SR Headcodes

slilley

I know on the SEG website thereis a list for 2 digit headcodes from 1961 and 1981, were there many changes in the years between? The reason is that I have various pictures I am trying to pin down as to what service was being worked and  so on.

Also is there anywhere where I can find 2 digit freight headcodes for the SED and SWD between 1959 and 1979?

Regards

Simon 

The following are taken from the Mandatory Timetable South Western Division and Conditional Timetable Regional for 1980-81. Hopefully they are of some use:

post-7112-0-42660500-1472919595_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-24010100-1472919596_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-97256700-1472919596_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-63082800-1472919591_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-35557700-1472919592_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-13456200-1472919593_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-91245300-1472919593_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-72783200-1472919594_thumb.jpg

(click to enlarge)

• RMweb Gold

The two-character inter-regional loco and freight headcodes were virtually new in 1959 - there had been nothing to display them until then! 

EMU headcodes had been in use for many years, with each new electrification scheme, e.g. Bournemouth in 1967, requiring new codes, but they remained largely unchanged throughout this period - except on Central, where the 1978 WTT recast was dramatic, revising service patterns to better serve Gatwick. A new set of numbers appeared then for newly-designed routes. 

To give a few examples of how codes changed over the years, on SWD 75 became Waterloo-Guildford via Woking when such a stopping service was introduced, 15 became Waterloo-Horsham, giving that destination a code separate from Dorking, and the Weybridge via Richmond code became 14. In the 1970s, up trains combining at Woking comprising Alton and Basingstoke or Bournemouth portions always showed 52 from there to Waterloo, irrespective of which portion was leading

EMU and DEMU passenger codes effective 10 July 1967 (major timetable change):

Headcodes_SWD_1967_m_zpskuyjckmz.jpg

Headcodes_SED_1967_1m_zpsi45inzmm.jpg

Headcodes_SED_1967_2m_zpsag3az6bu.jpg

One thing puzzles me, looking at that headcode 46 is Charing Cross to Sidcup, but I have seen several photos of the Golden Arrow running with headcode 46 from that era

Simon

• RMweb Gold

One thing puzzles me, looking at that headcode 46 is Charing Cross to Sidcup, but I have seen several photos of the Golden Arrow running with headcode 46 from that era

Simon

That's because their paths do not cross so there can be no confusion.  46 is thus both Charing Cross to Sidcup, and also Victoria to Dover Western Docks via Herne Hill.

Likewise 70 is both Charing Cross to Dartford via Bexleyheath and also Victoria to Sevenoaks.

See here on the SEMG website - http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/eheadcodes/eheadcodes03.html

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

That's because their paths do not cross so there can be no confusion.  46 is thus both Charing Cross to Sidcup, and also Victoria to Dover Western Docks via Herne Hill.

Likewise 70 is both Charing Cross to Dartford via Bexleyheath and also Victoria to Sevenoaks.

See here on the SEMG website - http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/eheadcodes/eheadcodes03.html

Quite. The South Eastern was and is two railways combined from 1923. Victoria and Holborn Viaduct on the Chatham side, and Charing Cross and Cannon St on the South Eastern side were the termini. The two companies had attempted to bankrupt each other, which is why there are two separate routes through Maidstone and Canterbury, while Sevenoaks and Ashford are junctions where the routes merged. Chislehurst Junction - 4-track crossing over 4-track - is a rather busy place, with spurs allowing certain transfers between routes. 

Similarly 4-character train descriptions can be duplicated without confusion. At least until operating problems cause trains to be diverted. Which is why the morning in 1976 when the Night Ferry nearly went to Cannon Street is etched forever in my mind......

• Like 2

The South Eastern was and is two railways combined from 1923.

Actually, to be a little pedantic, they were effectively combined from 1 January 1899 when the joint managing committee was formed. Although legally they were still two independent railways until the grouping, they effectively did everything as if they were a single combined railway from that date - the junctions in the Bickley/Chiselhurst area being an early witness to that fact, even if they have been rebuilt (twice) since.

Looking through the 1969 Charing Cross workings, it is evident that the public timetables did not list some of the less common codes, such as 88, which was used for the 17.41 Charing Cross-Dover Priory/Maidstone West, which ran fast from London Bridge to Gravesend, possibly via Greenwich since the code used began with 8. The workings for 1969 also show two short dashes above some of the codes which I think meant train not stopping at London Bridge - this appears to have been used for suburban codes only.

Two dots below the headcode signified electro-diesel in the early days of such motive power:

21176126138_25f046f452_z.jpgE6018_Eastleigh_Bournemout-Wloo_1-7-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Just taking this topic on further. In the first half of the 1960s before the Bournemouth electrification, Class 33s were working various passenger trains on the South Western route. I have seen them showing headcodes B1, 2C, C1, C2 , C6, G2, G6.

Can anyone help with what these headcodes signify?

Simon 

On 10/08/2019 at 12:30, slilley said:

Just taking this topic on further. In the first half of the 1960s before the Bournemouth electrification, Class 33s were working various passenger trains on the South Western route. I have seen them showing headcodes B1, 2C, C1, C2 , C6, G2, G6.

Can anyone help with what these headcodes signify?

Simon 

This thread throws a bit of light on your question

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2019 at 13:04, guzzler17 said:

G2, G6.

At risk of reawakening the dead here G2 was Brighton - Netley - Gillingham - Exeter St. Davids (and on to Plymouth via Okehampton when still open); G6 was Brighton - Netley - Poole which was carried by a summer Sundays only train for a couple of years using the stock off the weekday Brighton - Exeter service.