• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Background:

After a few months of no modelling I have decided to have a go at building a small loco shed to hold my small, but growing, collection of LMS and ex-Midland locos.  Having had a look at the Midland volume of the Illustrated History of LMS sheds I have decided to have a go at Wirksworth.  The book contains some history and some good, scaled, elevations; there are also some good photos available across a range of sources.

What's Needed:

What I am looking for is a plan of the shed.  This is to help me model the rear of the building, and to get an idea of how long any pits were.  The book has no plans, and none of the photos I have seen show more than corner of the rear.  Can anyone help me source a plan?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Sounds like an interest concept!  The Midland Railway Study centre list has a couple of plans noted - 2 at 6in to 1 mile (item numbers 20042 and 20048) and a 2 chain plan (88-1997-5/1178).  Theres also a photo listed under 63080.

The information itself isnt online, but visits to Derby can be arranged (I've just been, its a very useful resource and excellent helpful people).

There is a view available on old maps, though it doesnt show any pits. It does show a water tower though.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/428503/353500/12/101062

Unfortunately there isnt a direct link to the catalogue search facility, but it is a very useful resource.  Bottom right from the main page, then catalogue search is in the menu on the right.

http://www.midlandrailwaysociety.org.uk/

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold

For a couple of quid I recommend the reprints of historic OS large scale maps

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/db3414.htm

I order a lot through Alan Godfrey maps and they are good quality and quick to arrive.

Love the sound of Wirksworth shed, hope all goes well with the build.

All the best,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Sorry to take a couple of days to respond, however work has been hectic this week.  Thanks for all the suggestions of where to find answers.

Jub45565:

The first of your links answers the question about the rear of the shed as it shows that there is a 'recess' to the rear of the building.  The building elevations now make much more sense.

Poor Old Bruce:

I do/did have a first edition hardback, which has a plan of the shed.  I loaned it to someone a couple of months ago - the individual in question now can't find it!

Keith:

Thanks for the additional map resources.

The LMS shed book is good for most of the area around Wirksworth, including track plans and photos (except as noted in the OP).  It's a pity that I do not have that kind of space as I think that it would make an interesting model.  What I hope to do is build a model of the shed itself because I like the look of it; I'll then seek out a somewhat more compact Midland plan to add it into (and probably still have to compress it a lot).  I must admit, Tewkesbury is probably a lot more practical for what I have in mind, albeit it's a single road building, but I prefer the building at Wirksworth.

Again, many thanks for the links and references.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

hi Alex,

I checked and the Wirksworth sheet is unfortunately out of print at Alan Godfrey at the moment.

I think you're right about Tewkesbury, it would make a good prototype model, perfect for a 5 by 1 or 6 by 1 type layout.

Good pics and a map on this here posted by a fellow RMWeb-er:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6168-blog-tewkesbury-mpd-s7-prototype-photos/

With the blind-back terraced houses on one side they'd lend themselves to being a backscene, and the malthouse near the loco shed offers a way of hiding a fiddle yard at one end.

all the best,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Once again, thanks for all the wisdom and guidance.  As it didn't look like my copy of the Oakwood book would return I went and ordered another copy.

Saturday evening - ordered online from Bill Hudson books.  Order processed on Monday, posted on Tuesday, and delivered first thing this morning.  Book much better condition than described.  Very impressed by service.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

My brother bought me a book called "Modelling Branch Lines" for xmas last year, that has a plan for Wirksworth in it (I remember as it was an interesting looking location and overall track plan). I'll dig it out and see if it could be of any use to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived