Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

A welcome addition for SR fans but I do hope they do a better job of making it DCC-ready than they did with the M7.  Trouble is, Hornby don't have a 6-pin decoder which is what this model really needs.  Fitting a 6-pin decoder to Bachmann's E4 was a doddle compared to fitting anything to the M7 ....

• RMweb Gold

A welcome addition for SR fans but I do hope they do a better job of making it DCC-ready than they did with the M7.  Trouble is, Hornby don't have a 6-pin decoder which is what this model really needs.  Fitting a 6-pin decoder to Bachmann's E4 was a doddle compared to fitting anything to the M7 ....

They could use their 4-pin decoder as fitted to Sentinels and Pecketts.

And their Adams Radial. I have abandoned all hope of sound conversion.

With this announcement Hornby have made an old man very happy, and possibly somewhat financially poorer in 2017!

I already have three 'H's , all in BR lined black (Two cut & shut from a HD R1 / Airfix 14xx,see attached and one  SE Finecast) so I can certainly find room for  one each  in SE&CR green, SE&CR grey, SR early green, SR late green, and SR black with sunshine letters, plus a few more BR lined black early and late.

A LSWR or SECR push pull set, or even an ex SEC Railmotor PP set to go with it , a-la Allhallows would be' loverly'

LC&DR

post-12023-0-66242900-1474648010_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Couldn't agree more. I'm 47.  I wasn't around in the '50s and '60s.  Blue diseasels score a Zero nostalgia rating with me.  There were 125 years of FASCINATING and COLOURFUL railway history before 1950.  Sorry if that comes as a shock to anyone!!!

(please someone explain this to the RTR industry)

I'm a similar age and totally agree.

I look forward to one being officially announced in Maunsell Olive.

I do hope so. They really dropped the ball by not doing the radial in olive. In the battle of the radials I don't know why they would just let oxford have those sales without a fight. They've duplicated the other liveries.

Hi Guys,

Whilst this is exciting news I must point out that the chimney on the CAD and EP seems wrong...it should taper gently inwards from its seating position on the smokebox and not be parallel all the way up...check the against the images of the prototype on the Hornby site.....someone mentioned the buffers also needed a closer look...these are all details that can be easily rectified now.

I would like to see one of those Midland Railway Johnson 0-4-4T to follow. A couple of these used to work on the Somerset & Dorset and anyone else up for a Q class....those Hornby researchers must have been enticed by the charm of 30541 whilst they were on the Bluebell....

Full marks to Hornby....the H will be a winner with all those livery options....

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't agree more. I'm 47.  I wasn't around in the '50s and '60s.  Blue diseasels score a Zero nostalgia rating with me.  There were 125 years of FASCINATING and COLOURFUL railway history before 1950.  Sorry if that comes as a shock to anyone!!!

Out of the mouth of babes etc...etc....cometh forth sweetness....from nobut a lad. Old head on young shoulders .Hovis commercial next up.

• Like 2

Yep. Grouping and pre-grouping stock would be most welcome. And its just for more "senior" modellers. I'm 31 ;) We're not all into Diesels. So manufacturers would have you believe the railway arrived in 1950! With a few odd prototypes built before by strange companies...

Well said those men!

I, and other 40-Somethings I know, do not remember BR steam, and have no affinity for the period.  But I love steam outline.  It's all history as opposed to memory for me and as for history, well, with wall to wall Mono-Period layouts, its interesting to look at something fresh.  It's a colourful and varied scene, and RTR needs to take off its dirty British Railways googles and look beyond its current horizons.

I would like to see one of those Midland Railway Johnson 0-4-4T to follow.

Ditto.

But only if there is a suitable pre-Grouping era model.

Bachmann have done to Midland designs what Hornby has done to South Western.

They're no bl**dy good for pre-Groupers.   

• RMweb Gold

Yep. Grouping and pre-grouping stock would be most welcome. And its just for more "senior" modellers. I'm 31 ;) We're not all into Diesels. So manufacturers would have you believe the railway arrived in 1950! With a few odd prototypes built before by strange companies...

I think that's not quite correct.Pre war / pre 1948 modellers are well catered for.Recall Hornby's recent Silver A4 releases,Bachmann's Drecctor D11 in GCR livery,Locomotion's L&Y tanks,Ivatt Atlantics in GNR and LNER livery with Stirling Singles to come from Rapido.Now from Hornby we have Claud Hamilton in Apple Green.What more do you want ?

Please define "senior" btw.

• RMweb Gold

Great news only concern is (bearing in mind recent Hornby releases) is the level of difficulty that will be encountered in fitting dcc and sound.

Know it will not happen but one could only live in hope that Hornby would follow in the footsteps of a new entrant to the market and fit a 6-pin decoder in the smokebox/boiler with space enough for the decoder and small sugar cube speaker.....

Keith

The fact that a loco is Southern does not imply it might be seen anywhere from Margate to Padstow, far from it. With its formation from three pre-Grouping Companies, one of which was itself a recent amalgamation, many of the older locos tended to stay on their former patch until ousted by electrification. 

Many years ago I hadn’t quite grasped that and, wanting a Southern 0-6-0, opted for a Wainwright C because it was the most numerous. In all probability, by the time the Southern took over, the brass domes had been replaced by something cheaper. Nevertheless, I allowed myself the fantasy that a devoted Southern crew scraped the paint off the dome and polished up the brass underneath.

post-26289-0-35070300-1474656554.jpg

• Like 4

Great news only concern is (bearing in mind recent Hornby releases) is the level of difficulty that will be encountered in fitting dcc and sound.

Know it will not happen but one could only live in hope that Hornby would follow in the footsteps of a new entrant to the market and fit a 6-pin decoder in the smokebox/boiler with space enough for the decoder and small sugar cube speaker.....

Keith

... and even a stay-alive capacitor.

I wonder if amongst those other pieces of railway history could be the P class 0-6-0T.

Yes, a P would be quite nice. But getting a decoder into something that small...

Here are both Bachmann C class in full and simplified Wainwright liveries next to Hornby,s SECR terrier.

The Bachmann are just a tad darker.

A nice collection :) you could, perhaps spray a varnish to darken the Terrier to make it match a bit better with careful application. That or I guess weathering to hide the tonal difference, of course depends if you like weathered locos.

This is a clearly a welcome choice by Hornby.  I think they will be very successful with this model.

I look forward to one being officially announced in Maunsell Olive. I will no doubt succumb to the temptation when the time comes.

I'm sure they might well have decided which are the most sought after liveries and picked one to put into the first batch and held another for a 2nd batch to prevent a repeat of the 2nd batch BIL/HAL. It at least makes commercial sense, but whether they have that atm...

Whilst this is exciting news I must point out that the chimney on the CAD and EP seems wrong...

A couple of these used to work on the Somerset & Dorset and anyone else up for a Q class..

They might well have been informed of it and corrected the CAD for a future EP sample. Possibly might even have a newer one at Warley, stranger things have happened. I agree too, a Q class would be quite nice to have.

Well said those men!

I, and other 40-Somethings I know, do not remember BR steam, and have no affinity for the period.  But I love steam outline.  It's all history as opposed to memory for me and as for history, well, with wall to wall Mono-Period layouts, its interesting to look at something fresh.  It's a colourful and varied scene, and RTR needs to take off its dirty British Railways googles and look beyond its current horizons.

For me, the history is the primary reason I am interested in railway modelleling. If I weren't I'd not give it a second thought and stick to aviation history/modelling (generally my first interest before trains, though I lack space to build/keep aircraft models these days, trains being generally a bit easier to store).

• Like 1