Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Has been pretty quiet since the Cheltenham show. Have hired the local church hall a couple of times - the last time layout went up all was fine and we had a running session - see http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/8mK0UYVAwGQ for youtube video footage. Heres a couple of stills - the natural lighting was superb as the sun set! James got a couple of stunning shots ......

post-7138-126843315276_thumb.jpg

post-7138-126843319965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heres another as D5401 heads back north to Brum

Note to self - turned buffer heads on all the wagons would look much better - hang on a mo - 200 wagons - thats 800 buffer heads .....:O

post-7138-0-09973000-1295182019_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see a class 27 so far South.

If you believe the rumours, 85B will receive some class 22's later this year and that eventually all the class 27's will be sent to Scotlandbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Hi Trevor

Oh yes I believe the rumours - they have been a long time getting here, prototypical I suppose!

Phil

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK - we are now getting to the point where we are thinking about prototypical operation

I have a 71-72 WTT and was planning to use that as a basis for sequential operation with "time warp" trains from 1967 - 1977 slipped in when appropriate to enhance variety - OK its an excuse for more hydraulics!. Got to change a lot of loco headcodes though.

So my question is - how does this fare as a mode of operation? Would anyone who has used it care to comment please?

Many thanks

Phil B

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Why Abbotswood?

Heres why....

Favourite photo of all time... 8.12.76 1048, 20228/119. Many thanks to Mike King for copying this superb photo for my use.

Was this the last time a Whizzo worked the clay?

1048 Western Lady Abbotswood.zip

Phil

This train with 1048 was 6V06, the 08.50 Stoke to St Blazey and was the last 1000 hauled 6V06. 1041 worked 6V53 on the 31st December, 6th January '77, 1058 on the 15th; 1010 on the 21st; 1013 on the 24th, that was the last 'Clay' working to Bescot.

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In Dapol Class 22 thread Brush veteran said:

"Purely nostalgic! Phil, you have captured the era and the ambience magnificently. Well done and look forward to seeing more!"

That is very kind BV - many thanks. The locos are almost entirely down to my son James - and you probably dont need to think too hard to realise where the source material that has allowed these super locos to be replicated has come from. We owe you a huge vote of thanks for making your material available to allow us to fulfil our vision. There are many more locos that are yet to appear all of the same ilk.

And for those who might not have seen it heres the link to youtube again:

Phil and James

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

What is your exhibition schedule looking like please ? - I must come and see it when i get the chance

Thanks

STEVE

Hi Steve

RMweb Open July 2012

85A Open Day October 2012 - see http://www.miac.org.uk/updates.htm for updates

Cheltenham Spring 2013

Hope you can make it to one of these

Always open to other offers!

Kind regards

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all

Had the layout up at the weekend for a pre Stafford shake down - all faults fixed (now thats a prediction!) and routes programmed in to ECoS

Looking forwards to meeting folks at Stafford - please come and say hello to newbies.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Priorities for Stafford?

Tidy the scenery?

Finish relaying the visible part of the Cotswold line?

Finish timetable?

Get those signals working?

Well - spent all day on the signals. This is the third attempt - but so far so good - cobalt motors can be programmed in to routes, actuating via wire in tube and a crank underneath the signal - should be removable, a major consideration to avoid damage in transit.

Moment of truth may come on Thursday dependant on weather (if it rains no fishing!), down main starter and down loop starter are nearly ready to install on layout.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Chickened out of the fishing and focused on the signals - after a trip to Howes to collect aforemementioned sound locos but bad news for D373 - is duff so no show.

Looking good on the signals front - with a bit of luck the down signals will all be working, cant wait to get them intregrated in to some routes!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We really enjoyed members day! Fantastic chance to make new friends and put faces to names.....

Transport was a bit of a mare though - lost an hour and a half Friday night due to late return of van from previous hirer. Was I a happy bunny .... not!

Hence no time to get signals working but luckily the layout - and the crew - behaved pretty well apart from hissy fit from the layout just as film crew were on hand... oh well

Any way, we would be very happy - please - to hear constructive comments from viewers. Natalie - many thanks for your signalling and operational comments, appreciated!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

We really enjoyed members day! Fantastic chance to make new friends and put faces to names.....

Transport was a bit of a mare though - lost an hour and a half Friday night due to late return of van from previous hirer. Was I a happy bunny .... not!

Hence no time to get signals working but luckily the layout - and the crew - behaved pretty well apart from hissy fit from the layout just as film crew were on hand... oh well

Any way, we would be very happy - please - to hear constructive comments from viewers. Natalie - many thanks for your signalling and operational comments, appreciated!

Cheers

Phil

Very impressive I thought Phil although most of the running I did manage to see was from a distance :O

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks

The dust is settling (again) following Chris Nevards visit. As photos are for Model Rail I havent published any on here but as expected Chris's work is superb - highlights all our errors!!

Any way layout is out again this weekend - 85A Open Day, see MIAC web site - thoroughly recommended for those with an interest in steam and railway operation in the 60s.

As the day is mostly about steam am busy chipping some of our locos - but not sound

Castle

Hall

Grange

Collett Goods

Pannier

Jubilee x 2

Standard 4 x 2

9f x 2

City of Truro

And the occasional diesel might just have to appear.....

Should give us a nice bit of variety - hope to get some pictures/videos up from this weekend

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Steam chipping didnt go quite to plan....

We have ended up with

Wish I had a bit more time to covert some of those to 85A based locos! And no panniers as the ones we have are not DCC ready....

Easiest to chip? 6869/48154 with the chips in the locos - enough has been said already about those plug/socket arrangements on the later Hornby locos.

Fiddliest? 92220 - getting the chip to sit in the smokebox.

And put a chip in 44871 but it got no further than half way round the test track before it halted with a prototypical amount of smoke issuing from the chimney and a nasty smell - what happened there then ? will investigate after the weekend!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Just unloaded the van so chilling out this Sunday evening

85A open day went well but no chance for photos or vids as single handed for a lot of the day - but hopefully the assembled masses will post some elsewhere that I can link to

Some very interesting conversations with Worcester railwaymen as a result of which some very interesting prototype photos are due to emerge - watch this space hopefully!

Also interesting suggestions for further additions - milepost 69, oak tree in field on up side, and footpath - in addition to details I know are needed , a missing gate and gradient posts. Oh and Norton Junction's OWW down distant is most definitely not where we have sited it as home is just the other side of the bridge!

Mike many thanks for the curtains - SWMBO sewed them to length, they really looked excellent. You can hide some shabby timberwork under a nice skirt.....

All in all a great trip out, only down side is the two Jubilees both let the side down, 45562 with continual derailment of bogie (? fouling on front steps, exam required) and 45659 which as a result of slipping on load 9 bent the radius rod leading to periodic jamming of LH valve gear. Fettling required! 92220 walked away with the 18 tanks + 4 spacer wagons (steel opens) plus brake - many comments around that train representing the Albion tanks but the best was a discussion around the day the Fawley - Bomford Bridge tanks went up in flames at Didcot - the Worcester crew sat at Oxford reckoned they could hear and see the explsions as tank wagons exploded.

All in all yesterday was a great day out!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1