Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Phil, Phil (that’s almost confusing) has got it correct,

I have spoken with a member of the Hornby team this evening and the 2018 release as R3631 No. 31265 with flat sided bunker and early crest is going ahead.

Hattons must of got slightly confused due to the change in the 2017 programme of early to late crest liveries.

Can anyone advise, What other H classes could 1324 represent (in wartime black if it makes a difference)

Apart from the flat bunker machines and the few with Westinghouse gear ( did any last that long ? ) most were pretty similar .... buffer changes seem to have been a BR phenomenon ............... but don't forget that 1324 is the one that retained Maunsell green into BR days ( Oddly the next number also retained Maunsell livery that late - though Hattons imminent model is of it in earlier guise. ) so is perfectly suited to your chosen period ( and mine ) .......................hopefully a 'Sunshine Black' version will come from China at some time in the future.

.......... in the meantime you could wait for R3631 to arrive and strip off the lining & insignia - any other current BR version would have Pull & Push gear to contend with as well !

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 1

Apart from the flat bunker machines and the few with Westinghouse gear ( did any last that long ? ) most were pretty similar .... buffer changes seem to have been a BR phenomenon ............... but don't forget that 1324 is the one that retained Maunsell green into BR days ( Oddly the next number also retained Maunsell livery that late - though Hattons imminent model is of it in earlier guise. ) so is perfectly suited to your chosen period ( and mine ) .......................hopefully a 'Sunshine Black' version will come from China at some time in the future.

.......... in the meantime you could wait for R3631 to arrive and strip off the lining & insignia - any other current BR version would have Pull & Push gear to contend with as well !

I'm still undecided about it though, I would move numbers, but it might add some variety to leave it in olive.  That being said, I could wait and see if Hornby do another release (or if anyone discounts them!).

Push/pull was a BR fitting then? SEMG tells me 16 of the class were fitted with Westinghouse brakes, can anyone shed some more light for me? (apologies if this has already been covered)

I'm still undecided about it though, I would move numbers, but it might add some variety to leave it in olive.  That being said, I could wait and see if Hornby do another release (or if anyone discounts them!).

Push/pull was a BR fitting then? SEMG tells me 16 of the class were fitted with Westinghouse brakes, can anyone shed some more light for me? (apologies if this has already been covered)

Yes, Westy brakes were fitted early on as there were lots of Westy-fitted LCDR coaches around after the working union ....... as these - and neighbouring Brighton coaches - were scrapped or converted to Vac. brakes the locos lost the appropriate fittings : I THINK the only SECR locos to retain them into BR days were a handful of 'C's.

Yes - and yes, covered earlier in the thread - Pull & Push fittings ( to use the correct Southern terminology ) was only fitted to the 'H' class from 1949 ............. and mention of 1324, mine arrived the other day ( WHAT A STUNNING MODEL in the flesh ! ) and I was looking at details of this machine last night : this was actually the very last 'H' to get P/P gear as late as January 1961 and my guess is that this came off 31266 which was withdrawn the previous August. There's also been talk of the flat-to-sort-of-flare bunker conversion of 31263 in 1959 : 31324 finished life with a similar converted bunker though it was built with a proper flare - so I guess this came off 31266 as well !!?!

If anyone's read through this and is still interested, can I ask whether anyone has a picture of 1324 in Southern days ? : I remember a photo displayed on a Hornby stand at an exhibition a while ago ( Warley 2016 ? ) but I've not come across anything else !

• Like 1

She finally arrived today, no running issues to report, I am in love!

post-29051-0-05757900-1521809732_thumb.jpg

Edit: I feel like livery colours somewhere between the H and E4 would be about spot on... I've not had a SR Green loco from Hornby before, quite a difference in colour in the greens and yellows.

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 7

Lots of heated debates in the Railway Modeller in the 1960s about whether Maunsell green was sage green or olive green or what colour it was. It doesn't worry me although seeing a model of a British Railways Southern Region coach in the wrong shade of green does jar my mind.

I ordered my H class on 8 May 2017 from Rails and I collected it from the Royal Mail depot today. It was well wrapped up because it took me 15 minutes to open the parcel: next time I will take some scissors. I have shown it to some non railway enthusiasts and they thought it was lovely model. I know the coal load comes out because it fell out when a lady picked it up. I have not been able to test it yet but I have one good BR late crest H class and one duff SE&CR one. Hornby have put a new motor in the SE&CR H class and refunded my postage so now that runs well too.

The photographs show it on the drinks table of the Devon Belle observation car at Norden station. If I run it on my Swanage layout and someone says that H class locomotives never ran on the Swanage Railway I can prove that it did.

