Hither Green P.A.D - A Lyddrail challenge layout

carlw

Coming on a treat Carl - I'm catching you up though :P

Did you have a stash of Seahorses or have you found a secret supplier of Chivers kits?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks Andy,

No secret stash, I just phoned him up and asked if he had any. I also got Stephen and I 10 tube opens each.

Carl

• Like 1

Today's modelling efforts in the loft consist of making another 3 Tubes wagons, only 4 more to go now.

I have also knocked up a delivery of new pipes ready for some engineering posession. These were made from sprues from some of the kits I have built and a little bit of microstrip.

post-7442-0-64549900-1489239910_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Tonight's entertainment is a bottle of Dunkel Fester, my chopper, some plastruct and glue to make a pile of pallets of new cable troughs.

Carl

Frankly, Carl, seeing your chopper has made my day.

40 years ago, on early turn, I would walk from Hither Green to Grove Park, passing the CCE depot to my left. My next port of call was the TOPS office, where I would discuss whatever with the Yard Supervisor. My previous destination had been Hither Green ticket office, where I unloaded some stuff for them to process. Modelling the PAD is off-the-scale implausible, and I wish you good luck with it. 

• Like 2

Frankly, Carl, seeing your chopper has made my day.

40 years ago, on early turn, I would walk from Hither Green to Grove Park, passing the CCE depot to my left. My next port of call was the TOPS office, where I would discuss whatever with the Yard Supervisor. My previous destination had been Hither Green ticket office, where I unloaded some stuff for them to process. Modelling the PAD is off-the-scale implausible, and I wish you good luck with it.

Thank you.

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the yard from back then that you could share please?

Cheers

Carl

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

Don't suppose you have any pictures of the yard from back then that you could share please?

Cheers

Carl

Sorry. No pics. I don't think my dark days there ever led to photography. Life was a bit too serious, industrial relations were parlous - while I was on leave in early 1976 my boss left the industry abruptly - and I was glad to get away at the end of 1977, becoming a Relief SM. I think the BTF film on Operation London Bridge (probably on YouTube) may have a few seconds on the prelim layout at the PAD. I suspect the place was a bit dynamic, changing to meet the needs of the sites being served. But I'm not an engineer, so not my field. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bit of work managed this week due to a busy work schedule.

The pallets of cable troughs have all been cut, glued and painted. This lot amount to one packet of plasticard and will fill two ZDA's with a few left over for the yard. I guess I better order several more packets.

post-7442-0-87935600-1490369476_thumb.jpeg

The 10 seahorse wagons have had the yellow and grey livery applied. They do still need a few areas of the livery touching up where the paint had seeped under the masking tape. Next job on them is the rust colour inside and the under frames.

post-7442-0-52876300-1490369633_thumb.jpeg

I have also put a coat of static grass down on the waste areas at the back of the layout. These will also be covered with trees and undergrowth.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 3

Who knows what the Lieutenant gets up to in his spare time.....

The trees certainly are a marked improvement on the garish green of the originals. - Good use of "Scale colour" (TM Adrian Lambourne) here, Carl.

I am falling behind again after leaving my control panel design at work.

Cheers, Andy.

Who knows what the Lieutenant gets up to in his spare time.....

The trees certainly are a marked improvement on the garish green of the originals. - Good use of "Scale colour" (TM Adrian Lambourne) here, Carl.

I am falling behind again after leaving my control panel design at work.

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks for the praise

Ohh dear Andy, you can't afford to fall behind with less than 4 months to go. I did mention to Stephen that either everyone is keeping quite on progress, or going to have a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

Just a little more work done this morning,

The fiddle yard is now built and has had the first coat of paint done. This brings the total length of the layout to 8'4". Before anyone says anything, I know that im also deviating from the rules with the extra fiddle yard area. Do you think if I mark some of the board for brew mugs I can get away with it?

post-7442-0-81108600-1490704147_thumb.jpeg

I have also been planting trees, none are glued yet. I wanted to make sure I'm happy with the feel of them in the placement before that happened.

post-7442-0-67439300-1490704318_thumb.jpeg

I think at this point my biggest problem is going to be filling the yard up with clutter, any suggestions on this would be more than welcome as I need a lot.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 4

Northampton CMD had piles of concrete sleepers 5 or 6 wide, up to 8 high divided with sleeper batterns. Concrete sleepers turned upside down were used a roadways between the Sidings. Stacks of old and new wooden sleepers and point timbers. Skips, cable drums, concrete troughing, old oil drums, grounded van bodies, stacks of new rail, point work and block joints, piles of scrap rail, chairs, etc.

Railway vans and trucks, few private cars

Will check my photos for more ideas

Richard

Northampton CMD had piles of concrete sleepers 5 or 6 wide, up to 8 high divided with sleeper batterns. Concrete sleepers turned upside down were used a roadways between the Sidings. Stacks of old and new wooden sleepers and point timbers. Skips, cable drums, concrete troughing, old oil drums, grounded van bodies, stacks of new rail, point work and block joints, piles of scrap rail, chairs, etc.

Richard

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Some of those ideas will be tough to do in N gauge, but it doesn't mean I won't try.

For concrete sleepers the best/only ones I know of are by the 2mm society, you need to be a member to buy from their shop at the moment the cost of that would prohibit me from doing that just for a hundred sleepers and some lengths of flex track to make 60' lengths. Maybe something for the future unless there is a current member who would be willing to sell me some?

Scrap Point work is a similar thing, I think to do this I would need to start making track. Again I would need to be buying tools from the 2mm society. I'm thinking a to have a few scrap crossing V's laying around.

The best looking cable drums were made by CRS, but he has sold up to Peedies and the drums are not available on his website. I do have some Peco ones but they really do look naff.

Cable troughs as can be seen in a previous post are under construction, I do need to buy some more plastic to make more.

Oil drums/skips are done and in a box waiting to be place.

Scrap rail is all on the layout already. I think I need to buy some more code 40 rail and make more.

Great suggestions, would you mind sending me a PM with any good shots in please Richard.

Cheers

Carl

Here's a few photos of the work done over the last couple of nights.

I have started to add some clump foliage to various areas, as Steve said help break up the Grey yard.

post-7442-0-39641600-1491421512_thumb.jpeg

The seahorse's have all had the insides painted various Browns to represent the rusty colour that they would have gained with use. I have also painted 6 of the wagons under frames black.

post-7442-0-66463800-1491421542_thumb.jpeg

The tube wagons have all recieved the first coat of paint for their various liverys. 1, satlink. 1, olive. 3 in a light green and 5 in a dirty brown.

post-7442-0-08093400-1491421699_thumb.jpeg

Last but not least I have have been making 3 loads of recovered sleepers to go in the ZAA wagons. They are removeable with a magnet as they have a Peco wagon weight underneath.

post-7442-0-17494200-1491421789_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 5