Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

The real coup will be Dapol Dave driving a newly-restored MI3 in charge of three or four coaches up the secretly-relaid line from Muswell Hill to reach Ally Pally in suitable style. :locomotive:

Hi guys,

just finishing the 2012 catalogue and find ourselves with a need for a class 22 picture (disc headcode variant) to use.

Anyone got a decent picture (high res of one they own copyright to that we can loan for a fee?

Colour preferable of course.

Please PM me

cheers

Dave

The real coup will be Dapol Dave driving a newly-restored MI3 in charge of three or four coaches up the secretly-relaid line from Muswell Hill to reach Ally Pally in suitable style. :locomotive:

They're going to have to pull their finger out then - not much progress by last Saturday !!

post-5198-0-15122800-1333041266_thumb.jpg

I take it everyone approves of the class 22 then?

No comments at all about the cad/cam? finally will we have gotten it right close to the first time of asking? :locomotive:

Hi Dave,

Just one thought, the top of the nose (under the cab windows) looks a bit squared off rather than a smooth curve. Is this just an artifact of the CAD? The first batch had a smooth curve in this area. I have tried to draw (badly) to show what I mean.

If I have misunderstood the CAD then that is fine.

post-1144-0-05249800-1332408644_thumb.jpg

Edited by Karhedron

Hi all,

some advise need PLS.

1. I just got a BR blue (1000B) at Ally Pally which came with the front glazing loose in the cab. It looks like the cab is glued in place any advise how to remove the cab to fix the glazing. 2I'm not clear as to how to fit the headcodes is this done by removing the cab to seat the headcodes?

Thanks

Mike

The headcodes supplied by Dapol were to be stuck onto the front face of the headcode boxes. A number of us have used other headcode numbers instead.

When I repainted my loco I removed all the glazing and the cab interior was a little stubborn. The main area I remember was where the back wall meets the roof there is a small plastic moulded knub on the inside of the roof which the back wall had to be popped away from. It may well be that my loco had less glue to hold the interiors in but with a bit of flexing mine came out reasonably easily.

If you are in any doubt then contact your supplier for a replacement with all the front glazing in place (I wouldn't want to cause you to break your model).

Edited by Flood

The headcodes supplied by Dapol were to be stuck onto the front face of the headcode boxes. A number of us have used other headcode numbers instead.

When I repainted my loco I removed all the glazing and the cab interior was a little stubborn. The main area I remember was where the back wall meets the roof there is a small plastic moulded knub on the inside of the roof which the back wall had to be popped away from. It may well be that my loco had less glue to hold the interiors in but with a bit of flexing mine came out reasonably easily.

If you are in any doubt then contact your supplier for a replacement with all the front glazing in place (I wouldn't want to cause you to break your model).

Thanks Flood

Yep thats just what I dont want to do with a £125 loco! I don't really want the hassle of sending it back to the supplier as I brought it from them at Ally Pally and don't have the reciept readly available. when brought the loco the box was still in the tissue wrap, so I thought all would be ok, but when I got in out of the box the body wasn't seated properly and just came away. I thought I would be able to simply refit it. I have just tried to refit the body. It won't fit with out surgery so I think it best if It goes back.

I hope this is a one off and not I can expect from Dapol...

Mike

Hi Mike,

As you PM'd me as well as posted here, this is my answer.

Please ring me on Monday and I'll give you a freepost address to send it to so I can exchange it for you.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that, but where do I get your number?

I'd followed the development of this and other Dapol products on this forum and have always been impressed with the way you have engaged with your customers, which may not always be easy judging from some of the posts I've read.

I must admit to be a bit disappointed at the problems with the loco; however it really looks a quality product, although the shade (Yellow and Blue) of the paint doesn’t look quite right to me. This is probably because I’m used to the Bachmann/Heljan paint finish. Having said that I think Dapols finish of the BR Blue scheme forms a great base for a work weary faded weathered look which most of these locos had. I intended to convert the loco into a TOPS numbered, domino dot loco as I done with all my locos.

£125 is the most I’ve paid for a non-sound fitted diesel loco in OO but I think that I can see the value in this model and the design standards should bodes well for the Class21/29, Westerns which would also attract my modelling pound. I hope I’ve just been unlucky with a rouge model which has not been unknown with Bachmann and Hornby models I have purchased, including sound fitted models.

I must say that I find the Dapol team the most approachable and friendly of the manufacturers at the exhibitions that I have attended and if this is the level of customer service I can expect from Dapol I look forward to buying more products from Dapol In the future.

Mike

I take it everyone approves of the class 22 then?

No comments at all about the cad/cam? finally will we have gotten it right close to the first time of asking? :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just looking at a pic of D6313 http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/Class21-28/Class-22/16807189_jqZ55W#!i=1340678249&k=DhBPTz5&lb=1&s=A The lamp brackets on the CAD image left & right appear to be awfully close to the edge of the front compared with those on D6313. Also what about the red electric tail light low down on the doors, the pic appears to show the outer housing for the light being slightly oval as opposed to the CAD drawing being circular.

