Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Its great that we are getting version 2 of the class 22, full marks to Dapol, But....................

please, please Dapol Dave can we have a nice richer more satin green on the disc versions, like those Bachmann people manage on their 4mm Warships?

Floods version of the blue shows how really good (and correct!!) the model can be made to look with a decent lick of paint.

• Like 1

I got my D6313 this week - very nice model - plugged in my TCS 621 - hint if you have a digitrax controller then reprogramming CV36 to 16 on this decoder will allow the cab lights to be controlled by buttons 1 & 3 rather than 1 & 2 (as button 2 isnt latching on digitrax)

Anyway all going smoothly until I tried to fit Kadees and had very big droop from the NEM sockets - it seemed to be the socket mounting causing the droop rather than the normal cause of the NEM socket having too much play in it - anyone else got this problem and come up with a solution?

Ideas gratefully received.

I used the Kadee pliers on my #18 couplings today. By bending up the metal pipework a bit more the coupling works absolutely fine. The same procedure worked on the Beattie as well.

• RMweb Premium

In the vain hope we are doing something right with this loco, :dontknow: look what's come in this morning?

Only a first view cad shot with lots still to do, but of interest and worth me teasing you all. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Yes PLEASE!

I've finished off the bogies,complete with brake blocks,and yes I admit,these are hard to see,probably why Dapol didn't fit them in the first place?

Both bogies are heavy weathered in frame dirt with a few streaks of black and I think it all looks pretty good,a photo is being 'thought about' but my camera and computer skills are not good, I have not approached my 'child' as yet!

I had taken the couplings off,so I re-fitted one of them after a small washer was removed and the head' flattened' on the screw so that it does not interfear with the bogie,with the bogie height changed,there was a definate probability that this would happen!

The cabin glazing was removed so that I could paint out the silver window surrounds on the doors black, I did this because it was easier, my available brush is 'fat', I'm sure I don't have to elaborate!! I 'overlaid' the 'overhead' warning flashes with some of the more correct 'era' I had 'lying around'..10 of them!! I painted the 'insides' of the headcodes flat white thinking this will make the letters and numerals stand out in white,not really!,perhaps I should paint the fronts white as well?

The glazing and cab were refitted to the body, detailing of the 'leading' bufferbeam with the pipes and coupling was done, and one full length of side valances were re-fitted back on the chassis (it came off with constant handling) This I think is the first time the loco has been 'as one' since all this work began,and now it's 'more or less' finished',I 'weathered' up the roof a bit using an HB pencil and then the index finger, this 'temporarily' makes the roof look kinda lightly weathered and with my finger, which is now very black,a bit of 'moistening' and I slightly blackened the exhaust ports as well....now it's more like a 22!........Dave

• RMweb Gold

In the vain hope we are doing something right with this loco, :dontknow: look what's come in this morning?

Only a first view cad shot with lots still to do, but of interest and worth me teasing you all. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Dave, you've just become my new best friend :yahoo:

My weathered D6315 has now arrived from Kernow Models and very nice it is too! I tested it briefly on DC then fitted a TCS 21-pin decoder and ran it in. It does have a little bit of gear whine, rather similar to ViTrains' classes 37 and 47 - not unpleasant but noisier than Hornby and Bachmann's similar mechs. I haven't tried it with any sort of load yet but I am absolutely convinced it will haul anything I choose to hang off the couplings!

I note that the cab light at one end only comes on when function 1 is selected - a nice touch. I haven't fitted the headcodes yet so it looked a little odd with just the empty boxes illuminated and I will definitely paint over those horn apertures that seem to allow the light out.

Encouraged by the weathering on the Dapol/Kernow item, I decided to start weathering my Silver Fox one as well with results, so far, that I am quite happy with, although not quite up to the professional standards of the Dapol one. I'll post a pic or two in the next day or so.

One other thing though: I am more and more convinced the Silver Fox one looks more like the earlier converted locos rather than the later ones built from new with the headcode boxes, although it does have only two-piece centre doors on the front. I numbered it D6356 believing it to be one of the later ones so do I now renumber it or do I leave all my paintwork unscathed and leave well enough alone?

EDIT: Function 2 operates the opposite end cab light.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Pleased you like her Jeff. Mine would have arrived by now also had I not requested a "hold" for collect in person which means they will not now be at Penhayle Bay until mid-June. But the wait will have been worthwhile and with all three weathered ones ordered the slight delay does help my cash flow in order to reach Camborne!

I note that the cab light at one end only comes on when function 1 is selected - a nice touch. I haven't fitted the headcodes yet so it looked a little odd with just the empty boxes illuminated and I will definitely paint over those horn apertures that seem to allow the light out.

I too was wondering about the small round openings above the headcode boxes - are they really openings for the horns? Just seams strange that Dapol appear to have made a small protrusion on I assume the cab glazing unit (I haven't dismantled the loco yet, so could be wrong) with the intension of these openings being treated as lights.

Cheers, Mike C

Not to worry, this thread is so long now that it must be fairly difficult for someone who hasn't lived through it to remember what's there. I also sometimes try to find things here, only to find they were actually in Andy's original review.

Nick

ps fixed spelling of review in previous post, can't imagine what I was thinking when I wrote 'revue' :no:

This is the 'non' driver end,this is my last photo and it shows the better lot of springs and it's more in focus..Dave

I've quickly tried to look back through your entries Dave to see whether you'd addressed the height of the bogie sides as well as your spring modifications. I couldn't be certain whether you'd done anything but the bogie/side gap looks better than my original snaps, maybe it's just the angle of the shots?

Hello Andy,here's a better angle,we're not really talking of a scale foot, it's been raised about as high as it can go without fowling the underside. The axle boxes are in line with the wheel centres which is a bit better than the original,well, at least I think it is..Dave

post-14477-0-41452700-1330079138_thumb.jpgHello Andy,here's a better angle,we're not really talking of a scale foot, it's been raised about as high as it can go without fowling the underside. The axle boxes are in line with the wheel centres which is a bit better than the original,well, at least I think it is..Dave

• Like 4

Has anybody who has taken delivery of a Weathered Blue class 22 from Kernow found they don't have the correct lower bodyside panels? I have two R2's and no R3, so if there is anybody here with two R3's and no R2, please PM me and we can arrange a swap.

Regards

Mark Humphrys