RevolutioN announce Class B tanks for N gauge

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

Ben or Mike. I am still waiting for a payment request for order 5313 - nothing in my inbox or spam and everytime I try to contact you through you're website I keep getting a 502 error, my address has also changed. Apologies for sounding a little frustrated but I have sent you guys emails about this before and have not got any response.

Kind Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium

I was order 4312 - got my invoice request a few days ago. Parcel arrived today.

These are hands down the best N gauge wagons I've ever had. I'm not an expert on the prototype but they are nicely free-wheeling and the underframe / top walkway detailing is superb. The printing is very fine and legible. For still a relative newcomer manufacturer to the railway scene this just shows what dedication can do.

Thank you for producing a great model, and hopefully many more in the future.

(Oh, and the smaller sized packaging they come in is very nice, enough protection whilst reducing excess plastic).

Edited by maq1988

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We are proud to say that our Class B tankers have been nominated in the first Hornby Magazine awards for N Gauge Rolling Stock model of year.

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2018/09/13/Hornby-magazine-model-railway-awards-2018/

If you feel they deserve this honour then feel free to vote - it is a strong field with some other great models in there, which is good for N gauge in general but means, I suspect, that every vote will count!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello dmeaden,

We have a lot on for the next few months, but we may gauge demand for more Class Bs toward the end of next year. There are a couple of additional liveries we could do - Fina and weedkiller to name two.

Though as ever, it'll need orders to get them into production.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 4 months later...

Can anybody advise me please? I have managed to knock off and loose the very small pipe off the tank end of one of these....:nono:

I’m guessing there is no spare part for this?

So is there any mileage in having these blanked off, easiest solution.

All bright ideas considered.

TIA

Fumble Fingers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, John57sharp said:

Can anybody advise me please? I have managed to knock off and loose the very small pipe off the tank end of one of these....:nono:

I’m guessing there is no spare part for this?

So is there any mileage in having these blanked off, easiest solution.

All bright ideas considered.

TIA

Fumble Fingers

Hi John,

Have you emailed us?  If you're missing a component send a note to parts@revolutiontrains.com.  We have spares and will try to help you out.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi John,

Have you emailed us?  If you're missing a component send a note to parts@revolutiontrains.com.  We have spares and will try to help you out.

cheers

Ben A.

I have now. Many thanks Ben. I wasn’t sure if you would carry parts on a limited run.

thanks again

John

• 6 months later...

Now the dust has settled on these is anyone else finding that they are getting less reliable every time they are placed on the track?  Mine have now done three two-day shows, being needed to circulate the layout at about 20 minute intervals throughout each show.

FIRST show - one tanker refused to stay coupled to any of the other seven.

SECOND show - four had become so bad they needed tacky gluing to the tankers either side of them to even manage half a lap of the layout.

THIRD show (this weekend) one wagon now permanently withdrawn and the other seven ALL needed to be tacky glued to their neighbours to keep the train intact, though that is resulting in couplings starting to pull out of the NEM pockets.  

The problem appears that there is too much play in the NEM pockets which seems to get worse as the wagons are used.    I now have a signature train on the layout that is the only one of 22 trains that doesn't stay coupled for lap after lap, others have an occasional problem but not almost every lap. 

Les

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Les,

Thanks for the feedback.  I am really sorry you're having trouble.  I don't know what could be causing the problems with your couplers - possibly a moulding flaw on the inner face?  We have spares of couplers, coupler pockets and any components you may require.  I'll be happy to send you some to play with.  I really want to you get max enjoyment from our models.

Please email us with what you need.

I will also forward your comments to the factory and see what their response is.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NinOz said:

How is the rolling resistance going with use?

Seven of eight rolling quite freely, the eighth is the withdrawn one.

The problem is that the NEM pockets are engineered too finely meaning they don't withstand being used.  Exhibition running over Peco track (the de facto standard) means they get bounced around a bit and they are on the delicate side to put it mildly.  There just isn't enough plastic anywhere near them.  The real cure on future production will need to be to make this area much thicker and overscale- the coupler pockets can't be seen in a moving train and when coupled together it is hard to tell the difference from (say) a pair of Peco tankers.

