is what makes these old split chassis bodies on new running gear look rather rough. We are used to consistently better than that from this source...

Bit unfair - what about Hornby re-issues of far more older models than Bachmann have.

Hardly unfair, all down I'm afraid to personal preference. I'm somewhat subjective and particular when handing over my cash and yes there're models that Hornby produce that I won't buy. When you look at the pricing of the re-issued 2MT against let's say a Hornby main range Black 5 (dating from 2001/2) I know which I'd rather have. Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Hardly unfair, all down I'm afraid to personal preference. I'm somewhat subjective and particular when handing over my cash and yes there're models that Hornby produce that I won't buy. When you look at the pricing of the re-issued 2MT against let's say a Hornby main range Black 5 (dating from 2001/2) I know which I'd rather have.

That assumes you choose locos in much the same way you might want to buy a can of tinned vegetables but aren't bothered which sort so long as a can costs 40p.

Yes, the Bachmann Ivatt is expensive for what it is, but nobody else makes one and, if you model certain eras and areas, it's pretty much a must have loco. 

I agree that the price-point is roughly where an all-new model should sit and, if (for instance) Hornby were making one at the same price as their Radial, I wouldn't look twice at Bachmann's effort. However, they aren't and I don't have any use for another Black Five whereas my old Ivatt is nearly worn out..

My reaction to the value-for-money issue is that I'll be buying a single replacement for "old faithful" rather than the intended pair, The body will get upgraded in line with my earlier example which will, in turn, get a Perseverance chassis. Once that's built, I'll have my desired brace.

However, I acquired the chassis kit some years ago and have gradually amassed most of what else I'll need fairly cheaply since. If I had to go out and buy everything today, it would cost almost the same as buying the new loco.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit unfair - what about Hornby re-issues of far more older models than Bachmann have.

A level playing field comparison in this respect is with the LMS/LMR/SDJR 2P.....which is now so heavily discounted they qualify for a place in every box of Rice Crispies.That also has an "upgraded" chassis.

I note that the new Hornby Hall  WR release  is now some £20 cheaper than its forefather "Rood Ashton Hall" was on release.Somebody has learned something on the way.....No,I think the criticism stands and is anything but "unfair"....especially when you compare this tank with Bachmann's own brilliant Fairburn and now with the release of the equally good split box Class 40's priced at £118.95 "to go".

As a tenor,I sing "Go Compare" (but I don't earn his kind of money)