Minerva GWR Pannier Tank - open for advanced orders

81A Oldoak

Excellent, really excellent!

It is difficult to tell the exact colour on the laptop screen - it looks like a heavily weathered green, but the presence of topfeed suggest that you have started out with  black model...?

It started as a BR black version. I was trying to replicate the finish on the real 7788 as seen as Ashchurch in 1961. 

post-13142-0-23102300-1521842707_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It started as a BR black version. I was trying to replicate the finish on the real 7788 as seen as Ashchurch in 1961. 

This loco was a bit of a celebrity in the Gloucester area at the time, as far as I can tell. I've not seen anyone reproduce this in model form before, so well done to you, Chris!

This loco was a bit of a celebrity in the Gloucester area at the time, as far as I can tell. I've not seen anyone reproduce this in model form before, so well done to you, Chris!

Was it GWR paint showing through worn away BR paint, or had it seriously not been repainted since c1947 or whenever?

Was it GWR paint showing through worn away BR paint, or had it seriously not been repainted since c1947 or whenever?

It most likely had not been repainted. There is a photo of 7428 at Aberystwyth in 1964 still wearing "GWR" livery and Frilsham Manor was photographed in 1965 attached to a tender with GWR markings. 

• RMweb Gold

No, I understand that what we are seeing is the original GWR paint finish.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anyone help me, Im going a bit snowblind with numbering my Minerva 'modern' pannier.

I hope to back-date my layout from time to time and thus run steam outline. As my line is based on the exM&SWJR I have been tracking down panniers that ran on that line and that were withdrawn in 1965. The two are not always a perfect match-but as locos were in and out of Swindon and sometimes seen on local lines a bit of modellers' licence is acceptable. Shocking how some were overhauled in 1963/64 then withdrawn in 1965....what a waste, but I digress.

I have two loco numbers that keep cropping up-in books on M&SWJR (and cross referred in various editions of the Pannier Papers) and I wondered-as there are so many of the panniers in many different number ranges-if they would be suitable for my 'modern' Minerva pannier?

The two numbers are 4697 & 3763.

Any comments/help gratefully received.

Kind regards, with thanks,

CME.

Hi,

Can anyone help me, Im going a bit snowblind with numbering my Minerva 'modern' pannier.

I hope to back-date my layout from time to time and thus run steam outline. As my line is based on the exM&SWJR I have been tracking down panniers that ran on that line and that were withdrawn in 1965. The two are not always a perfect match-but as locos were in and out of Swindon and sometimes seen on local lines a bit of modellers' licence is acceptable. Shocking how some were overhauled in 1963/64 then withdrawn in 1965....what a waste, but I digress.

I have two loco numbers that keep cropping up-in books on M&SWJR (and cross referred in various editions of the Pannier Papers) and I wondered-as there are so many of the panniers in many different number ranges-if they would be suitable for my 'modern' Minerva pannier?

The two numbers are 4697 & 3763.

Any comments/help gratefully received.

Kind regards, with thanks,

CME.

Hi CME,

Both are the later 8750 panniers.

Our records show that 4697 went new to Swindon in 1945, then Reading Feb 1956, back to Swindon June 1956, but then Southall 1964, finally being withdrawin from Westbury July 1965.

3763 was new to St Philips Marsh 1937, Weymouth 1948, back to SPM at the end of that year, then Weymouth again for a few years in 1949. She went to Swindon March 1956, Didcot May 62, then Old Oak 1963, finally to Southall in March 65, being withdrawn from there in July of that year.

So the MSWJR is definitely possible, from 1956 to 1962 at least.

Hope this helps

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for that info. Puts my mind at rest and enables.me to order the correct plates.

I have photo evidence of 4697 being on the M&SWJR in 1961 and 3763 in 1956, so it all seems to fit. And AFAIC both locos did serve some time on the line, so it will be nice to number accordingly.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

CME

We are pleased to report that the Minerva riveted 57XX panniers have arrived and we have started shipping advanced orders directly to customers. The riveted 57XXs are the final phase of the Minerva GWR Pannier programme and only a limited number have been produced.

The models have already had rigorous testing in the factory, but, in common with all of other models, undergo more quality inspection here before we send them out. The quality check includes a visual inspection to ensure all  parts are secured and in the right place, a check of the large number of optional extras to ensure completeness, the finish and a check of the packaging. Most importantly, we perform a running test to ensure each model meets Minerva's renowned running qualities. We also test all functions on locos we fit with silent and sound DCC decoders. The checking is done personally by Chris Basten and Chris Klein, the owners of Minerva Model Railways Ltd

This is not quick, as every model must be unpacked and repacked, but is part of the service to ensure that our customers get a top quality model which runs properly straight out of the box. We do this for all mail orders, and at exhibitions where customers can see their model work before taking it away.

Dealing directly with our customers means that we can  respond to any questions and react to any feedback promptly. It is always good to hear from customers and friends about our models, and we welcome suggestions for future products at any time. No promises though...and the purchase of anything by Chris Klein does not offer any clues......

