Dapol Class 22

DLPG

As you say Nidge some cracking footage. But beware the sound track. That 08 2 mins in to the second clip sounds like a 14 to me! Notes are of Paxman rather than EE music I suspect....

Kind regards

Phil

There's a bit of Sulzer 12LDA28 in the sound file aswell. They could have used the Hymek sound for the class 22's as they sounded very similar.

• RMweb Gold

There's a bit of Sulzer 12LDA28 in the sound file aswell. They could have used the Hymek sound for the class 22's as they sounded very similar.

Cheers - thought some more werent quite right! Not the first time have heard this - theres a DVD of diesels in Forest of Dean - cant remember which one but my good friend Mr Mabbutt has it - in which as suggested here a 22 has hymek sounds dubbed - and a 37 sounds suspiciously like it has been re-engined with a Sulzer 6LD!

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

Edited to correct my appalling grammer. Worcester Royal Grammar School has a lot to answer for!

Edited by Phil Bullock

Great baby d, I've got that vid, watch it loads of times, one day ill get to explore the s n'd remains, mike arlett always comes across a nice guy, think he'd be the ideal tour guide :)

I bought it some time ago, just to get the class 22 footage. It is a great video, with many hours spent freeze framing the class 22 footage and rewinding the tape. ;)

Edited by Baby Deltic

Thanks to all those that pointed out the problem with the Bachmann 21 pin decoder and the fact that the cab lights only operated at one end. I have now changed the decoder to a Hornby Sapphire and the cab lights can be controlled at each end. The problem I have is that I use the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance and the function button F2 is a momentary make and not a latch. So if I press F2 the cab light comes on when I press F2 but goes out when I release it. I presume someone may have encountered the same problem and if so I would like to know if and how they have overcome this problem, I don't know whether it is possible to remap the functions from F2 to F3 say. I think this will be a problem with the Prodigy Advance. Any help would be appreciated.

Both Baby Deltic and Michael's shots clearly show all the rivets in the windscreen surrounds, something I hadn't really noticed before but showing that the Dapol model is quite correct.

It also highlights the small error concerning the silver coloured frame on the cab door window, which should be black. ;)

• RMweb Premium

It's been a fair few years since my last sighting of a class 22 (6333 fussing with wagons in Exeter Riverside) but I'd say the sound - albeit engine-only tickover - is well captured.

• RMweb Gold

Both Baby Deltic and Michael's shots clearly show all the rivets in the windscreen surrounds, something I hadn't really noticed before but showing that the Dapol model is quite correct.

Yes, but ... I am fairly sure that they were recessed heads and not snap-head rivets as modelled by Dapol (and they very definitely were not snap head on the 1000s). The reason they show up so well is because being recessed they collected the dirt, it just stayed in there gradually solidifying.

They are actually countersunk screws that have trapped dirt. The NBL drawings show them as screws.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Contrary to all the praise on this forum, I am far from happy with the running quality of my 22. When first run it was very noisy and after about 2 hours running in it improved slightly and it was then put away until I had more time. Today has been the first opportunity to really test it and as the day has gone on it has not improved. The main problem appears to be noise from the gears, it sounds like a Mainline 42 that is past its prime! It is certainly the noisiest loco in my fleet. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Just taken delivery of my 22 and it has exactly the same problem. This is very disappointing given the excellent performance of my two Beattie tanks.

• RMweb Gold

I've posted this clip before somewhere, but I can't remember which thread it was. There are some class 22's in this clip, and I would say the sound is original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOMB37MNkWo&feature=related

Hmm

Have my cynical hat on here am afraid! Class 22 sounds on this sound mighty like an MD870 to me. Look at many of the steam clips on here - are the beats synchronised with the wheels? Not at all sure....if not then surely is dubbed sound?

A lot of cine footage had dubbed sounds added subsequently - does anyone have the dvd, does the accompanying info make it explicit? That is not to denigrate the footage - it is superb - the sound is just a function of the technology in place when it was originally taken and we are damned lucky to have access to the video with or without original sounds.

Cant wait to hear the MAN diesel when it gets put in to D832 - that will give us the answer I guess. However my missus says she doesnt know how I can get involved in these debates as I cant hear anything any way! Hee hee pass the herring aid - OK fish jokes has better be a seperate thread!

Kind regards

Phil

Hmm

Have my cynical hat on here am afraid! Class 22 sounds on this sound mighty like an MD870 to me. Look at many of the steam clips on here - are the beats synchronised with the wheels? Not at all sure....if not then surely is dubbed sound?

A lot of cine footage had dubbed sounds added subsequently - does anyone have the dvd, does the accompanying info make it explicit? That is not to denigrate the footage - it is superb - the sound is just a function of the technology in place when it was originally taken and we are damned lucky to have access to the video with or without original sounds.

Cant wait to hear the MAN diesel when it gets put in to D832 - that will give us the answer I guess. However my missus says she doesnt know how I can get involved in these debates as I cant hear anything any way! Hee hee pass the herring aid - OK fish jokes has better be a seperate thread!

Kind regards

Phil

Take it from me Phil - it IS dubbed sound.

Gmax

Thanks to all those that pointed out the problem with the Bachmann 21 pin decoder and the fact that the cab lights only operated at one end. I have now changed the decoder to a Hornby Sapphire and the cab lights can be controlled at each end. The problem I have is that I use the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance and the function button F2 is a momentary make and not a latch. So if I press F2 the cab light comes on when I press F2 but goes out when I release it. I presume someone may have encountered the same problem and if so I would like to know if and how they have overcome this problem, I don't know whether it is possible to remap the functions from F2 to F3 say. I think this will be a problem with the Prodigy Advance. Any help would be appreciated.

I've got the same controller and I believe F2 is commonly used for whistles with sound decoders, hence the momentary action. I don't know about the Hornby Sapphire decoder as I've been rather less than impressed with Hornby's digital stuff generally. I used the TCS EU621 as I know how to remap the function outputs on TCS decoders. They have a useful chart http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Technical_Info/Tech_Manuals/FunctionRemapping.pdf which shows you how to do it. F3 is commonly used for the 'low gear' function I think. Just as example I remapped the F2 cab light to F5 by sending a value of 64 to CV36

Hope this is some help.

Keith.

Hmm

Kind regards

Phil

The MAN and Maybach engines sounded almost identical from what I can gather. The designs were very similar and both had a pulsing exhaust note.