The Swanage Station shop does not stock Hornby because of delivery problems but another member of the Swanage Railway Project said that everybody gets their models from Kernow, Hattons or Rails anyway.

post-17621-0-15982500-1521819700_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-18434400-1521819746_thumb.jpg

The colours change in different light, here's some comparisons in direct and shady evening sun, I've always thought the E4s were way too dark, the Birdcage carriage seems to be somewhere between the two. The font on the H is definitely not as white as my phone makes it in direct sunlight... The H *is* the same colour as the Maunsells and 2Bil and EX-LSWR carriages, although different intensities of matt and satin finishes make then look slightly different close up.

post-29051-0-55005800-1521821890_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-92654200-1521821913_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-08399400-1521821937_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-43933000-1521821959_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-63468900-1521821978_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-77617000-1521821995_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-90632400-1521822019_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-37667800-1521822137_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-66794200-1521822154_thumb.jpg

Put this post together on my phone, hope it comes out okay

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The colours change in different light, here's some comparisons in direct and shady evening sun, I've always thought the E4s were way too dark, the Birdcage carriage seems to be somewhere between the two. The font on the H is definitely not as white as my phone makes it in direct sunlight... The H *is* the same colour as the Maunsells and 2Bil and EX-LSWR carriages, although different intensities of matt and satin finishes make then look slightly different close up.

My take on the big livery debate, which I have aired before and several others seem to agree with is:-

Bachmann's idea of 'Olive green' has too much blue in it giving it a rather odd look.

Hornby's rendition of 'Olive Green' on the other hand looks right to me in tone and lightness.

The recently released Birdcage coaches from Bachmann are perhaps a bit closer than their previous loco efforts, but are still darker than Hornby's efforts

HOWEVER, when we come to the Lettering.......

.... Bachmann are the ones who have it correct - while the SR may have called it 'primrose', the real think is far more yellow and probably closer to a sunflower in plant yellowness terms.

Hornby's rendition of the lettering is far too pale in tone and lacks vibrancy.

I recall discussing all this with the proprietor of Kernow models and Graham Muz at a Taunton members day suggesting that for the 02 locos being designed, the best combination was to match the Green to Hornby and the yellow lettering from Bachmann. When it arrived from Chnia I was pleased to see that number 207 did indeed seem to have followed this approach - one that I would recommend to others commissioning Maunsell Green liveried locos.

attachicon.gif20180323_160630.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_160729.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_160807.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_161349.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_160910.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_160915.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_160959.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_161029.jpg

attachicon.gif20180323_161055.jpg

Put this post together on my phone, hope it comes out okay

Nice pictures, and a perfect example of why there is little point fussing about precise 'prototypical' shades!

The 'flair' on the spokes of the bogie wheels where they interface the wheel centre/axle is incredable. One of the best I have seen RTR. Bachmann E4 not bad either (and not comparing like with like as E4 spokes do not end up flush with hub).

Question, is the pipework between the driving wheel on the right supposed to point upwards or forwards? The instructions couldn't be less helpful

If you mean the reversing lever? Upwards to the reversing cylinder.

Dscn0031_640.jpg

Edited by bigherb

If you mean the reversing lever? Upwards to the reversing cylinder.

Dscn0031_640.jpg

That's the one cheers! The instructions make it look like it should point downwards but I knew that was wrong, I'm really not very knowledgeable when it comes to knowing what all the pipes and levers are... Now to work out how to get it in that box it slots into Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Premium

After a little bit of a run in I have fitted mine with a decoder and yes it is tight, very tight

I have used a Lenz Silver Mini with wires soldered to an ex R8249 plug.

I made the wires as short as possible (about 25mm) and stuck the decoder on top with a bit of the double sided foam as supplied with Lenz decoders.

Even then it is fractionally too tall, I needed to clamp the loco tightly with the fixing screws to get the body back on properly.

You guys with sound are going to have to be a bit creative to get a decoder and speaker in somewhere!

It runs extremely smoothly and is remarkably quiet.

Just need to profile it for TrainController

Keith

Hornby's rendition of the lettering is far too pale in tone and lacks vibrancy.

Finally managed to find a photo* of 1324 at the right period - when fitted with Maunsell buffers - and this shows that the livery was generally faded but that the numbers, alone, had been cleaned or touched up .......... maybe Hornby have gone for a compromise ? They'd have been criticised whatever they did !

Anyway, it's a stunning little model ( hopefully have some stunning little sisters shortly, too ! ). 

Mike Thorp's stand at Ally Pally

• Like 1