Looking for non Digitrax loconet throttles

Fettster42

Title says it. Looking for non Digitrax loconet throttles.

Why? Am part of a modular group that have agreed to use Digitrax loconet as our dcc system. We each need to provide a throttle but the group provides the base station.

What. It needs to be compatible with Digitrax loconet and be a throttle and accessory controller.

Why not a dt402. Not totally sure it won't be. Just used one today and not found it very intuitive and it's not especially cheap. At home I am running a nce power can and really like the design and ergonomics of the handset. And price was good when I bought it.

So really what I'm asking is there a reasonably priced, loconet throttle that is more nce is design.

Thanks very much.

Uhlenbrock Daisy-2 Throttles work fine on Digitrax systems.    Throttle costs about the same as a DT402 (give or take).   

Only significant limitation is that I don't think you can do any programming of a loco on a Digitrax system from a Daisy-2 handset, and that would include setting CV19 to form consists.  If CV19 were set on another handset, then the Daisy can then control the consisted loco.     I doubt Daisy can access the command station consists within the Digitrax system either. 

Daisy is nicer to use than a PowerCab, so the only risk is that you also sell your PowerCab and get the Daisy-2 system. 

The Fred mentioned above is OK, but I think now discontinued.  Fred doesn't do accessory devices.   The Fred is originally a DIY design, and there are kit forms of it available.

- Nigel

(Edited to mention programming limitation)

Edited by Nigelcliffe

Could you add a PC running JMRI, a Wi-Fi access point and a Locobuffer to the layout? You could then use an in-expensive tablet or smart phone as a controller.

Yes, good point.  And the "PC" could be just a Rasberry-PI, rather than a big computer tower or an expensive laptop.  A WiFi access point can be a tiny little box (smaller than the LocoBuffer), or with the right configuration, a PI can be the WiFi access point and run JMRI. 

Thanks all, The Daisy looks quite nice. Anyone know if anyone will have one available for a hands-on and demo at Warley?

At previous Warley shows, "DCC Automation" have had them on their stand, but I would suggest asking specifically if you want to look at one. 

I've no idea which dealers will be attending this year's Warley show. 

I don't find shows the best place to evaluate such things, better if possible to travel somewhere that you can test in a less stressful and hectic environment. 

- Nigel

• 3 years later...

Hi,

A late answer for sure but having a variety of loconet throttles readily available can be a good addition to the layout . 
The first to mention and closest to fit your requirement  is the Fleischmann Profi Boss ( getting hard to find nowadays) 

Then we have the Daisy Hand Controller which can be used connected to the Intellibox command station via the base radio unit  or as a stand alone DCC central station  or even as a stand alone throttle by connecting the radio master base unit to an ESU loconet Converter which will also give you the Piko/ ESU  mobile android based touch screen motorised  hand throttle . Further loconet throttle options  include the use of the Marklin mobile station 1  connected to Uhlenbrock loconet Converter module to integrate it into the existing loconet ( again increasingly more difficult to find nowadays ) 

Note:  in the extreme right of the attached image you can see the Piko smart controller which is based on theESU mobile hand unit .

Hope this is helpful 

0E5C8E95-D3E9-4F45-954F-B3603E657798.jpeg

What about one of the UT throttles from Digitrax?  I have a pair of UT2's, which I use on occasion.  They are NOT full featured, but are workable throttle only solutions.  (I use the DT402 to consist/ect, then grab the train with the UT & run that way).  Gives a single knob/4 button/toggle answer to running.  Limits you to 7/8 functions.  

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, peach james said:

What about one of the UT throttles from Digitrax?  I have a pair of UT2's, which I use on occasion.  They are NOT full featured, but are workable throttle only solutions.  (I use the DT402 to consist/ect, then grab the train with the UT & run that way).  Gives a single knob/4 button/toggle answer to running.  Limits you to 7/8 functions.  

I have a couple of UT4s and a UT4 Duplex. Very basic but full fine control of speed, direction and basic functions of course, once a loco is acquired. No techie display but so what? For shunting or running the branch train they are perfect. ISTR they were developed after Digitrax asked modellers what they needed in a basic throttle.