Oxford Rail announce OO gauge 6-wheeled GWR Toad Brake Van

MGR Hooper!

I refer my esteemed colleague to the thread below

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115378-oxford-rail-new-items-announcements-in-00-and-n/&do=findComment&comment=2448609

Though this one is very nice too!

Saw that already, just wanted to have a dedicated thread as this was the only OO gauge model announced. The other being a static piece only and a range of cars. All discussions and updates regarding the GWR 6-wheeled Toad can bbe made here.

• RMweb Gold

The photo of the early brake van has a built in livery trap for Oxford: Those cast iron plates were only used for a short time.

There is also the intriguing question of what colour the plates would be. In the debate about the cut-off point between the red and grey wagon liveries, there is some consensus that brake vans were grey before the wagons. But the colour of the plates is a different matter. Logic says same as body colour, but who knows.

Probably wiser for them to do a post- plates livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The photo of the early brake van has a built in livery trap for Oxford: Those cast iron plates were only used for a short time.

There is also the intriguing question of what colour the plates would be. In the debate about the cut-off point between the red and grey wagon liveries, there is some consensus that brake vans were grey before the wagons. But the colour of the plates is a different matter. Logic says same as body colour, but who knows.

Probably wiser for them to do a post- plates livery.

It's always easier to add features we want rather than remove those we don't and nothing will look more like a metal plate than a metal plate.

John

NIce. 

I think I'll sit back now and wait for the comments about how the boiler is the wrong shape, the planks are the wrong size, the brakes are in the wrong place blah, blah blah

Dean

Edited by rovex

I have a soft spot the mainline dean goods and wasn't really sure about getting an oxford one. Because I'm a southern modeller, not because its the wrong shape blah blah blah. However... Now the 6 wheel toad is on the cards I think one of each will do nicely :) Good to see some more exotic wagons coming through. Nice choice Oxford ;)

• RMweb Gold

NIce. 

I think I'll sit back now and wait for the comments about how the boiler is the wrong shape, the planks are the wrong size, the brakes are in the wrong place blah, blah blah

Dean

Point taken. It is first and foremost nice.

Guest Midland Mole

This Toad is a rather interesting development....it's name vill also go on ze list.

It will complement the 6 wheel MR brake van I am currently knocking together. :)

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice! When were the last of these withdrawn? I look forward to a nice Aberdare to go with it in due course!

'GWR Goods Wagons' says some survived into the 1950s but there don't seem to be any allocations published on the 'net for that decade which leads me to suspect they started to be withdrawn in the '40s (but note I do say 'suspect').

At last, a 20ft brake van with no sheeting over the bottom planks, so loads of potential for conversions to other late 19th and early 20th century vans. Those middle wheels won't last long on any I buy! If they fit plates I hope they'll be easily removable for renumbering. Maybe Oxford are finally producing something that's worth buying, although a 4 wheeler would be better!

It's just a bit annoying that I've got one partly bashed from Airfix and Triang bodies. Do I finish it, or wait?

• RMweb Premium

At last, a 20ft brake van with no sheeting over the bottom planks, so loads of potential for conversions to other late 19th and early 20th century vans. Those middle wheels won't last long on any I buy! If they fit plates I hope they'll be easily removable for renumbering. Maybe Oxford are finally producing something that's worth buying, although a 4 wheeler would be better!

It's just a bit annoying that I've got one partly bashed from Airfix and Triang bodies. Do I finish it, or wait?

I wonder if its possible to swap the body onto another chassis?

If they fit plates I hope they'll be easily removable for renumbering. Maybe Oxford are finally producing something that's worth buying, although a 4 wheeler would be better!

As I read it they are making both versions so it should not be an issue for you.

Khris

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to read this, sitting in the sunshine in Spain :-)

I wonder how long it will be before Bachmann or Hornby offer us shots of their soon to be completed AA series Toad van. Pure speculation, but we have two shutters trucks already.

The six wheel is an interesting choice, one that will be great at Henley.

£12.50 at Hattons, seems a great bargain. (Usual disclaimer applies)

• Like 3