Swiss Holidays

Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Premium

It’s certainly a beautiful country . I thoroughly enjoyed my visits there , usually to Interlaken.With the Swiss pass I travelled all over the place ,Brig, Zermatt , Lucerne, Berne, Montreux and the Jungfrau. I well remember sunset in Interlaken from the Kursaal when the mountains glowed pink. Superb!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Yes, but unlike Norfolk, in Switzerland things just...work.

I enjoy how much we like to say mk3 BR coaches are the best ride and compare everything to them....

IMO, they don't come close to the ride and seat comfort of the SBB IC and ex EC stock, it's like riding on air. The new Albula stock is similar, and virtually silent running when compared to the older RhB coaches. It's a different level of comfort (I expect good things from Great Anglias FLIRTS when they arrive).

Like you say, their stuff just works!

Like you say, their stuff just works!

That's why a friend of mine lives, works, and got married and started a family in Switzerland. There's no way he sees himself coming back to Britain. He's been there since about 2004/5, and I have never seen someone look more contented than he does.

• Like 1

Not exactly a Swiss holiday but while on holiday in Lake Como, Italy recently, I took the opportunity to take an excursion on a portion of the RhB Bernina line from Poschiavo to Bernina Diavoletta.

The scenery is absolutely stunning!

post-7898-0-31281200-1532077257_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-89440300-1532077313_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-74886700-1532077346_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-94464500-1532077385_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-54482500-1532077421_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-32575700-1532077458_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-10615100-1532077500_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Before falling into the Swiss is always perfect cliche it's worth noting that the Allegras initially got panned for their rather rough riding ;)

Mind you the RhB had the sense not to join in the initial roll out of the national online virtual tickets system that caused havoc and a load of negative press on the SBB :)

I need to go back though as the scenery definitely beats Norfolk!! ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What time are the Krok trains? I can't see anything online about which are service and which are the heritage ones. A mate is going in September and wondering if they are still running then.

The 1100 and 1700 at Filisur. Everyday until October. Even on the local timetable at Filisur you have to hunt hard to find it's listed as 'historiche'.

The caveat is if the Krokodil is needed for other specials elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

The 1100 and 1700 at Filisur. Everyday until October. Even on the local timetable at Filisur you have to hunt hard to find it's listed as 'historiche'.

Ah yes now I see it! Here's the link and it's the L14 note that defines the Krok.

https://www.rhb.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/redaktion/Home_Marketing/Service___Souvenirs/Fahrplan/Gedruckte_Fahrplaene_2017/915_Davos-Filisur-Davos.pdf

• RMweb Premium

Thanks!  Is there only one "Krokodil" that they can use for these then or do they get swapped over, or do they ever even use any of their other historic electric locos?

Thanks!  Is there only one "Krokodil" that they can use for these then or do they get swapped over, or do they ever even use any of their other historic electric locos?

It was 414 on each run while we were there, but we did see 415 running light engine on the day we arrived from Landquart to klosters so both Kroks are serviceable.

From what I read the plan is just to use Kroks when they're available, not other historic locos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

14/07/2018

And finally observations from the balcony at Hotel Grischuna during the afternoon and evening. As well as the on the hour stuff, the Krokodil came back at 1700, various GEX and BEX passed through, and the evening freight from Samedan which was mostly containers:

attachicon.gif20180714_154650.jpg

When I saw this picture thought I could replicate it on the EG&SNNR and this is what I managed:

post-586-0-21419500-1534459179.jpg

Keith

• Like 5

When I saw this picture thought I could replicate it on the EG&SNNR and this is what I managed:

attachicon.gifGlacierExp2018-13.jpg

Keith

I really really hate nit-picking, but there is an error with that formation compared to the photo...

(Plus you're missing the rather attractive woman in the green shorts that was also taking a photo of it ;) )

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

There is a Bernina Krok, 182, which has been restored to full working order by the Club 1883 1889. I don't know what arrangements are made for public running for it. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Bernina and the classic RhB Kroks on adjacent lines at either St. Moritz or Pontresina. Does anyone know of such a picture? If you do please share it or a link to it with us.

I recently asked a very similar question about pictures of AC and DC locos together at Manchester Piccadilly and someone came up with a picture of an AL1 and an EM2. So I hope that someone can help out here with RhB AC and DC in the same shot.

Edited by GoingUnderground

There is a Bernina Krok, 182, which has been restored to full working order by the Club 1883. I don't know what arrangements are made for public running for it. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Bernina and the classic RhB Kroks on adjacent lines at either St. Moritz or Pontresina. Does anyone know of such a picture? If you do please share it or a link to it with us.

I recently asked a very similar question about pictures of AC and DC locos together at Manchester Piccadilly and someone csme up with a picture of an AL1 and an EM2 uas found. So I hope that someone can help out here.

Not quite what you're after, but there's this with it being towed by the Ge 4/6 (looks to be at Solis Viaduct):

https://trainspo.com/photo/93427/

so its not just Pontresina and St Moritz that you might find pictures of the 2 together.

Fair enough. Just tried a couple of google image searchs, and it doesn't look like Ge 6/6i visit St Moritz or Pontresina too often at all. Given the amount of photographers that seem to appear whenever the Kroks are about I'm quite surprised by the lack of pictures.

• RMweb Gold

No the Kroks tend to stay on the Albula route and are rarer on the line up to Scuol too.  They did use the Kroks on engineers trains quite a bit in the last few years so it's very welcome to see them back on regular passenger workings rather than mainly charters :) They are based at Chur so did turn up occasionally on short freights up the Albula to Samedan but the heavier freight that goes through to Pontresina is probably too much for them solo up the Albula and to keep to the times without thrashing them unnecessarily. After 412 bent it's rods and was scrapped they need to look after the last two in service ;)

• Like 1

Notice the Gb van on the open-coach train, between the loco and the first open coach. This is to prevent idiots from trying to grab the pans of the loco, which carry 11kV (standard on the AC network) or 1kV DC on the Bernina.

I always thought it was in case the wires came down....but either way, certainly for safety

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I’ve got some RhB photos of my Dad’s from a holiday we had in the mid-90s. Am I alright to post them in here or would it be better to start a new thread?

There are some from the Albula line and some from the Bernina line. Thought they might be of interest for anyone modelling that period?

Ian