APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Will do. Quick question. There is a part in the pack called 'corrected parts' but can't see from the instruction which parts it is supposed to replace. It looks like parts for the outer top section framework maybe ?

Any Ideas??

Thanks

Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

That was a section, part A or B if I remember correctly, the file was supposed to be deleted, as the new parts have already been added to the normal parts list.  

The be all and end all is, dont worry about that file.

Regards

Paul

Sounds interesting I am number 9 so hope this is a sign of things improving with you

Now that things have settled down, I have started production again, (when time allows).

Only got one printer working at present (fingers crossed it stays that way), only thing slowing me down is, to print a full PC3/4 base (3 parts)  takes around 9 hours.

Hoping to get at least one other printer working this weekend, so can share the print load.

Regards

Paul

Edited by apt-e

Hi All,

I can announce that production of the POP 1 model has re-started, currently working on models 6,7,8,9.

If anyone is still interested, please email me at Paul@apt-e.org with your ticket number, and subject matter POP 1.

N gauge version is coming along nicely, should have some news in the next few weeks on that, maybe even some photos.

Regards

Paul

PS,  Model link is now back up, as to show progress.

http://www.apt-e.org/leadleykits/model.html

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 4

Paul's not kidding, I was at his place recently and there's 3D printers all OVER the place, beavering away printing out tiny bits of POP-Trains! 

I've got my own kit now too, and WOW! It really looks amazing, a superb piece (or pieces...) of work.on Paul's part. It just goes to show the potential of this 3D printing business.  :good:

• Like 2

Paul's not kidding, I was at his place recently and there's 3D printers all OVER the place, beavering away printing out tiny bits of POP-Trains! 

I've got my own kit now too, and WOW! It really looks amazing, a superb piece (or pieces...) of work.on Paul's part. It just goes to show the potential of this 3D printing business.  :good:

Hi All,

Just a few present production run photos.

Paul

Note the new thin base, to reduce printing time.

post-1304-0-16553100-1519222680_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-37780600-1519222688_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-05133400-1519222698_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-29987200-1519222713_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-36992200-1519222724_thumb.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Been busy printing parts for POP 1 kits, got 6,7  completed and 8,9,10,11,12 well on there way.

In the meantime, been working on the N gauge version.

A few test shots of the design prototype going together, it actually looks a lot better in real life, I do believe that it might actually work.   

Anyway, see what you think.

Regards

Paul

post-1304-0-75572000-1520352983_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-38231500-1520352995_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-25467200-1520353012_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-81985100-1520353022_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-27485900-1520353047_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Ive just completed prototype 1 of the 2mm POP 1 model. A bit of a to build, it does look better in real life.

Anyway, a few photos to see what you all think.

I'm back on with POP 1 00 now, and something a little bigger!!!

Regards

Paul

post-1304-0-20264900-1521198518_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-03308000-1521198526_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-07608300-1521198534_thumb.jpg

post-1304-0-71987500-1521198544_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While manning the DEMU stand at the Bristol show I started to build my OO gauge POP-Train kit, and I'll post some of it pics later on too.

Luckily I had some photos of the real thing on the stand as at least two visitors just didn't believe that BR would ever have built such a weird device.  :DThey were even more astonished to learn I'd spent a large  chunk of my time at BR aboard it! 

While manning the DEMU stand at the Bristol show I started to build my OO gauge POP-Train kit, and I'll post some of it pics later on too.

Luckily I had some photos of the real thing on the stand as at least two visitors just didn't believe that BR would ever have built such a weird device.  :DThey were even more astonished to learn I'd spent a large  chunk of my time at BR aboard it!

You mean to say there are STILL people about that don’t know what the PoP train is?

Cheers

Shane

You mean to say there are STILL people about that don’t know what the PoP train is?

Cheers

Shane

So it would appear Shane.

Quite a few of the visitors didn't even know what my Rapido E-Train model was either!  :O

• Like 1

Here's the first two build pics of my PC3. I've departed a tad from the build gospel according to Paul as I wanted to ensure bulkhead 1 was at 90 deg to the floor and added the lower side trusses to sort that. And then I added the ballast weights, because I could and I liked the way they look.  :D

You can almost pick any number of ballast weights in any position as we kept on changing them, but I never have figured out why we had 4 weights on the right side of the forward area looking from the cabin. The E-Train APU that was in that bay, either turbine or diesel, was on the other side and only the air compressors and some batteries were on the right side. Very odd.

KwpoZs.jpg

iIeAUa.jpg

Oh yes, I'm going to try and scratchbuild a Mk II tilt pack, an HK brake pack and a compressor set for one of the main cabins, plus the kitchen table and chairs that we had as a 'Command Post'. And I'll make one side and the roof detachable and held in place with some mini-magnets. 

Hopefully..............  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2

Hm, I didn't do as well as I thought I had with PC3.

As soon as Paul saw the pics he txtd and phoned me to say I'd got the wrong Bulkhead 7 in place.  :nono:

i should have used the one with the two triangular windows on the end of the mini-VIP compartment, and luckily the glue mix I've been using wasn't working too well so it came off quite easily, and I replaced it with the proper one.

I've also been adding the floor boards that run down the centre of the vehicle, using some 20 thou styrene scribed like three planks. On the real thing they were anything but regular so they can be fairly rough in length and width on the model, but getting some of the smaller boards down between the ballast weight support girders needs some fine tweezers.

I found that my glue mix, Revell Contacta and Slaters MekPak, took quite a while to 'grab' with the styrene that the 3D process uses, but Paul told me the best one was Humbrol Precision Poly Cement, so I got some at the Bristol Show today and it works a lot better.

Thanks Paul.  :good:

A few more pics later if I can persuade my camera's batteries to last out a short while longer. (Why do vital batteries ALWAYS die the day before a Bank Holiday?)

Edited by Mr_Tilt

Here's a pic of PC3 so far, with the CORRECT Bulkhead 7, and with all the footboards in place. I floored in the main cabin too, with the extra boards leading to the doorway and for our 'Control Centre', meaning the kitchen table and two chairs...........  :D

More tomorrow possibly. 

1HKSot.jpg

• Like 4

Sounds interesting I am number 9 so hope this is a sign of things improving with you

Hi,

Just to let you know that kit number 9 is now ready for you.

Please message me at paul@apt-e.org with your details if you are still interested.

Kind regards

Paul

Hi all,

Can the holders of kit number 8 and 9 please contact me if still interested, as these kits are now complete and ready to be paid for and shipped out.

Regards

Paul

Hi all,

Can the holders of kit number 8 and 9 please contact me if still interested, as these kits are now complete and ready to be paid for and shipped out.

Regards

Paul

Can Colin the purchaser of Kit 8, please email me your details so I can get if off in the post to you.

Regards

Paul

Paul@apt-e.org

Edited by apt-e

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Well keep mending - did you 3D print own replacement knee parts ! Hopefully watching POP parts appear is enough activity in this little bit of summer.  I like the N version and hope that bit of this great project makes progress  as your mobility and mojo allows

Take care

Robert  

Hi Paul

N gauge PoP is in build, 4mm version is in paint, once I’ve fitted the ballast weights and cabling I can fit the roof frames and windows ready for decals and weathering.

Cheers

Bob

post-22888-0-81126400-1531452879_thumb.jpeg

post-22888-0-27417500-1531452990_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2