Minerva To Announce New 0 Gauge Model at Guildex 2016

81A Oldoak

My info is correct, not speculation. See Minerva website.

Minerva Model Railways, the independent company formed by Chris Basten and Chris Klein, announce the manufacture of a finescale, injection-moulded 0 gauge model of the Great Western Railway 57XX/8750 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotive in 7mm scale (1:43.5, for 32mm standard gauge). It is Minerva’s third model and follows the acclaimed Peckett E Class 0-4-0ST locomotive produced in 2015 and the Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0T locomotive launched in 2016. It will be manufactured in the same factory as the Peckett and Victory. Delivery will be mid 2017.

Please accept my Apologies. I thought you were joking.

With Lionheart having done a pannier, which I understand have been reduced in price, and Dapol announcing another I didn't think you, or Minerva, could be serious! Although I saw many Panniers, apart from the 15xx I couldn't tell any of the post WW1s apart!  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsteam/eea6c1d0

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Please accept my Apologies. I thought you were joking.

With Lionheart having done a pannier, which I understand have been reduced in price, and Dapol announcing another I didn't think you, or Minerva, could be serious! Although I saw many Panniers, apart from the 15xx I couldn't tell any of the post WW1s apart!  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsteam/eea6c1d0

Paul

Masterpiece have also just announced a 57xx recently: it may be a different market, but its reasonable to suppose those now forking out for the more expensive one are less likely to be in the frame for one or maybe more of these that might have been if there was only one choice. These clashes are unfortunate for all parties and it would be a shame if it affects sales adversely as ultimately we are all better off with more suppliers.

Good luck to Minerva with it though!

I imagine that Minerva's will arrive first, given their track record, unless Dapol's is very well advanced and they've resolved their slow delivery problems. My only interest is in whichever one may be the easiest to backdate to an earlier class, as running in the early 1900s. If both of them flood the market, and I can pick up a bargain to knock about, when both companies are desperate to reduce their unsold stocks, I won't complain. But it wouldn't be good for O gauge in general.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the 57xx is a popular model, I can't see that there is the market for 2 new RTR models in 0 gauge. Suspect that there may well be some very good bargains coming up at some point. That could be enough to tempt me. 

Well I'm sorry, this really is a huge disappointment. Yet another bl**dy ex GWR loco, and a pannier!! I concede the following that railway has, but couldn't we have had something from the other members of the "big four"?

Yes I know Minerva can't please everyone but there are so many other choices that would have avoided the duplication in 7mm RTR.

Bob

Just a tad disappointed that it's not another industrial which Ixion/Minerva have done so well. However, with five industrials to date, we can't really complain!

Perhaps not a surprising choice given Chris K's penchant for South Wales colliery lines and the number of 57xx which went into NCB hands. Will we see '7754' moved from Mountain Ash to Cwm Bach?

Stephen

Well I'm sorry, this really is a huge disappointment. Yet another bl**dy ex GWR loco, and a pannier!! I concede the following that railway has, but couldn't we have had something from the other members of the "big four"?

Yes I know Minerva can't please everyone but there are so many other choices that would have avoided the duplication in 7mm RTR.

Bob

To be fair to Minerva I'm sure this has been in the planning for a while and long before the Dapol announcement. Duplication is unfortunate but just one of those things. On it being a GWR loco... well it is all about the market and what sells and it is also Chris' area of interest. I'm not a GWR modeller either but nobody is forcing you to part with your money!  :scratchhead:

Best of luck to Minerva and I'm sure it'll fly off the shelves!

We started researching and gathering information for the GWR 57XX/8750PT many months ago and we plan future production over a two to threeyear time cycle with our factory. We committed cash to the Pannier a few months ago and are well advanced with the design phase. We had long planned to announce the new model at Telford this year thinking that the 60th Anniversary show was a good occasion to do so. Our plan is to have the model ready for delivery during the third quarter of of 2017 and I believe we should be judged by the track record I have established with Ixion and Minerva.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, may I say that I own steam locos from both Dapol and Minerva. Both of then run very well, and I'm pleased with my purchases. The Dapol Terrier has been resprayed and lined out to represent a fictitious LNER loco, and may at some time receive a new or heavily modified body which would represent a J79.

Having lived in Darlington or Stockton all my life I'm planning a LNER / BR NE layout, so a Pannier tank would not fit in, no matter how much I bend rule #1. My feelings are that Minerva will be first to market with the Pannier, and possibly win the lion's share of the sales. I'd rather have it that way as Minerva have so far only produced O gauge locos, and its more than likely that the success and profits from one loco pay for the development and production of the next model. With Dapol producing models in 3 gauges they must have a wider customer base, and could possibly not be too badly affected by being second to market with the Pannier. I'm not wanting to bash Dapol - I have an 08 on order. To keep the balance, I also have a Minerva Victory on order, which will serve the goods yard on my layout, which will be run as a private enterprise and uses industrial locos (Peckett and Victory).

It must also be a relief to Little Loco Company, who are planning Jxx LNER locos. Realistically the smaller manufacturers need to be first with never before released RTR models to make a decent return on their investments and allow further models to be produced. 

Ramble mode off!

If a Dapol Terrier can be repainted into LNER livery, couldn't the same logic make a pannier tank into something industrial? A number of GWR panniers did end up in private use and there were industrial pannier tanks at work in the North East, so there is some pedigree there.

But which will have daylight under the boiler and at least some representation of the inside motion?

TBF to both manufacturers the 57xx was the fairly obvious choice, and I'm sure your market research reached that conclusion. It is a shame and I can't think that the good folks at Dapol or Minerva are any too pleased about the duplication. I do hope it doesn't come to a price war as everyone will lose out.

Ed

But which will have daylight under the boiler and at least some representation of the inside motion?

TBF to both manufacturers the 57xx was the fairly obvious choice, and I'm sure your market research reached that conclusion. It is a shame and I can't think that the good folks at Dapol or Minerva are any too pleased about the duplication. I do hope it doesn't come to a price war as everyone will lose out.

Ed

I hate those price wars, I feel like I've really lost out if I can't pay full price!!!

I hate those price wars, I feel like I've really lost out if I can't pay full price!!!

That's fine if you only want the one loco, but if you want any more models there needs to be money in it for the manufacturers and retailers.

Ed

Timing will be right for me as I should have completed the main layout infrastructure by then, I hope.

So a Pannier present at next years Telford show will be good.

I'll be going the full sound & dcc route, just maybe not all at the same time.

Great model choice for me, mine will be a grumpy old and dirty industrial use one. I don't know all the details of the breed so some research and photos will have to be done.

It's a great choice for your next loco thank you to the two Chris's.

Best

Personally I'm hugely frustrated with this GWR myopia, but I know others won't agree.

Peter

I'm frustrated by the "modern image" myopia, as a mainly pre-grouping modeller! GWR models in O gauge cause unwanted temptation though, as I'm trying to restrict my O gauge modelling to Colonel Stephens, and just do GWR in 4mm.

Archived