Photo
* * * * - 12 votes

Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings)

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#826 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  • LocationByfleet, an old village of England.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:14

And slowly I've been adding more details this morning. The tricky bit to undertake next is the cornice at mid height that wraps around the round corners (but not the side flank walls):

DSC_5629.JPG

G.
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 5
  • Like x 2

#827 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:53

A little more progress - the roof top coping is now cut and added in place along with the mid-height cornice. But it's slow as there's no rush. There's still the column capitals to make and add, although I'll keep them simple. There's no real need to go over the top with details as this building will be located against the back-scene at the back of the layout. And some of the details, such as the stripy brick/stone effect on the lower floor columns will just be painted on (like I did for those on Aston Webb House).

Roof details will be fairly basic, what I can discern from the pre-war aerial pics, with mostly a flat roof. One issue I'm not sure about is colour - the few photos I have are B&W and the brickwork looks dark so I'm not sure if it is the usual yellow London brick just grubby and stained with smoke or the more traditional red stock. The stonework will be a grey/limestone colour.

DSC_5630.JPG

G.
  • Like x 4
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#828 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:04

Here's a pic of the two recent buildings I've been working on - they will be next to each other as shown. Neither are complete and both are still far from being completed. However, despite there being no rush, they have got to this stage in just a week from the decision to start making the first one.

DSC_5632.JPG

G
  • Like x 7

#829 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 13:30

And from the other (more dramatic?) angle:

DSC_5637.JPG

G.
  • Like x 8

#830 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:51

I've got some colour on Dominion House and fitted the windows in the central section. I think I might need to tweak the colours but without any colour reference photos I'm rather guessing the finished look. The stripes on the columns are correct and hand painted (no masking) but they should pass muster at the back of the layout:

DSC_5655.JPG

G.
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 13
  • Like x 6

#831 sml1983

sml1983

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 21:29

I've got some colour on Dominion House and fitted the windows in the central section. I think I might need to tweak the colours but without any colour reference photos I'm rather guessing the finished look. The stripes on the columns are correct and hand painted (no masking) but they should pass muster at the back of the layout:

attachicon.gifDSC_5655.JPG

G.

Where's the amazing button

• Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#832 grahame

grahame

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:58

Very slow progress I'm afraid, but here's another pic:

DSC_5682.JPG

I'm starting to think about what next to start on (even though I seen incapable of finishing anything).

G.
  • Like x 5
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 3
  • Funny x 1

#833 Mulgabill

Mulgabill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationDursley, Glos

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:01

I just wish

Very slow progress I'm afraid, but here's another pic:

attachicon.gifDSC_5682.JPG

I'm starting to think about what next to start on (even though I seen incapable of finishing anything).

G.

I just wish I was that slow........and that good. Looks excellent to me.

• Agree x 4
  • Thanks x 1