Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi Guys,

I received my D6323 model from Kernow Wednesday last week but have only just had a chance to look at it. It is an absolutely smashing model. A quick question for people who have bought the weathered versions. Are the lower body valencing included with your locos weathered to as mine appear to be pristine. Its a fantastic model and is happily running round with a Bachmann 21 pin chip in atm.

best wishes

colin

• RMweb Premium

I have one of the Kernow weathered blue models and I'm really delighted with it. Roll on the "thousand".

Unfortunately when taking off one of the bogie frames to examine it for conversion to EM, I accidentally snapped the bottom plate off it and although I have tried to repair it, it won't stay in place. D'oh !

I have emailed Dapol to see if there is any chance of obtaining a replacment.

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

PM duly sent.

Yet another fantastic response from Dave, customer service at its finest.

Dapol should be proud to have someone who is so highly thought of by people who buy their products.

Douglas

• Like 1

My D6313 suffered motor failure yesterday, after a total of around 4 hours running, across 6 weeks :(

Checked everything, decoder etc, but ultimately with 9v across the motor terminals (with decoder blanking plate removed) and nothing happening, I was resigned to having to return this one.

Gutted, as this remains my current favourite!

This was my second model (the first one had a light problem and was very promptly replaced via my model shop). I think I could be jinxed with this loco!

It is now back with Nick and Gem, I hope Dave and his team can help me again!

N

Hi Neal,

Can you send it directly to me please and I'll sort it immediately for you?

Cheers

Dave

Should be back with you this week, via my local store,

You are a gent and a scholar,

N

When my Class 22 arrived in Canada the windows at each end had become detached and fallen into the cabs. It was impossible to effect a repair as there is no way to get into the cab. Therefore it is not possible to fit a crew either. I wrote to Dapol but their response was not positive or conciliatory. I found on a different forum that others have found the same shortcomings in the model. Fortunately the dealer I bought from has agreed to replace just the body - a request which was made of Dapol and declined by Mr. Jones. The cost of returning just the body instead of the complete loco is significantly less. Unfortunately I shall end up with a blue version instead of the green one I wanted. Poor customer service Mr. Jones.

When my Class 22 arrived in Canada the windows at each end had become detached and fallen into the cabs. It was impossible to effect a repair as there is no way to get into the cab.

I have removed the 4 cabs from my two class 22s, 3 of them came out with no trouble but 1 was stuck quite firmly and had to be eased away from the inside of the body with a knife blade, I removed the glazing in order to clean off the weathering and make the drop lights partly open, also fitting crew at each end. The glazing was restuck with Johnsons Klear, take care if using oil or spirit based products as this can craze the glazing.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When my Class 22 arrived in Canada the windows at each end had become detached and fallen into the cabs. It was impossible to effect a repair as there is no way to get into the cab. Therefore it is not possible to fit a crew either. I wrote to Dapol but their response was not positive or conciliatory. I found on a different forum that others have found the same shortcomings in the model. Fortunately the dealer I bought from has agreed to replace just the body - a request which was made of Dapol and declined by Mr. Jones. The cost of returning just the body instead of the complete loco is significantly less. Unfortunately I shall end up with a blue version instead of the green one I wanted. Poor customer service Mr. Jones.

Not Dapol but I have relatively recently asked a retailer about returning a defective loco and whether the whole thing needs to be sent back. The answer - yes it does. It seems that most if not all manufacturers now insist on getting the complete model back for replacement if defective. The bodies are not produced separately so none are available as a replacement part. Dapol is probably no different in this respect.

I have always assumed that manufacturers, when they get back defective models, mix and match and carry out repairs to make as many "good" models as possible for resale. You usually see such repaired models for sale on Bachmann's stand at exhibitions - or at least you used to.

Fortunately the dealer I bought from has agreed to replace just the body - a request which was made of Dapol and declined by Mr. Jones. The cost of returning just the body instead of the complete loco is significantly less.

My understanding was that you were asked to return the whole loco and were advised that postage costs may be recoverable with the intention of providing the correct replacement or refund.

Hi chaps,

formulating my plans for the disc front class 22 and wanted to throw this past you.

Would not having 'eyebrows' above the cab front windows be a deal breaker for you?

I ask because if possible (and i'm still checking) i'd like to do D6311 Green SYWP (and this has the brows), D6332 Green with SYWP (not rectangular but peaked panel), D6322 Green SYWP with larger (wider) SYWP, and lastly D6325 Green no yellow warning panel.

Thoughts and opinions please, and please take into account that these numbers arent locked down or publicised so feel free to suggest alternatives if you want.

cheers

Dave

Mr. Administrator, It’s very easy to say that the dealer should pay for the return of the loco. Why should he/she have to bear the cost when the fault is due to poor construction by the manufacturer? Too many small model shops have closed down already without adding to their burden. In a day and age where parts are available for just about anything why is it beyond reason for a manufacturer to make a body available to exchange for a faulty one? The cost of mailing the whole loco from Canada to the UK is in the region of £15-20, which would have to be incurred twice by the dealer. To send the body alone is £5 or £6.

I don’t know about anyone else but I hate wasting money especially when the Post Office is the sole beneficiary.

I think it’s time to update some thinking here Dapol. Or maybe you don’t think customer service and satisfaction matter.

• Like 1

...D6325 Green no yellow warning panel.

From my (brief) review of available photos, I take it that this version would be correct without the 'eyebrows' - in which case, fine by me!

Are you able to list which locos are correct with discs and without the 'eyebrows', regardless of liveries, please?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think it’s time to update some thinking here Dapol. Or maybe you don’t think customer service and satisfaction matter.

Wholly uncalled for IMHO !!

DapolDave has amply demonstrated his superb attention to customer service - just read back up this thread.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I ask because if possible (and i'm still checking) i'd like to do D6311 Green SYWP (and this has the brows), D6332 Green with SYWP (not rectangular but peaked panel), D6322 Green SYWP with larger (wider) SYWP, and lastly D6325 Green no yellow warning panel.

Dave,

I don't know if this is the full list of proposed models for the first batch with disk headcodes, but if it is could I suggest that it would be worth while doing two versions in all over green with no warning panel? They very often worked in multiple and i am sure there is a significant market share out there who would not want to do a renumbering exercise themselves.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Wholly uncalled for IMHO !!

DapolDave has amply demonstrated his superb attention to customer service - just read back up this thread.

John Isherwood.

So you are entitled to your opinion based on your experience and I am not! "Nuf said on the subject.

• Like 1

I think it's time you read back through this thread and others on this site before making inflammatory comments like the above.

• Like 2

So you are entitled to your opinion based on your experience and I am not! "Nuf said on the subject.

Once again it's not necessarily what you're saying but the way you go about it. I am also aware that you were publicising the criticisms in several locations. You've not done yourself too many favours by adopting that approach. Contrast this with someone who recently aired a wholly unconnected issue and received an amazing outcome.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Douglas,

there are no spare bogie frames i'm afraid, but i can do you a clean on.

If its any use please PM me here and i'll post one out on Monday.

cheers

Dave

Dave,

Have tried to PM you but it won't accept the message, so I'll post it here;

Dave,

Just a brief note to thank you for the replacements which arrived in the post today. I will try not to break these !

Very much looking forward to Dapols new OO announcements (though I suspect my wallet isn't.

Best wishes

Douglas