My Small garden Railway

Bartb

Well after 2 days work, I have managed to get the boards to meet. At the moment they are balanced on some rocks and a few piles that I haven' cemented in. I had to make an adjustment where the trees are, so I will need a short straight bit of Ply to meet up with the other boards. Still have a lot to do but I am pleased it met up alright (Just). Next job is to cut and paint the wooden piles, ready to cement in.

Only balanced for now but I have been Cementing some of the piles in today, still got a bit more to do but I am getting there. Be glad when I can have a good clean up in my garden. I have all that concrete to move yet, should be fun.

post-7669-0-36883800-1528483702_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-25910900-1528483713_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Bart' i'd use the old concrete to make/form a rockery exactly where it is now, chuck a few bags of soil over it and stick some plants in it, or bury it in the same area, it saves a lot of messing about moving it to the tip or elsewhere. Keep up with the good progress. :)

• Like 1

Owd Bob I have been thinking about that as well, it would make for an interesting feature in that corner. Managed to do a bit more today, and I have nearly Joined up the boards. Just a slight adjustment to height to sort out, and a piece of board across the last gap.

• Like 1

I tried wooden baseboards outside but abandoned them in favout of laying the track on a concrete base sort of ballasted with more concrete.

Very solid rot proof but don't let the concrete touch the rails as concrete is a conductor and if enough makes contact with the rails it will short out!

I tried wooden baseboards outside but abandoned them in favout of laying the track on a concrete base sort of ballasted with more concrete.Very solid rot proof but don't let the concrete touch the rails as concrete is a conductor and if enough makes contact with the rails it will short out!

Hi,

The other problem is if built on clay then the concrete will shift and break. I'm trying to get my plastic boards finished, 75% of the garden section is wooden boards and 25% will be various types of plastic.

ATVB

CME

Manged to get a complete circuit around my garden Layout, tho i still have a few things to do to it to get it running right. Waiting for more Roofing felt, and that should be here next week. Feel pleased I manage to get a train running at last, well it is Fathers day.

Edited by Bartb
  • Like 2

I have been concentrating on the garden this week, done some cementing making some small slabs up. Had a tidy up, and bagged up some of the off cuts of wood ready to go down the tip. So next week back to laying the last of the roofing felt, and getting the track back down.

post-7669-0-50623400-1529865144_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

managed to get a few things done on the Railway and the garden, tho the weather has been to hot for me. Best time is in the Morning and evening. when the sun is not so strong. I have wired up and got one point working, tho not the point switch yet. I have put in the third line for part of the layout, but needs some adjustments.  Got the second track on the bridge, and now just need 3 pieces of track to complete the inner circuit. Also put some plants in and done some of the shingle under the railway. Once I have 2 complete circuits, I will go around sorting out a few dips and fix the track down. So we are getting there.

post-7669-0-72265100-1531571230_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-47940800-1531571246_thumb.jpg

post-7669-0-14025300-1531571257_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I now have all the track down, tho I need to go around and sort out a few dips still. Had 2 trains working, but the track could do with a good clean. I have been concentrating on doing the garden, plants and cementing. so will get around to the track as soon as the weather cools down.  I will post some pictures soon.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been out in the garden today working on my control unit, I am making it so you can just plug in wires. Still have a bit to do, and some more painting. I tried it today and it worked well. When it is unplugged, it can go into the shed. I painted it green as I had an old tin of pain in the shed, might paint the top White tho.

post-7669-0-65609500-1534710766_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...