Wills "Modern" kits

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

I bought one of the Wills Modern kits as a basis for some warehouse units on Bow Locks.

General thoughts on the kit:

A very useful addition to the range that gives some nice and flexible options for modern buildings. Doors and windows can be added in many different places by different moulded cutting guidelines on the back of the walls. Alternate doors/entrances/fittings are available as additional kits as well as an extension kit to make the basic warehouse units much larger.

With care they can be made to look good.

I'm very impressed with the palisade fencing that is also part of the range and look forward to other additions to the range

However, there are several areas that could benefit from improvement to the kit as sold.

The instructions are VERY sparse, just a couple of exploded drawings without any text and no note of the two different types of windows provided, the only clue being a very faint moulded word on the back of the window mouldings. The roller shutter door cut-out is drawn the wrong size.

The ventilators are not a brilliant fit into the moulded locations on the roof for them and need a bit of trimming to fit.

The walls are very thin and the units have a tendency to bow unless a floor is added, and if used in the low-relief configuration a back wall is needed to stop the roof sagging. Neither are provided in the kit.

There is no provision for building the units as two "end-on" low relief units, the long walls do not make this possible which is a shame.

Photos will follow once the buildings are put in place.

Andi

Our, Bow Locks was built by the Roding Valley MRC, (Now Defunct), by the late dave Howell and I.

It was basically a shunting puzzle, in OO gauge, built on an Ikea plywood drawer unit.

I cannot find any photos as I think they were on my old computer.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see from the latest issue of Railway Modeller that the new barrier level crossing kit originally under development by Ratio has now, quite sensibly IMHO, been moved to the Wills Modern brand.  Hopefully the advertising means the kit is imminent as it is ideal for my latest layout.

I see from the latest issue of Railway Modeller that the new barrier level crossing kit originally under development by Ratio has now, quite sensibly IMHO, been moved to the Wills Modern brand.  Hopefully the advertising means the kit is imminent as it is ideal for my latest layout.

Any pictures of this? Sounds interesting.

• RMweb Gold

Kernow Model Centre and Model Railways Direct (and I'm sure many others) now have these in stock. Pictures on their websites.

Kernow describe the kit as....

SSM318 Wills Modern Level Crossing Kit.

The modern level crossing, with its familiar barriers and suspended metal curtains, and associated equipment, is now available in model form, and will be welcomed by modellers of the contemporary railway scene. This detailed plastic kit contains a wealth of parts:
  • Roadbed, complete with anti-trespass boards.
  • Four curtained barriers in the lowered position, and four raised barriers (giving a choice as to how the level crossing should be modelled).
  • Barrier supports, warning lights and road signs.
  • Relocatable Equipment Building (R.E.B.).
  • CCTV & Lighting Posts x 2.
  • Approx. 580mm palisade fencing.
The roadbed has been designed to be used in conjunction with PECO Streamline Code 100 & 75 flexible track for single or double track lines, and additional roadbed can be added for multiple tracks. It should be noted that it is not compatible with Setrack track geometry, so modellers will have to contemplate some modifications to the roadbed to make it fit. On a single track section it would be fine. 

Although intended as a static model, provision has been made to enable operation using the Pecolectrics SmartSwitch servo motor control system, the barrier pedestal being hollow and parts included to facilitate a connection with the servo link wire. The effect will be quite impressive.

Various bits of the kit are available separately

SSM319 Wills Modern Level Crossing Roadbed Kit.
SSM320 Wills Modern Relocatable Equipment Cabinet Kit.
SSM321 Wills CCTV Posts Cameras and Lights Kit. (Pack of 2)

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get my hands on this new kit today.

Comes in the same style of packaging as the Wills Modern Warehouses with instructions printed on the inner side of the card insert.  A pair of level crossing signs are printed in good quality on the outer side of the card.

post-462-0-51138300-1478278007_thumb.jpg

Inside you get four sets of surface panels and anti trespass boards moulded in black. Having four gives you the flexibility to have double or single track crossing and also same for road width.

post-462-0-43323800-1478277996_thumb.jpg

The Relocatable Equipment Building is moulded in grey plastic. One end has a moulded on air conditioning unit, step and door detail.

post-462-0-88678600-1478277988_thumb.jpg

Moulded in white is the lights, barriers, signs and lifting mechanism, you get two sets of these mouldings.  The lights have pilot holes moulded in to make it easier for the modeller to open them up to accept LED's.  There are a total of eight barriers, four with moulded skirt in the down position and four with skirt folded away portraying the barriers in the raised position.  It's disappointing that a better solution couldn't be found for the skirts.  The barriers and lights have moulded lines to make it easier to paint on the red warning marks.

post-462-0-92344000-1478277981_thumb.jpg

The final parts are four lengths of the new Wills Palisade Fencing and a pair of CCTV/lighting posts.  You get two posts, two lights (enough for one post) and four cameras ( enough for two posts).

post-462-0-07568100-1478277975_thumb.jpg

Overall it's a nice kit and is pretty much everything you need in one box.

• RMweb Gold

Re the level crossing, it looks a good kit. Nice to see the anti trespass guards modelled, I still need those for my crossing. I must admit I was a little concerned that my one may lose its specialness with this kit coming out, but have to be a bit pleased to see that the barriers have been moulded in two forms with no attempt at a method of folding...

*engage smug mode*

Andi

Archived