Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi chaps,

formulating my plans for the disc front class 22 and wanted to throw this past you.

Would not having 'eyebrows' above the cab front windows be a deal breaker for you?

I ask because if possible (and i'm still checking) i'd like to do D6311 Green SYWP (and this has the brows), D6332 Green with SYWP (not rectangular but peaked panel), D6322 Green SYWP with larger (wider) SYWP, and lastly D6325 Green no yellow warning panel.

Thoughts and opinions please, and please take into account that these numbers arent locked down or publicised so feel free to suggest alternatives if you want.

cheers

Dave

A question Dapol Dave, if you initially go down the road of producing the disc front without the 'eyebrows', is there any likelyhood in the foreseeable future that a disc front with 'eyebrows' might be produced? Are there any plans ever to produce a version with the 'eyebrows'?

Cheers, Mike C

Hi mike,

Unfortunately i do not have the facility to change the window area of the cab front.

When i designed the tool, something had to give to keep the rigidity of the tooling, and so i chose to fix the cab front windows in favour of putting slides in the tool to change the roof, nose, and sides if need be and at will.

Sorry.

cheers

Dave

Hi mike,

Unfortunately i do not have the facility to change the window area of the cab front.

When i designed the tool, something had to give to keep the rigidity of the tooling, and so i chose to fix the cab front windows in favour of putting slides in the tool to change the roof, nose, and sides if need be and at will.

Sorry.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dapol Dave,

Many thanks for your prompt responce. I can see where you are coming from about wanting to have a wide number spread across the class, but my own personal preferance would be to go for disc locos with the 'eyebrows' - far easier for people to remove the 'eyebrows' at home than to add them, should they want to create a particular loco. If it's too late to incorperate them in to this front version, might we see a version at some point in the future with 'eyebrows' with a third front style? To me the 'eyebrows' give the locos a feel of being an early design i.e., not as neet & tidy as some of the later classes - plus they would match the D600s.

Anyone else out there with a preferance for / against 'eyebrows'?

Cheers, Mike C

This seems to be a job for one of the detail manufacturers and a tube of glue!

Geoff Endacott

Shawplan step this way....

Hopefully a small etch wouldn't be too difficult to produce.

Help with headcodes would be appreciated.

I have just acquired a Kernow weathered 22 and wish to fit headcodes. Since I am very much a novice at alll things practical am I right in assuming that the headcodes as supplied are supposed just to be stuck over the glass pannel ? I have noticed elsewhere in this forum that people have used headcodes from other models such as the Heljan 52 which is what I intend to do but for the life of me I cannot remove the glass pannels. I have tried the blue tac method which worked brilliantly with the class 17 but is not having any effect this time round. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

The valences that seem to have caused issues fitted well and were the least cause of stress !

Hi Richard,

If you should go down the route of using Heljan or some other headcode sheets, you could just fit them directly onto the front of the glass and they would still look ok. You'll just need to trim them carefully to fit the apurtures and press them home gently with the end of a scalpel or craft knife blade, perhaps with a tiny dab of glue on the back. The glass pieces on my 22 are sit back quite a bit so the Heljan headcodes I'm using fit nicely into the holes and still look 'right'. Hope that helps.

The only snag I've found with my 22 is getting the cab interiors out, they just don't want to budge so I'll leave them for now... got plenty of other stuff to do anyway, with repaining mine into BSYP livery ;)

Edited by Rugd1022

Hi Richard,

If you should go down the route of using Heljan or some other headcode sheets, you could just fit them directly onto the front of the glass and they would still look ok. You'll just need to trim them carefully to fit the apurtures and press them home gently with the end of a scalpel or craft knife blade, perhaps with a tiny dab of glue on the back. The glass pieces on my 22 are sit back quite a bit so the Heljan headcodes I'm using fit nicely into the holes and still look 'right'. Hope that helps.

The only snag I've found with my 22 is getting the cab interiors out, they just don't want to budge so I'll leave them for now... got plenty of other stuff to do anyway, with repaining mine into BSYP livery ;)

Thanks for that. That was going to be plan 'B'. I am much reassured.

I've done exactly the same as Nidge suggested.

I haven't even glued them onto the glass as I had to trim the Heljan Western headcodes to first fit snuggly. I did cover the headcodes with gloss varnish once they were in though, to give the impression of a glass front.

If you don't have spare headcodes, and can put up with the slightly small font on those supplied, this is an alternative way to fix them and make them more legible

Stick the chosen Dapol ones to white self-adhesive paper, carefully cut around them, black the paper edges where cut, then peel off backing and carefully adhere to the boxes. These provide clearly legible numerals when unlit. When illuminated, the paper diffuses the lighting from within so that it is more even. Self adhesive paper removes the risk of uneven adhesive showing through the headcode. It also has some 'give' to align correctly, and is easy to remove if you wish to change the headcode at a later date

This also preserves the gloss of the Dapol decal, to give an impression of glass.

N

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yup

Done that with precision labels backlits on D6320 too

Removing the cab interior may not be for the faint hearted - lots of loud complaining noises from the model and the modeller - but all achieved ultimately without tears. Just gently ease the loco body side away from the cab interiors. Once you have the headcode glazing exposed fix the digits to the inside with a dab of gloss varnish, leave to dry and reassemble

Thanks to Trevor H for noting the very same loco on 9Z44 heading north through Cheltenham Spa - thats the code now carried at one end, 8.51 Gloucester tripper at the other end - loco currently with Jimbo for correction of OHL flashes and addition of TOPS panels. Anyone got a source of stencil type shed code transfers as used on WR at this time please? Will do some photos/video (Howes sound chip currently installed) next time layout is up

Cheers

Phil

Dont be so impatient. I havnt the faintest idea when in April the catalogue is due.

The 1st of April might be an apt date. Then you could string us along for a bit longer as to whether it is the real catalogue or not. ;)

• Like 2