Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Pondering the layout this weekend. Did lots of scenic work for Chris Nevard's visit which stood us in good stead for the 85A open day

Operationally main problem has been crossovers on scenic boards shorting. Should have done it properly first time - so now all points on middle scenic board are lifted, to be refitted and frogs to be powered by hex frog juicer and blades bonded to avoid continuety issues.

If works ok on middle board then will also do junction board - should allow reliable shunting come Cheltenham exhibition in April

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard

Have concluded I ought to install point rodding before reballasting so that might help with Beast's suggestion that the track bed looks very tidy!

Hydraulic fleet currently comprises D843/844, D1013/1067, D6320/6331, D7050/7057/7093 and D9525. D1048 will be added when new Dapol model emerges. Whizzo on the Clay or 1M22, Warship or Hymek on 5B73 Malago vale vans, 6E15 freight to Stratford and 22s on Gloucester engineers trippers are favourite workings

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like we are off to ABRAIL in Abingdon on 2nd March

Any other RMWebbers going?

Phil

Oh excellent - as a regular Abrail visitor I shall look forward to seeing you there (daughter usually has a day off for Abrail as we have a set itinerary, subject to parking at the final location of, of Abrail, pub in Long Whittenham, Pendon  and then home - makesa  good day out, especially as daughter usually pays in the pub).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds an excellent plan Mike!

Layout looks smart with those lovely curtains now SWMBO has cut them to length and hemmed them

Look forwards to seeing you again

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks George - very kind of you.

Looks like will be appearing in MR soon, probably May edition I think

Another filming session planned for warmer days, best in the garden - with some new motive power

KR

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enjoyed Abrail although with only a 2 man crew for a one day show was tough work - esp as yours truly knackered following motorbike accident Thursday last

Layout ran well and good to meet up with RMwebbers again - Great to chat SM and thanks for the signalling tutorial Missy

There was a lot of filming activity - was that anyone from here I wonder?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed Abrail although with only a 2 man crew for a one day show was tough work - esp as yours truly knackered following motorbike accident Thursday last

Layout ran well and good to meet up with RMwebbers again - Great to chat SM and thanks for the signalling tutorial Missy

There was a lot of filming activity - was that anyone from here I wonder?

Cheers

Phil

Ah, excellent - nice to see you again Phil and good to hear you got the signalling tutorial (and nice to see the layout working smoothly).

PS THe sausage, egg & chips at The Plough was top notch ;) but we didn't make Pendon this trip as time was going on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure you are allowed sausages after the latest news Mike. mind you if like me its a bit late in life....!!!!

Any ways heres a video of the layout at Abingdon - many thanks to Rob Webb for filmimg

Phil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure you are allowed sausages after the latest news Mike. mind you if like me its a bit late in life....!!!!

Any ways heres a video of the layout at Abingdon - many thanks to Rob Webb for filmimg

Phil

Nice video Phil although I remain to be convinced by some of the sounds on the locos (some are excellent but others not so clever in my view).  And guess what - sausages and a burger for dinner tonight (well the burger was home made from top quality mince so I'm not now looking for a bale of hay).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice video Phil although I remain to be convinced by some of the sounds on the locos (some are excellent but others not so clever in my view).  And guess what - sausages and a burger for dinner tonight (well the burger was home made from top quality mince so I'm not now looking for a bale of hay).

Cheers Mike

22s need a better sound file, roll on MAN engine in D832 - what else floats your boat - or sinks it?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike

22s need a better sound file, roll on MAN engine in D832 - what else floats your boat - or sinks it?

Phil

The EE based locos all sounded quite good but the Sulzer engined Type 4s didn't seem right to me - possibly the effect of field weakening isn't right (on the Brush 4/Class47) as the sound it should make coming off the junction and opening up didn't come over at all well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Mike

That may just have been our lazy driving - with a 2 man crew and me yakking out the front trains were sometimes just left to run a while meaning that sound chips were not being challenged - and that was mostly the Sulzers.

Best effect is to run slowly through hidden sidings then up the controller a couple of notches as she comes under the bridge....

KR

Phil

• Like 1

Phil

always good to see shots of this layout.

Any Dapol westerns planned and i keep hearing news of a class 43 being planned somewhere.

As you may of read i have 2 Dapol westerns blow the blanking plates on dc operation and in the meantime have detailing up my Heljan ones on old oak.Pity is that the maroon ones look good but cant get a blue one to the same stds so will still go for dapols version with or without lights as is a far better looking western.

another good watchable video.

regards.

richard.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Waiting for a Dapol Blue wizzo, this week hopefully

As for a 43 - lets see what Bacchy say tomorrow, there are two part works sitting on the work bench already but those roof hatches are a pain, need them open...!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheltenham show next trip out - weekend after Easter

Additional motive power and improved shuntability on the agenda before then

And theres still the signals - need to try Missy's methodology I think!

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a great weekend at Cheltenham show - thanks to all who came to say hello - this has to be the icing on the cake.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70421-model-rail-182-may-2013/

More of Mr Nevards excellent photos lurking therein.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for letting me help this weekend Phil, a pleasure to spend the weekend driving trains on a layout that (apart from a couple of points in the fiddle yard) runs very nicely and has huge operating potential in quite a small footprint.

Andi

• Like 1