MRJ 249

sharris

Please add WHS Ealing to the usual list. They're still selling 248.  :jester:

WHS Ely had 248 (1 copy) today. (Just thought I'd add to the usual troll).

My local newsagents in Chatteris said to me ages ago that delivery day for him was usually Wednesday.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Well, Jerry, it's another excellent issue, with a range of scales and gauges, with a broad spectrum of interest.

Your editorial is interesting, and certainly touches a nerve with me. I'm one of those people who like visiting heritage railways, but modelling them just doesn't really float my boat.

Your thoughts have provoked me to examine this attitude and ask myself why preserved railways don't interest me as subjects of models. I'm still not really sure, but I think it may have something to do with needing my model railway having a 'real' purpose, ie; moving passengers who are really travelling from 'A' to 'B' for 'everyday' reasons (as opposed to leisure), and of course, freight.

I know you can legitimately argue that heritage railways have a real purpose these days, in that they contribute in a significant way to the local economy, but that still doesn't do it for me. Still not quite sure why, but at some gut level, it just doesn't.

I'm happy to invent railways that didn't exist, or 'bend' the history of real subjects to suit my particular modelling whimsy, but these all have to be set within the correct historical comfort zone to capture my personal interest.

I appreciate that there is some very fine modelling out there, covering heritage subjects, such as Ropley, and 'hats off' to the skilled modellers who produce these layouts. I can admire the quality of the modelling, but wouldn't ever wish to undertake such a project myself.

The blighters have blackmailed me again - an excellent issue but with the renewal notice included so that I just have to subscribe again!

Seriously, excellent from cover to cover!

Interesting editorial, too. I do seem to see quite a few freelance 'preserved' lines at shows, usually an excuse to let the owner do whatever he or she wants (Rule One applies, of course) but I don't think I've ever see a model of an actual preserved railway except for the good old Talyllyn's rendition of Dolgoch Viaduct.

There is a very nice model of the Bluebell somewhere on this site.

I think modelling a preserved railway requires considerable discipline and modelling skill if it is not to just look like a random collection of assorted models. It can be done, and done well - the photo of the Mid Hants layout towards the end of this edition of MRJ proves that. OTOH I have seen some 'preserved' layouts at exhibitions that were quite unconvincing.

Interesting editorial, too. I do seem to see quite a few freelance 'preserved' lines at shows, usually an excuse to let the owner do whatever he or she wants (Rule One applies, of course) but I don't think I've ever see a model of an actual preserved railway except for the good old Talyllyn's rendition of Dolgoch Viaduct.

There are more narrow gauge ones - Dduallt and Bron Hebog for a start.

I agree with CK though, 'real' traffic flows for 'realistic' operation add to/create the interest.

Well guys I have been daily to my local WHSmith and today I decide to bother and ask. The checked and said yes we have loads No248!!!! They checked their machine and are not expecting the next issue of 249 until 25/09/16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Told me something must be up with the print run. Well enjoy your reading I'll have to wait as I dont think my town has another outlet for such magazines. We have plenty of hairdressers and coffee shops though.

I would but sadly when I get mail order magazines they end up with crumpled spines (due to the drop when posted) and on the odd occasions rips to the covers.

Magazines from Cygnet come in card backed envelopes. This keeps them pristine but often means that I have to collect them from the sorting office as the envelopes are fractionally too big for my letter box.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

For anyone desperate who is visiting Telford, I will have piles.

Of MRJ 239.

I'm sure the punctuation therein will be immaculate.

Writing as Mr Wild in this instance but possibly a bit of a Tit on the day too.....

I trust all is clear

Magazines from Cygnet come in card backed envelopes. This keeps them pristine but often means that I have to collect them from the sorting office as the envelopes are fractionally too big for my letter box.

Chris

True, but that brown envelope gets soaked through and ruins the contents when its raining and postie doesn't care one bit, which is why I ceased subscription after two consecutive MRJs were ruined this way back around issue 5!

They could simply have them sealed in poly bags, addressed and posted directly from the printers as per Narrow Gauge and Industrial, S4News and countless other mags, many of which come from the same printers!

