"OO" gauge E.M.U. R-T-R models produced with early BR crests ?

phil gollin

Ignoring the Triang one, can anyone note how many "OO" gauge E.M.U. R-T-R models have been produced with early BR crests on the sides of their power cars ?  I can only vaguely remember that one of Hornby's 2-BILs was ( ? number ? ).

( As a side note, from photos it would seem that the EMUs changed over much more quickly that steam locos.  Does anyone know some late dates for "early crest" EMUs still to be running ?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I think the answer is 'none'.

The Triang 'Sub' lookalike originally came out (1957) with no emblems just numbers, and the following year the early emblem was applied at the same time as the 101 lookalike DMU appeared.

I have already painted out the yellow stripe on a couple of my 2Hals and changed the emblem, so I can use them on 1950s S.E.D. Gillingham services. I still have some more to do, and some yellow front panels to remove too.

I think that by 1961 all SR EMUs had been re-branded with the circular crest. They went through Lancing Works fairly frequently. The 4DD sets certainly were repainted in 1958. The pre-War 'nutcracker'; 4Subs all probably went to the scrapyard with the lion on unicycle emblem, but the other sets were almost certainly updated.  I suspect that by 1959 it was getting rare to see the pre 1956 emblem.

I seem to remember that the shade of Malachite used on SR EMUs  and the new DEMUs from 1956 onwards was a shade or two darker too.

Archived