On Peco N-gauge couplers the coupler itself tends to bounce up and down in a totally rigid box.  On the B tanker it is the whole NEM box that flops up and down.

I'm going to glue the coupler boxes rigid on another, and try to resurrect the withdrawn one by tackling its wheelsets and rebuilding its coupler boxes.  In the mean time I have a cocktail stick and a bottle of tacky glue ready for the layout's next outing at Wirksworth.

Meanwhie they do appear in two of Andy's photos that he took for the Article on Croft Spa in the November BRM, though I don't know if he'll use these two pics.  They don't appear in the video for the cover CD as I just didn't dare run them.

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I remain convinced that the biggest issue with these models is the weight of them, and as well as limiting loads that can be hauled I am convinced that the oscillation that can be seen extending and closing the couplers is not good for the close-coupling mechanisms' longevity.

I know the issue of the weight has been discussed previously and the Class B is said to meet NMRA convention for it, but I also recall that calculations are complex and largely based on US standards so I remain convinced that the Bs are overweight.

I think they are fabulous models but given the weight limiting the choice of locos I can use and oscillation when all my 12 are used together, mine have been the proverbial "shelf queens" for some months now sadly. I know some have successfully removed the end caps and removed weights, but I can't seem to budge mine without risking damage.

If the Class As are ever proposed as a future model I sincerely hope that the calculations and requirements for weighting are re-evaluated as in my view the wagons would be much more useable with the ballast weight being reduced to half the existing.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 06/09/2019 at 21:03, Roy L S said:

I remain convinced that the biggest issue with these models is the weight of them, and as well as limiting loads that can be hauled I am convinced that the oscillation that can be seen extending and closing the couplers is not good for the close-coupling mechanisms' longevity.

I know the issue of the weight has been discussed previously and the Class B is said to meet NMRA convention for it, but I also recall that calculations are complex and largely based on US standards so I remain convinced that the Bs are overweight.

I think they are fabulous models but given the weight limiting the choice of locos I can use and oscillation when all my 12 are used together, mine have been the proverbial "shelf queens" for some months now sadly. I know some have successfully removed the end caps and removed weights, but I can't seem to budge mine without risking damage.

If the Class As are ever proposed as a future model I sincerely hope that the calculations and requirements for weighting are re-evaluated as in my view the wagons would be much more useable with the ballast weight being reduced to half the existing.

Roy

As one of mine is withdrawn I may just experiment to see if I can open the tank to lose a little weight from it...

Thanks for the idea.

Les

I'm not so sure its the weight which is causing an issue. I believe it to be more drag related as when a raft of them is propelled by hand they don't roll any great distance. If it were a weight thing the momentum from a heavier model would keep them rolling, so given a strong enough locomotive once you get a few of them going they should keep rolling. I have a small fleet of Black 5s weighted to take 60+ mineral wagons, and none of them can haul my rake of 20 class Bs, in fact they all struggle with 16 and frequently pull Rapido couplers so I've resorted to using Dapol easi-shunts as they're less likely to part company. Even then, with enough of a snatch on the clubs isolating sections I've had them pull easi-shunts clean out of the NEM pocket on the 16 rake. The wheelsets roll freely on all of my class B tanks when you turn them over and thumb the wheels around, but I'm beginning to wonder if the clearance between the wheels and chassis when they're sat on the rails is a bit too tight which could cause them to rub if the axle pinpoints are a bit loose, as was an issue I had with the Hornby 21t hoppers dragging in this manner (and Broadway Cali Zephyr coaches). When I get chance to get them out at the club again I might try and shim off some chassis material above the wheels and see if it improves anything...I'd dearly love to be able to load up my little piece of the Bromford Tanks to 30, but around half that number is currently beyond the couplers and haulage capability of what I'm using.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...