Were GWR 1400s based around London?

Guest nzflyer

I presume the question means "open to passengers as part of the national network today".

Most of the Wallingford branch is open to passengers on selected weekends between Easter and Christmas, and had 14XXs in pre-closure days, but is no longer a part of the national network.

Does anyone have any idea when the last 14xx services from Southall/Staines ran? My guess would be 1963.

5th October 1958 according to the Railway Observer.  I say this because the bubble cars were introduced on 6th October.  However, the 14xx had a shunting duty at West Drayton in between trips with the trailer and there must have been occasions when it was decided to turn out the auto train for an afternoon shift rather than send the 0-4-2T light to perform the shunt.

There is another possibility.  Between November 1959 and April 1960 attempted to turn over the Paddington suburban services to dmu working.  Sadly for the WR the Pressed Steel units, later Class 117, were late in delivery and sets were borrowed from elsewhere, leading to some weird and wonderful formations.  Some imported three-car sets were augmented with a single power car and drive end trailer which must have been plundered from the branch lines.  Their replacements would have included ex-GWR railcars, formerly used on the Staines and Uxbridge branches, and it is by no means impossible that the odd auto working made an appearance.  Not everything is recorded ...

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

1462's trial on the Lyme Regis branch took place in November 1957 (and it did carry a top feed at that time) so the loco was presumably allocated to Exeter for at least the last 5 years of its service. **

Looking at 1443's withdrawal date, it seems possible that 1462's transfer west might have taken place at the same time **. 

The Locoshed books list only 1420 and 1431 as being based at Southall in 1959 and just 1407 by 1960, down from six in 1955.

EDIT: ** BR Database lists 1462 as transferred to Swindon 11/1955 and Exeter 03/1959, so she may have been on-loan at the time of the Lyme Regis trial. The 1959 Ian Allan Locoshed book, ("Allocations checked to 21st January 1959"), shows Swindon, with the 1955/6 edition (checked to 21st May 1955)  still showing Southall, so both entries tally with the website. 1960 edition (checked to 23rd April 1960) has her at Exeter.

John

Post #7 corrected / expanded.

Was the lone 14xx remaining at Southall in 1960 retained solely to perform the West Drayton shunt referred to by Chrisf?

John

Guest nzflyer

I've just bought a cheap old Auto Trailer from Hattons. I'm planning on converting it to 'Thrush' or 'Wren' albeit with a different name. Lot of work needed! Did the 14xx work goods trains around London or was it primarily auto workings? I'm looking at photos at Uxbridge Vine Street and I'm thinking it's a good prototype to model a fictional station on but I can't tell if the goods yard was still in use in the late 1950s. There's a really nice aerial photo of the station circa 1933 but I can't tell if the goods shed and surrounding buildings were still in operation around 1958/1959.

Guest nzflyer

Also looking at signal layout of the station. Did Uxbridge Vine Street possess a signal box? If so what did it look like? I can't find many photos on the web.

Also looking at signal layout of the station. Did Uxbridge Vine Street possess a signal box? If so what did it look like? I can't find many photos on the web.

Yes it did. At least one photo (rear/side view) is on the Disused Stations website.

I've just bought a cheap old Auto Trailer from Hattons. I'm planning on converting it to 'Thrush' or 'Wren' albeit with a different name. Lot of work needed! 

It would be better and much more accurate if you used a Bachmann trailer!  Transfers for the names are on a Modelmaster sheet.

Chris

Guest nzflyer

Sorry I've just done more research. I've found photos of the goods yard and the signal box. Uxbridge Vine Street might not be what I'm wanting. 

Archived