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/

Regards,

Chris K

post-13142-0-33050400-1524153149_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33853500-1524153167_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

We are pleased to report that the Minerva riveted 57XX panniers have arrived and we have started shipping advanced orders directly to customers. The riveted 57XXs are the final phase of the Minerva GWR Pannier programme and only a limited number have been produced.

The models have already had rigorous testing in the factory, but, in common with all of other models, undergo more quality inspection here before we send them out. The quality check includes a visual inspection to ensure all  parts are secured and in the right place, a check of the large number of optional extras to ensure completeness, the finish and a check of the packaging. Most importantly, we perform a running test to ensure each model meets Minerva's renowned running qualities. We also test all functions on locos we fit with silent and sound DCC decoders. The checking is done personally by Chris Basten and Chris Klein, the owners of Minerva Model Railways Ltd

This is not quick, as every model must be unpacked and repacked, but is part of the service to ensure that our customers get a top quality model which runs properly straight out of the box. We do this for all mail orders, and at exhibitions where customers can see their model work before taking it away.

Dealing directly with our customers means that we can  respond to any questions and react to any feedback promptly. It is always good to hear from customers and friends about our models, and we welcome suggestions for future products at any time. No promises though...and the purchase of anything by Chris Klein does not offer any clues......

https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/

Regards,

Chris K

Cool.  What is the estimate for when the DCC/Sound locos are ready to ship?

Mike

Cool.  What is the estimate for when the DCC/Sound locos are ready to ship?

Mike

Mike,

All DC orders have been shipped. We will start the DCC conversions next week and will dispatch them in the order the advanced orders were received. We aim to convert, test and dispatch four to six locos daily. Please bear with us as we never skimp on the quality checking and testing. 

Regards,

Chris

Mike,

All DC orders have been shipped. We will start the DCC conversions next week and will dispatch them in the order the advanced orders were received. We aim to convert, test and dispatch four to six locos daily. Please bear with us as we never skimp on the quality checking and testing. 

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for the info.  I suspect I'm towards the end of the list, as my initial order was for DC, but about a month ago I "upgraded" the order to DCC/Sound.  I'm more than willing to wait.

A new Minerva GWR 57XX with riveted tanks in the final stages of checking and testing before dispatch to a customer. It is fitted with a ZIMO DCC sound decoder loaded with our exclusive Paul Chetter sound project that has been tuned and calibrated for our locos. All advanced orders of DC riveted 57XXs have been dispatched and we are working through the list of DCC fitted engines. In the words of Sir Henry Royce, "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

post-13142-0-98862800-1524579865_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

A new Minerva GWR 57XX with riveted tanks in the final stages of checking and testing before dispatch to a customer. It is fitted with a ZIMO DCC sound decoder loaded with our exclusive Paul Chetter sound project that has been tuned and calibrated for our locos. All advanced orders of DC riveted 57XXs have been dispatched and we are working through the list of DCC fitted engines. In the words of Sir Henry Royce, "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

Very handsome!

Here is a selection of photos showing the six different versions of Minerva's riveted 57XX 0-6-0PT locomotive.  Prices are DC £265, DCC fitted £320, DCC sound fitted £390. Carriage £9 to UK and EU. Details at www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk 

post-13142-0-07479500-1524685156_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-94573000-1524685174_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-45743900-1524685200_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-86722800-1524685223_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-92290200-1524685244_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-09097000-1524685523_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A customer recently asked us to convert a Minerva 57XX 0-6-0PT to 8774, an 8750 high-cab version with riveted tanks. This loco is illustrated on Page 17 of The Pannier Papers No 4. We think 8774 was most likely fitted with riveted tanks donated by a 57XX during a major overhaul. The main clues are the older style of upper steps on the front of the tanks (both types are supplied with the Minerva model) and the circular tank fillers rather than the later rectangular style with circular ends. We also think that all of the riveted panniers were built by external contractors and no 8750s were contracted out. 8774 may therefore be unique.

Here she is on running trials on Cwm Bach before packing and dispatch. Contact  Chris Basten or me if you are interested in commissioning this version.

Regards,

Chris K

post-13142-0-98592800-1525461802_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-36972100-1525461815_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have one of these panniers and they are awesome, really nice model, well done :)

However, I put a Lenz Silver+ chip in it and whilst it ran brilliantly on DCC, it would not go in reverse on analogue.  I thought it may have been a duff chip, so I swapped it for a shiney new Lenz Gold chip.  This is better, but the pannier still won't go in reverse from a standing start under analogue.  It will reverse if its already running forwards.

Not a major issue as it rarely gets used on analogue, but I was curious if this is a chip thing, or a pannier thing?  I have loads of locos with Lenz silver chips in, but this is the first which exhibits this behaviour.  The Minerva Peckett and Ixion HC don't appear to perform like this and are fine under DCC and analogue.