Heljan Churchward Mogul in 7mm scale

steve fay

• 1 month later...

Heljan has chosen the most common type, which is sensible. Looking good (apart from the copper cap on the tapered chimney!).

Please don't copy 5322's firebox washout plug placement. (It was non-standard.)

The porthole-cab, high safety-valve, version would probably be better with the earlier parallel chimney (which did have a copper cap!).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

4 models in various liveries on the Heljan stand at Warley this weekend. I'm no expert on the GWR but they did look stunning. Hopefully someone will post some pics as I forgot to charge my phone and the battery crapped out on the train from Euston to NEC.

Expected January 2019 according to the chap on the stand.

attachicon.gif DSC_8156.jpg

One of the pre-production test models for the Churchward Mogul was on show at Telford this weekend.  More pictures on my Telford report page if anyone wants to take a look..

http://railblogs.co.uk/telford18/

Rich

Rich, apologies for veering off the topic of the (fabulous looking) 43xx, but do my eyes deceive me or have Heljan modified the tooling of the 7mm Western slightly? Reason I ask is in your blog photos the headcode panel on the blue / syp version looks like it's been raised to the correct height. It's a difference of only 2mm or so but it makes quite a bit of difference, either that or my eyes need checking!

• RMweb Premium

do my eyes deceive me or have Heljan modified the tooling of the 7mm Western slightly?

Already confirmed elsewhere it hasn’t changed although admittedly I can't find where I saw that now.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 3 weeks later...

A rather poor photo taken on my mobile at Warley

To continue on from the remarks by Miss Prism about unlikely, the porthole windows are unlikely with a tender that has the straight topped springs and the transverse vacuum cylinder. The springs and vacuum cylinder arrangement became common place in the very late 1920s by which time the porthole windows were mostly removed.

Craig W

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up my copy of Hornby magazine from Sainsbury's and read the review. They like it. But I was a bit disappointed to read it has electrical pick up from the tender only. One would have thought it would have been all round.

Cheers, Ade.

I'm not sure if I will go ahead with my pre-order now, having read what Hornby have reported. Pick up from only tender seems to spell bad slow running.

Mike