Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for letting me help this weekend Phil, a pleasure to spend the weekend driving trains on a layout that (apart from a couple of points in the fiddle yard) runs very nicely and has huge operating potential in quite a small footprint.

Andi

Thanks everso Andi - we would have most certainly struggled without you and as always your contribution went far beyond operation

See email to follow

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Page 3 Mike? Cant quite match that fame am afraid!

And as always photography can be brutal, made worse by Chris's superb shots.. Noted already -

No crew in 1013 (thanks Chris!)

Signals are not vertical

No number plates on red Mini - should be 829 BOR, belonged to Brian Thomas

1696's body not attached correctly

Furthermore latest youtube videos shot in telephoto mode are cruel to the permanent way too....

So plenty to do!

Next trip out - show in Newport 1st - 2nd June see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/event/844-newport-neon-railway-show/, hopefully a 12 coach sound fitted blue Pullman will be performing and perhaps more new power in the shape of 1662, 7577 and 5826. Also got some cracking new oak trees for the front of the layout on order.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bri.s

Just read the article in modelrail and havebeen an fan of the layout from on rmweb awesome stuff

Don't know the prototype but you've captured the feel of a junction very well its what i want to achieve with my layout can't wait for stage two of the build

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee

Well spotted that man! Whilst base period is 68 - 71 that has to be 76-77 given 1013 in headocde. The period does get stretched a bit as the clays didn't run this route until 74 timetable, but could not leave out the best excuse to run a Wizzo - along with Merchant Venturer Railtour in May 76 and 1013's famous escape to Leeds - was that Jan 77? So that really is the limit of our envelope.

Also of our locos TTG D5382 (now on stud) had gone to Scotland by summer 68 - and D9525 was withdrawn by 69. And D15 lost her nose end doors by 69 too.....

So I guess the run what we like rule applies - within that framework. Its a minefield - the boix went in 69 too.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Just been enjoying your YouTube videos sound really does change a layout

I'd love sound on mine but I think the cost and ease of putting sound in n gauge engines is a bit too out of my range but I have thought downloading sounds onto some sort of pad and being able to press a key and the sound of squealing wheels and clanking buffers does sound appealing

I remember seeing the 2008 video back then and loving the sound Even with bare boards it made it fun to watch

To be honest I didn't realise it was the same layout till just now

And it's nice to see you giving trains a destination with the headcodes and details

That's something I've always liked to see and wanted to do with mine ill have to do a bit of research first into it and train formations first though

Brian

P.s Nether really being bothered with the westerns and warships but for some reason have a soft spot for hymeks

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sound still polarises in to two camps but we are firmly in the camp because - as you say - of the additional dimension. We had 3 pairs of 20s out at Cheltenham -awesome! But afraid you cant beat a hydraulic, there isn't a decent clip of D1048 available yet but hopefully will be after Newport show 1st/2nd June. And just wait for those Bacchy class 43s....

Yup the bare boards were 5 years ago - we have come a long way since then. Now contemplating more bare boards for phase 2 but having learnt a lot hopefully the build will be more efficient

You cant beat a working timetable as a source of gen for a given location and period. Stewart Blencowe is an excellent source - no connection other than a very satisfied customer

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

post-7138-0-59939100-1368375287.jpg

Spent the afternoon replacing ratio plastic fencing with laser cut wooden fencing from Ancorton Models - stained with brown shoe polish.

What a difference!

Have a wooden board crossing from the same source for similar action -  no connection with the supplier other than a satisfied customer

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its a nice day for a bit more gardening.....

The big disadvantage with modelling a prototype is that there are always those who know it well - and we have been pilloried by the Worcestershire mafia for not having the right oak trees in the right place. So here's the first new one - badgers oak, replaced the one behind the signal box so is at the front of the layout.

post-7138-0-31691600-1369581733_thumb.jpg

Photo not on layout  but just needs badgers and nesting crows adding

If the weather stays decent the layout will be up in the garden tomorrow

Phil

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Moved this from the Dapol 22 thread to avoid going OT there.

Brian Kirby said:

Posted Yesterday, 22:20

Well, you'll have to have a Department of Transport inquiry now Phil, although you could pretend it's only an empty stock working, with the guard sitting in the rear loco cab, but that's only o.k. after about 1968/69 i think? I could be wrong, but prior to that the loco was for footplatemen only and guards weren't allowed anywhere near, i believe there was a bit of a hoo-ha at the time about this?

