Where next for the Class 442s?

• RMweb Premium

Last I heard the unofficial third-rail speed record on the (former) SR was claimed to be 111mph with a 4Rep+4TC short-formed Weymouth express.  As ever these sort of "records" are highly unofficial and there is no sort of corroboration.  Even seasoned train timers are very circumspect if they clock something of this order.  

I personally clocked 102mph with a class 73 + 7 on the 03.20 Victoria - Brighton passenger and news one night, a mix of Mk1 coaches and vans and a few SR vans.  That isn't the fastest I have clocked using both stopwatch and intermediate cab speedometers (which agreed) but again I am reluctant to suggest where or when as the person(s) responsible might still be employed.

It's not possible now of course with data loggers and TPWS among other fun-prevention safety devices

• RMweb Premium

I was one of about three passengers once on a very late knocked out all the stops run on a Class 421 3-COP which was run fast from Victoria to Three Bridges, it must have been pulling a ton down the Quarry Line easily especially with the higher power to weight ratio it had with one coach taken out!!

Remember doing an exciting 105mph down Brentwood bank on a very delayed Class 309. Was not until sometime later that I discovered line speed was 80mph. No wonder we gained back 15 mins between Shenfield and Liverpool Street...

• RMweb Premium

I've got this sneaking suspicion that they will change their minds and use something else instead.

There would seem to be slack in the 450 diagrams with the 458s now widespread on Reading and Windsor line services and the 456s boosting capacity elsewhere on services which 450s sometimes worked.  Whether there is enough capacity for the enhanced service and 12-car trains is another matter.  As is the loathing of the Portsmouth line commuters for the outer-suburban style 450s which are the modern-day equivalent of a 4Vep.  Hardly the comfort level one would wish for folk paying thousands to travel for 2 - 3 hours a day.

• 3 weeks later...

post-7009-0-43448400-1504792644_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of Son of Ceptic.

47 812 inside Branksome's Carriage Cleaning Shed, previously having ferried a 5-WES / Cl.442 416 to the 'Main (New) Shed' for light (?) maintenance and on to the  'Paint Shed' for new SWR vinyls.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

47 812 inside Branksome's Carriage Cleaning Shed, previously having ferried a 5-WES / Cl.442 416 to the 'Main (New) Shed' for light (?) maintenance and on to the  'Paint Shed' for new SWR vinyls.

..."welcome home"

• Like 2

..."welcome home"

Yes, nice to see them back in their natural habitat.

Interested to see if they'll get the full livery works or some sort of SWR "lite"

Might just be wishful thinking but wonder if they might appear at Weymouth again.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

108mph seems to be the official record.

Though I've seen it mentioned somewhere that 117mph was achieved by a 5-WES (Cl.442)

A late friend of mine stop-watched one (or possibly two) at 113 on a Network Day (remember them.......) bashing trip.

IIRC it was on a Southampton Airport - Waterloo service. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Might just be wishful thinking but wonder if they might appear at Weymouth again.

Stu

Pure speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they appear at Weymouth at some point.  Particularly if Bournemouth do some of the work now to get them quickly back to working order (even if they don't do the full refurbishment & retractioning work).

The line between Bournemouth and Weymouth has been used for testing units in recent years.  The early 458 conversions were tested there, as were some regenerative brake tests on the Desiros. 

I wonder who will be providing the drivers in the short term as I guess no SWR (former SWT drivers) will currently sign them.  When some 442s were kept in warm storage at Eastleigh a few years back I seem to recall that rather bizarrely it was Freightliner or GBRf drivers who did the 'warm' shuttle runs from Eastleigh to Basingstoke and back.

There are currently three 5-WES at BM depot:

Arrived 5/9/17 = 2416

Arrived 7/9/17 = 2404

post-6880-0-10557400-1504976207.jpg

One is currently in the carriage cleaning shed attached to 73133. I THINK it's 2416 - can anyone confirm please?

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looks like another transfer of one or more class 442 from exile in Ely to Bournemouth has taken place, on 12/9.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O26563/2017/09/12/advanced

Another forum suggests that the move was for 2411 & 2417, but I've not seen confirmation elsewhere.

A further transfer is apparently due to take place on 15/9, although there isn't a path in the schedule yet.  2414 & 2418 are the suggested transferees this time.

Bournemouth T&RSMD will be looking like its old self on Friday afternoon with these additional transfers.

• RMweb Premium

Another forum suggests that the move was for 2411 & 2417, but I've not seen confirmation elsewhere.

I personally watched 2411 and 2417 come through the unlikely (for 5Wes units) location of Gospel oak yesterday.  Ironically while I was waiting for a class 172 unit for Barking on the line which is about to be electrified at long last.

• Like 3

Over a quarter of the class are now BM depot:

2416 arrived 5/9

2404 + 2409 arrived 7/9

2411 + 2417 arrived 12/9

2414 +2418 arrived 14/9

Here's today's arrivals passing Poole and in the carriage sidings after the loco ran-round, awaiting the road to Branksome and jnto the depot.

post-6880-0-33028600-1505410934.jpg

post-6880-0-50520000-1505410966.jpg

post-6880-0-98142400-1505411003.jpg

• Like 5