What Alco do you have?

JAMO

By spoil, you must mean give me more than enough.  Keep going!  Not wishing to bore the thread devotees, my love of the D&H happened like this. 1974, trip to NY to see my aunts, then Montreal to see my cousin.  On the way D&H's 'Adirondack' passed Colonie Shops,  Hmmm.... 

Capital Model Railroaders in London, Spanish member Frank turns up with an American couple who rescued him on Amtrak's SF Zephyr (signature on CC doubted - caused by terrible track).  They're in London for Charles and Di's wedding and we spend a couple of days picking vantage points.  Visited them in Albany, son works for D&H at Colonie Shops...!  Toured site, called in the traffic control office, got fixed up with a freight train ride to Binghamton.  Rode in a leased Conrail B23-7, got invited into lead GP38-2, sat in the engineer's seat for a few minutes and blew L-L-S-L for a crossing...  ...  ...  ...sorry - hairs on back of neck moment.

Friendly staff of all types, few years later realised a couple of guys checking in a motel next to me were a D&H crew(!), said hi and after a couple of mins chat was presented with a D&H lantern.  Trouble with being 70 is admitting that not every day is better than the previous one.  Ah well, repairing Atlas C424 tomorrow.

Jason

• Like 4

One of my O scale Alco's - The very hard to find Atlas C424/C425. I'm not sure what happened to the handbrake chain ......  It just needs the numbers and letters removing, to enter service with the Cincinnati Belt & Terminal (tag line: We go round the middle - Not the outside). ......Or could it end up in PC black ?!

Mick.

While we are on the subject, the original owner bought this to repaint into D&H. A year on it's still in Wabash blue ...... but at least it's in service (I'm not sure about the factory QSI sound, lovely horn at least).

post-24507-0-16585400-1508488868_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikjd
  • Like 2

Mick, on the end of the long thin thing (chain carrier in real life?) round the back there should be a v small square metal bit with a hole in the middle. The chain attaches there with a small wire loop thru the chain end.

Dream #149: Atlas C424, Atlas C630 spare part - long hood, Overland Alco ZWT hi-ad tks, Microscale Susquehanna decals = Susie-Q C430. Aaaah, American O-scale

Jason

• Like 2

Here's a Fb snip about the PA book I mentioned earlier.  I used to enjoy getting stuff like this before paying by credit cards or Paypal was commonplace.  Hang on, do you think they don't know there are D&H, etc fans over the horizon?

Jason

post-3631-0-37153700-1508701204.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alcos you say...?

I've just got out of N scale, and used some of the money to start a new version of the Midland Belt shortline, basing it this time on Genesee Valley Transportation, with their known 99% Alco fleet.

The fleet so far consists of:

Switching power - Proto 2000 Alco S1 - currently DC but I've got plenty of decoders to go around.

24937524508_04ab7f0d6f_b.jpg

Road power - Proto 1000 RS-11 - DCC onboard.

24937786178_115ab1d177_b.jpg

Finally, for raw, brute strength, we've got this Bowser C630 - DCC sound. :D

23945497177_cf8a88b314_b.jpg

The shortline also has a couple of GE switchers - one each of 44t and 70t examples, but there's another thread for those... :D

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Currently working on what will become Southern Pacific S4, 1798.  

This is an old Atlas/Roco model, with cast on grabirons etc. I have cut these off, sanded the shell smooth and replaced by separate details where possible. It won't be 100% accurate, but as a 'clubrunner' it will be just fine. 

The unit will receive a Loksound V4 decoder with a sugarcube style speaker.

Here is the shell, after detailing and a first coat of Tamiya primer, to be able to better see any blemishes etc before continuing with the next paint coats. 

post-16101-0-00384700-1513859274_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Not mine, but anyone considering modelling Conrail in the 70s in S Scale might be interested in this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overland-Brass-S-scale-RS11-lehigh-Valley-patch-Conrail/253308068867

I was going to do the fingers in ears, "la la la I'm not listening" thing, but then I looked anyway & saw the HOW much???!!!??? :O ... which helped my resolve no end!! :D

• RMweb Gold

Not mine, but anyone considering modelling Conrail in the 70s in S Scale might be interested in this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overland-Brass-S-scale-RS11-lehigh-Valley-patch-Conrail/253308068867

Oh dear.

I have succumbed to temptation. No idea why, but don’t tell the missus...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These two burly haulers are due a repaint into something suited to switching a cement plant.

Might just rebrand and renumber them and leave the pain scheme intact.

The pain in question being Alco’s propensity to produce clouds of clag?

RSD-12s, I take it?

Very tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

Some very nice models in this thread.

Although my main interest is British 4mm scale, a few years ago I modelled SP in 1/29 scale and scratch built this former Alco RS-11 demonstrator which was taken into SP stock as no. 5722. The running gear and some other parts were taken from an Aristocraft RS-3 and it has an Aristo sound unit fitted. I had a layout "Oakland 3rd Street Yard" which has since been dismantled - it went to several shows but the baseboards were just too bulky.

Photo was taken recently on display at our local show with other mainly scratchbuilt 1/29 stock; first time it has been out of its box in a couple of years.

post-28743-0-92769900-1515224938_thumb.jpg

Hope it is of interest.

Martyn.

• Like 7