Cheers, Mike C

Hi

i bought a model of the nbl class 22 D6331 back in nov when they first came out from Hattons but i had to return it for exchange due to having a noisy gear drive but was refunded because that model had sold out hardly suprising as the model is a little beauty . I have now bought another model this time D6313 this too has a very noisy gear drive and loud motor also i noticed that when loco is inching along it judders . I also have a dilema i have just bought my second attempt at owning this model loco from a seller on the bay stating its new unused .i have tried to contact the seller but no reply luckily its covered via distance trading regs so i will be able get yet another refund , but i would prefer to have the model repaired so that it runs well especially now as i have just purchased a sound decoder for the model any ideas ? or should i give up

Edited by put polly on

Hi Dave,

this is in response to your CAD posts #1192 and #1208 for nose details of locos 6306-6333 as built. [Eyebrow vents ignored].

Apart from the feature above the left hand handrail, you have not added the headcode disc retaining lugs.

These appear to be small spring clips mounted on small blocks (perhaps two inch square). There are enough well produced photos in the recent Western Legacy Class 22 booklet to identify ten of these clips.

The one you have on the CAD is to hold the top discs when the connecting door is open. When the doors are shut, there are clips (arranged around the open disc) at 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock (on the right hand door)

The bottom left disc has three clips, at 11 and 1 o'clock, plus one at 5 o'clock to hold the middle bottom disc when the doors are open (this one must be in line below the top one above the handrail)

The middle bottom disc has clips underneath the bodywork - at 5 and 7 o'clock.

Finally, the bottom right disc has clips above at 11 and 1 o'clock

Please can you move the centre lamp bracket about 1mm to the left. Also the feature below (which appears to be a short piece of L angle) is bolted to the left hand door with two bolts, so should not be in the middle.

Both the centre discs should also be slightly off centre to the left, they are fixed to the left hand door.

There are also two screws, above the inside of teh oval feature, level with the centre lamp bracket (photos of 6306 and 6310 in the booklet suggest there was a location to attach a bracket to support the end of a headboard and keep it horizontal).

The outboard lamp brackets seem to be above the disc hinges.

The outboard discs look a bit low.

The red light on the right hand door - as someone has mentioned, the lamps should be oval. NB it does not sit on a square base with round corners, as the four white lamps do.

What's underneath the discs? :

If you look at one of the locos which has been converted to headcodes, such as 6326/27, the outside lamp mounting plates remain - the oval holes for the lamps have been covered with small oval plates. The vertical rectangle to the right of this is where the disc hinge was attached and the two clip blocks are re-used to form the outer ends of the improvised handrail mounting.

The two top clips, under the nose curve remain - [they seem to be on all locos except rebuilt A end of 6322 and 6357].

Incorporating all this will save hours of work for us perfectionists!

Great that a company is making the effort to do its research properly - thanks!

Paul

To add to above, their are NBL oval lamps mounted on the lamp bracket plates under the discs.

When locos received yellow panels only part of the closed disc was painted yellow to match panel.

A fault carried over from the first release, is the top two circular nose vents are much to low and would improve appearance if corrected. Also can you get the buffer beam hoses corrected, they seemed to of got this backwards on the first batch.

Trevor.

• RMweb Premium

Having had my 22 from Warley and run it for a while I decided to finish off the detailing (brake pipes etc.on the buffer beam) and fine tune the CVs. I have a TCS 21 pin decoder on board. I must congratulate Dapol on what is my finest loco by a country mile, it runs smoother and the control is better than any Hornby or Bachmann loco I have. I could not bring myself to weather the loco as I only saw them pristine. So there is no option but to order another, one of the weathered locos from Kernow. If the 'Western' is as good as this it will be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 7013,

That's very kind of you to say, and i'm glad you like it.

Fingers crossed the Western will raise the bar further.

cheers

Dave

shame i cant give Dapol any praise my latest attempt of buying a class 22 that runs without issues has failed yet again. This time D6319, it wobbles along the track it seems that the wheel sets are oval or theres a flat spot on them . Is there an issue with the quality control at the chinese factory . At £125.00 for a model i expect more and look forward to your views on a solution ?

Edited by put polly on

Hi PPO,

Sounds like your not having much luck, and I apologise for your problems.

Please Pm me your details and I'll see if I can suggest a cure, or organise a tested replacement as its pretty obvious it wasn't tested fully by the factory or your stockist.

Cheers

Dave

Hi PPO,

Sounds like your not having much luck, and I apologise for your problems.

Please Pm me your details and I'll see if I can suggest a cure, or organise a tested replacement as its pretty obvious it wasn't tested fully by the factory or your stockist.

Cheers

Dave

Many thanks for a fast response P M sent

Edited by put polly on