Another question: The Hymek was going to "Stratford", i initially took this as Stratford-Upon-Avon, but then realized it was travelling south, so is it actually going to Stratford, East London? As a kid, i remember seeing Hymeks on the Tottenham & Hampstead line (Gospel Oak to Barking) which were almost certainly running to and from Stratford (Temple Mills), so i probably saw your own train in a weird trans-dimensional way.     BK  :D

Indeed - we are in the proverbial, one other brake vigilante had spotted the omission! Should be in the middle of the rake next to the Gresley Buffet. Was the St Phillips Marsh excursion rake - we were on it from Bristol to Brum behind D1013, then an 86 to Carnforth (a wooden bodied coach up the WCML behind a sparkie? Yup! Stock was 90mph plated I think and the Gresley rode more smoothly than the MK1s!). Then Hardwicke and 61306 plus 4472 to Ravenglass for a trip up the Ratty. What a cracking day out! 1013 was utilised in the layover to take an Adex from Brum to Weston Slushy Mud and back and was waiting for us on our return so was through Abbotswood 4 times that day. Who says intensive motive power utilisation is a modern thing? 

As to 6E15 - you are not the only one to suffer from the Stratford on Avon/East London conundrum - more of which in a mo. In the 68/69 wtt 6E15 was booked off Worcester at 21.10 and ran via Evesham and Oxford but by 70/71 the route was via Gloucester and Swindon - all part of the cunning plan to shift traffic off the Cotswold line prior to singling and closure at night I would guess. This made it the only train in the WTT for the Birmingham - Gloucester line going south with an E headcode - all other E bound trains were heading north via Brum! The Book of the Warships lists the turn as part of a cyclical diagram over 3 days for 3 Class 43 locos so they may have been more common place - not sure if the loco was changed at Acton as outside my sphere of ops but am pretty sure have also seen shots of 43s heading to the Stratford area. We'll model that when the Bacchy version appears and send it via Evesham when phase 2 of the layout gets done.

So back to the Stratford confusion. In my early spotting days at Worcester before we understood how things worked we could sneak in to the shed office lobby and look at the roster board without too much risk of trouble. One day a working appeared - a train of rails from Stratford which we read as 8237. Cue much excitement - to be followed by much disappointment when 8Z37 came from Stratford on Avon behind a local Hymek. Oh well - in the parallel universe it means we can run a Class 15! A class 16 DID appear however - along with several class 17s - en route for scrap at Birds Long Marston

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Aha, I remember 6E15 in those days - back when I used to do the London Division's 'Freight Train Group Return' which I compiled from Guards' journals (when they had been done, Control records when they hadn't) and I'm reasonably sure it stopped at Swindon for traffic purposes in place of another train which had been taken out of the timetable.  I can't remember what the traffic was  - all part of the long lost railway alas.

• Like 3

Not so sure you are allowed sausages after the latest news Mike. mind you if like me its a bit late in life....!!!!

Any ways heres a video of the layout at Abingdon - many thanks to Rob Webb for filmimg

Phil

Never did get to see Abbotswood as I was single manning City Basin Goods throughout the show :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Steve!

I know the feeling, not getting to see other layouts is a penalty of exhibiting 

Next outing looks like GWR diesel gala at the end of July - in the engine shed at Toddington I think

Phil

Guest bri.s

Awesome video

I really enjoy watching this video

Very nice looking layout and trains especially the class 20's on the 16 tonners and the 37's

Keep up the good work

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hi Phil

I enjoyed seeing this layout in Newport recently I was there operating the 0 gauge layout which was upstairs on the balcony overlooking all the other layouts. Some superb modelling and enjoy watching the videos on the layout. How big is the layout and do you have a track plan?

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Scott will get something posted

Had the layout up in the garden yesterday.

More prototypical action - the CWR distortion in the heat meant we had to impose TSRs until things cooled down and stared running reliably later in the day.

Videos to follow in the next few days.

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Afraid the neighbours came round to complain Mike

DId some ballasting so got the hoover out to clean up the excess

Too noisy!!!!

Hee hee

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Afraid the neighbours came round to complain Mike

DId some ballasting so got the hoover out to clean up the excess

Too noisy!!!!

Hee hee

Phil

Bloody NIMBY's.

Should have lent you my hoover, soon have changed their mind!

Mike.