True, but that brown envelope gets soaked through and ruins the contents when its raining and postie doesn't care one bit, which is why I ceased subscription after two consecutive MRJs were ruined this way back around issue 5!

They could simply have them sealed in poly bags, addressed and posted directly from the printers as per Narrow Gauge and Industrial, S4News and countless other mags, many of which come from the same printers!

You need to train up your postie.

Mine usually parks outside next door or directly opposite.

Even in the heaviest downpour it will only collect a few spots of rain as he walks all of a dozen paces.

The envelopes get used for all sorts of things and are never wasted.

Far more environmentally friendly than a rip it open and chuck it poly bag.

Nearly forgot.

It has arrived.

Have not got beyond drooling over the big standard yet.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I have a suggestion to take our minds off our letterboxes.

How about a competition for layouts built between the published publication date of MRJ and the actual first arrival on the newsagents' shelves?

We might have to ban Ian Futers, bug I don't think either the gpod Captain or I will be up with the leaders.

Perhaps the theme for the first could be a 1980s rail connected GPO mail depot.

Jonathan

I have a suggestion to take our minds off our letterboxes.

How about a competition for layouts built between the published publication date of MRJ and the actual first arrival on the newsagents' shelves?....

I think you'd have more luck with this challenge if you replaced "MRJ" with "GWRJ".....  :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Stuff me; another 3+ weeks of people saying it's not in Smiths?

Phone 01225 462332 and order one.

Must have miss dialled.

Very heavy eastern European accented female answered, stating;

" I am very hot and have taken my clothes off. What would you like me to do you naughty boy"

I asked about a subscription but she didn't seem to understand.

She seemed to have a cold as well. Lots of heavy breathing. I suggested she rub some Vicks vapour rub on her chest which seemed make things worse......

Rub.

I think you'd have more luck with this challenge if you replaced "MRJ" with "GWRJ".....  :mosking:

Horses for courses, I'd say.

The MRJ challenge would, of course have to be definitively finescale, with an emphasis on quirky subjects such as rural or coastal light railways, while the GWRJ challenge would concentrate on an intensely GW aspect of railway operation, say a small branch terminus or an accurate demonstration of high speed slip coach operation.......

• RMweb Gold

For anyone desperate who is visiting Telford, I will have piles.

Of MRJ 239.

I'm sure the punctuation therein will be immaculate.

Writing as Mr Wild in this instance but possibly a bit of a Tit on the day too.....

I trust all is clear

Also posing as Mr Typo?  :P

Hroth I totally agree I haven't seen and MRJ in ages... And as for ordering a smiths... Can I have a Smiths delivered to Australia as the MRJ's take too long to arrive at our local newsagent which has nothing to do with Smiths!

Really I'm with Andy here if you really need your fix please order direct though I am disturbed by nhy's experiences, why did she need to taker her cloths off and why did rubbing her chest get her heart beat up?

I'll look forward to the issue in a couple of months!

Thing is, you begin following a magazine because its addressing things that interest you, then (in my experience at least) as soon as you commit to a subscription, it changes editorial policy or personnel, often one follows the other, and its gone off the boil, leaving you stuck with the remaining issues of the subscription that would be worth little more than a flick-through before being returned to the shelf at WHS.

At the moment I'm divesting myself of other mag subscriptions. I wouldn't want to put a hex on MRJ!

Thing is, you begin following a magazine because its addressing things that interest you, then (in my experience at least) as soon as you commit to a subscription, it changes editorial policy or personnel, often one follows the other, and its gone off the boil, leaving you stuck with the remaining issues of the subscription that would be worth little more than a flick-through before being returned to the shelf at WHS.

At the moment I'm divesting myself of other mag subscriptions. I wouldn't want to put a hex on MRJ!

At least you are not divesting your clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hr oth the above was really tongue in cheek.... I have all MRJ's from 0 to what ever the last one I have! But I don't spend time concerned about when it will turn up... More of a happy surprise when it does.

Archived