Sleeper diversions over the S&C

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I'm tempted by several of the Graham Farish MK1 sleepers to go with the coaches from the "Cumbrian Mountain Express" and create a diverted sleeper over the S&C.  As my time frame is the late 70's, what are the chance's of that happening and if so, what would be the formation of the train?  Also, would the electric loco have still been attached?  If it had, I can use a Dapol Class 86 dummy behind a class 47?

To save confusion, the Stanier pacific, 46229 Dutchess of Hamilton from the set is going to hauling my version of the SLOA MK1 Pullman set and not the sleeper  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:  :onthequiet:

Julian Sprott

My only contribation here is from the May 1979-May 1980 timetable which I used for my layout.

The timetale has 3 divered services northbound.

SO 20 35 Newton Abbot-Stirling motorail. Blea Moor 04 57 on Sunday 14th and 21st October.(19)

SO 23 30 Euston-Glasgow. Blea Moor 05 20 from October 14th

SO 21 25 Dover-Stirling motorail. Blea Moor 06 30 October 14th only. (20)

Unlikely that the electric would have remained attached over the S&C. Most likely haulage would be a 47/4. There may be photos of train formations taken further south and you'll be glad you're modelling in N Gauge if you want accurate formations, as the figures in brackets are the maximum loadings for these services!

Suprisingly there are no southbound workings in the timetable.

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Gold

My only contribation here is from the May 1979-May 1980 timetable which I used for my layout.

The timetale has 3 divered services northbound.

SO 20 35 Newton Abbot-Stirling motorail. Blea Moor 04 57 on Sunday 14th and 21st October.(19)

SO 23 30 Euston-Glasgow. Blea Moor 05 20 from October 14th

SO 21 25 Dover-Stirling motorail. Blea Moor 06 30 October 14th only. (20)

Unlikely that the electric would have remained attached over the S&C. Most likely haulage would be a 47/4. There may be photos of train formations taken further south and you'll be glad you're modelling in N Gauge if you want accurate formations, as the figures in brackets are the maximum loadings for these services!

Suprisingly there are no southbound workings in the timetable.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info and with Hornby Magazine doing a sleeper formation and era section in this month's magazine.  It gives me scope to run a diverted Anglo Scottish sleeper.

Julian

I appreciate this is much later

Just before the Saturday night sleepers were withdrawn in the 1990s, some of the summer services were diverted

The timetable allowed for this, but it did not always occur (weather dependent)

As a result if the diversion did not take place the relevant service would sit at either Carlisle or Crewe for some time

The electric loco remained attached throughout

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate this is much later

Just before the Saturday night sleepers were withdrawn in the 1990s, some of the summer services were diverted

The timetable allowed for this, but it did not always occur (weather dependent)

As a result if the diversion did not take place the relevant service would sit at either Carlisle or Crewe for some time

The electric loco remained attached throughout

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information and yes it's later than I'm modelling but it's nice to know that sleepers did traverse the S&C on a regular basis prior to the wholesale reduction of sleeper services.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

Just as a matter of interest, in that era, most diversions over the S & C involved reversal at Preston to get on the route to Blackburn and Hellifield to get to the S & C. Thus the electric would have been left at Preston, if they were Motorails going to Stirling then it would have made sense to leave the 47 on from Preston to Stirling.

Jamie

Archived