Hither Green P.A.D - A Lyddrail challenge layout

carlw

Hi,

At this years Lydd rail there was discussion of a challenge layout for next years event.

The basics of the rules are that the scenic part of the layout has to be 4'8.5" X 12" and have at least 1 working point. The fiddle yard has to be no more than 288 square inches.

I wanted to keep the theme on the southern region so that I could use the stock that I'm building for Tonbridge. As such I could either do a small station for 4 car units or something for all the wagons.

After a bit of thought and searching through photos I liked the idea of the P.A.D area behind Hither Green depot.

There were a few down sides to this. Most photos online are of locos on the depot not of the area I wanted. (Paul did send me some) the space allowed would not let me have a scale model of the yard, so I decided it would be a representation of the yard.

So with planing done 2 weeks ago I started building the boards and laying track. Over the last couple of weeks things have progressed so that wiring, ballasting, construction of a road and painting of the backscene are done. Progress can be seen below

post-7442-0-88900100-1473953815_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So progress is really moving on with this little layout. I have managed to get most of the basic scenery done, now I'm going to be working on wagons and detailing (going to take the time as the yard is full of junk to model)

post-7442-0-02102000-1475176822_thumb.jpeg

While working on the scenery I have also been making a load of wagons that I got at TINGS, I still have another half dozen to build. My crux is painting things but it m going to do my best.

I have to admit that the 4 seacows in the pic below I didn't build I found them on eBay for £8.50 each.

post-7442-0-18420700-1475176963_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 3

Hi,

Here is some of this weekend developments.

post-7442-0-11555900-1475423081_thumb.jpeg

The fence is from BH enterprise. The sandbags have been made with Bluetac that's molded and painted to give it the appearance, they are only placed there at the moment and could end up being moved.

As can also be see from the photo I have painted and added the buffers, these do still need a bit more work to make them appear used.

I have also been building more Parkside kits of a "Clam" & "Pipe"

Cheers

Carl

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure if you were friends or not. Another layout looking good as well do you really have that much time on your hands to be working on that many at once lol. Can't find the time for one at the moment but hopefully when I get back to work things may have calmed down a little with all the drivers being back at Carnforth now instead of all over the country so hopefully the office staff won't always be on the road so other jobs can be done

• 2 months later...

It's been ages since I posted an update for Hither Green, but work has been progressing.

Most work has been on making and painting small detailing parts.

post-7442-0-35435900-1482336119_thumb.jpeg

I have also been working on wagon kits from various sources.

Parkside Grampus, Tunnys and Pipes.

N Gauge society Salmons

John grey Trestrol fitted with a cherry picker

post-7442-0-95329300-1482336199_thumb.jpeg

Loads of RTR wagons are also in the paint shop at various stages.

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 10

• 5 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone.

Work over the last few weeks has been concentrated on painting wagons.

This evening I felt like a break from the wagons so I have made a start on the yard office, it is only a representation of the actual building as I can only find a couple of photos that both show the same side.

post-7442-0-86157200-1484948039_thumb.jpeg

Like most of my buildings the basic construction is card. From photos I can find of the actual build it seems to be made of some kind of stucko material so I think I will just paint the building rather than use any paper overlay.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend while I helped Mr Farmer with Tanners hill at the Milton Keynes exhibition, Steve and Richard both told me off for not having enough updates on here, so here goes

An update on the yard office building can be seen below. I have added an entrance lobby extension and painted the building. Exterior details and glazing are still to be added.

post-7442-0-26265200-1487519420_thumb.jpeg

I have been working on lots of different detailing elements for the yard (junk)

post-7442-0-84697900-1487519597_thumb.jpeg

Some new locos have joined the roster: a second Dapol 33 in civils and 37603 in EPS livery. (Me and Steve have a feeling that this is a CJM repaint)

post-7442-0-34403900-1487519676_thumb.jpeg

On the wagon front I have been working on loads. Quite a few of which are at the point of needing transfers:

N gauge society Salmon

post-7442-0-46003700-1487519795_thumb.jpeg

Parkside pipes and Bachman SR brake

post-7442-0-28696800-1487519898_thumb.jpeg

3 Parkside grampus and 2 Parkside tunnys

post-7442-0-64074700-1487519952_thumb.jpeg

3 Chivers tubes (7 more still to build)

post-7442-0-68630300-1487519997_thumb.jpeg

10 Chivers Seahorses

post-7442-0-30865900-1487520083_thumb.jpeg

I have also got loads of different detailing parts at various stages of construction or paint, more on these as they get complete.

Carl

• Like 7

About time you updated

Departmental wagons coming on well

Have you got the transfers sorted yet.

All looking good though mate.

Thanks Steve

Cheers guys,

Steve, I haven't ordered them but I went on fox transfers and came up with £75 worth. All different types of tops panels and some red alphabets for the cherry picker. I'm sure there is loads more I need.

Carl

Well done Carl

Looking good

Steves pep talk brushed off on me as well, been doing stuff every night, just finished a Sat Link repainted OBA

Well done

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Good to hear you have your mojo back. Maybe we should arrange a meeting with Steve if you loose it again. His encouragement seems to work

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Work has been progressing on various bits and bobs for the layout, here is a small update on some of what I have been up to.

First up. I have been putting the chopper to good use and started cutting up sleepers, some of which have been glued in place. Also I have built, painted and placed all the point levers. This week a package arrived from Mark howarth containing a pack of yard lamps.

In the second photo you can see I have glued several stacks of scrap rail. I have also moved the ballast staths to the other side of the siding (this is now glued in place).

post-7442-0-88279000-1489070796_thumb.jpeg

post-7442-0-04783700-1489070942_thumb.jpeg

One of the other big things I have been working on is the rake of seahorse. They have reached the paint stage with the yellow coat having been applied.

post-7442-0-68011700-1489071040_thumb.jpeg

There is various of bits and bobs I'm working on but more on these will follow over the next few weeks.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 8