DCC Controller with coast and brake

clecklewyke

I'm searching for a DCC equivalent of the Rambler or H&M Walkabout, i.e. a controller which allows you to accelerate a loco with inertia, and when you close the throttle the loco continues to coast at a steady pace until you apply the brakes, on which the loco decelerates until it comes to a stop.

i.e. there are separate regulator and brake controls, mimicking closely the way in which the real thing is controlled.

Can anyone advise of a system which has these, to me, essential features?All the DCC controllers I have seen so far are essentialy simple speed controlers with a bit of inertia but not the facility to coast with a closed regulator or to brake under a separate control, the "brake" being just an emergency stop..

Thanks,

Ian

Ian as far as I know only ZTC have this facility.  Inertia can be applied in various stages.

There are 5 groups. 1-9. 10-29. 30-63. 64-126. 127+ 

1-9 Light inertia, to 127+ Overweight This will coast for fair distance. Close the regulator at this setting you may as well watch TV for awhile.

The ZTC Brake is a bit touchy, but with practice its ok.

I'm searching for a DCC equivalent of the Rambler or H&M Walkabout, i.e. a controller which allows you to accelerate a loco with inertia, and when you close the throttle the loco continues to coast at a steady pace until you apply the brakes, on which the loco decelerates until it comes to a stop.

i.e. there are separate regulator and brake controls, mimicking closely the way in which the real thing is controlled.

Can anyone advise of a system which has these, to me, essential features?All the DCC controllers I have seen so far are essentialy simple speed controlers with a bit of inertia but not the facility to coast with a closed regulator or to brake under a separate control, the "brake" being just an emergency stop..

Thanks,

Ian

Ian,

Yes, ZTC have a brake control and onboard inertia/momentum.

I think there is a Digitrax controller with a brake, too. Inertia needs to be set on the decoder, I think (standard for all decoders are CV3 or CV4).

I agree with your view that models should have brakes as well as an 'accelerator', so I devised a system for this feature to be part of the decoder which ZIMO implemented a couple of years ago. Many people are using it successfully, and would not go back to decoders without onboard brakes. It avoids the need for any special DCC controller.

ZIMO decoders (sound or non-sound*) have a fully programmable progressive Brake Key feature.This can be set to reflect the braking efficiency you require. This is operated from a designated F key (momentary is better than latching, if your DCC controller gives you the choice).

Here's how it works: When running, reduce the throttle/control lever/regulator as a real driver would do. The decoder will provide sustained coasting/very gradual deceleration. (User programmable duration). To slow the loco more quickly, dab the brake key to make small adjustments to speed, or hold it on for controlled 'emergency braking' (not the 'dead stop' of the controller's emergency stop button). You can achieve anything else in between depending on how you operate the brake key.

You can also reduce the speed steps to a given position above zero, then use the brake key. The model will decelerate until it reaches the speed steps selected, whereupon it will continue to coast at the new speed. Sort of like cruise control. LOL.

If the loco is stationary with the brake key engaged, the loco will not move if you open the throttle until the brakes are released. (This too is programmable, so you can stop this part of the effect if you prefer).

It is extremely effective with prototypical dynamics.

This is not a handle or lever as would be the case with controllers having dedicated brakes, but as it is a function of the decoder it can be used on any DCC system anywhere making your brake feature portable.

If you choose a ZIMO sound decoder, you get all that, plus the appropriate sounds to go with it. I.e.operational sounds of the braking system when brake force is applied, and brake squeal just as the loco comes to a complete stop.

I'll be demonstrating this at the Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon this weekend 8th and 9th October, or Spalding in November.

Kind regards,

Paul

EDIT for Correction. *not all non-sound decoders have the feature enabled at this time.

A number of other decoder makers offer similar "brake button" behaviour to that described by Paul above.  It has been a feature of some US decoder maker's lines for over a decade, consequently even the cheapy Bachmann 6-pin "N" decoder (a rebadged Soundtraxx non-sound decoder) can do it.

I think the coast-brake controller is "of its time".  It was a good solution in analogue days, but DCC changes things.      

- Nigel

I think the coast-brake controller is "of its time".  It was a good solution in analogue days, but DCC changes things.      

- Nigel

I don't understand this, Nigel. The real thing has a separate regulator and brake and "coasts and brakes" so why not the model?

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Yes, ZTC have a brake control and onboard inertia/momentum.

I think there is a Digitrax controller with a brake, too. Inertia needs to be set on the decoder, I think (standard for all decoders are CV3 or CV4).

I agree with your view that models should have brakes as well as an 'accelerator', so I devised a system for this feature to be part of the decoder which ZIMO implemented a couple of years ago. Many people are using it successfully, and would not go back to decoders without onboard brakes. It avoids the need for any special DCC controller.

ZIMO decoders (sound or non-sound) have a fully programmable progressive Brake Key feature.This can be set to reflect the braking efficiency you require. This is operated from a designated F key (momentary is better than latching, if your DCC controller gives you the choice).

Here's how it works: When running, reduce the throttle/control lever/regulator as a real driver would do. The decoder will provide sustained coasting/very gradual deceleration. (User programmable duration). To slow the loco more quickly, dab the brake key to make small adjustments to speed, or hold it on for controlled 'emergency braking' (not the 'dead stop' of the controller's emergency stop button). You can achieve anything else in between depending on how you operate the brake key.

You can also reduce the speed steps to a given position above zero, then use the brake key. The model will decelerate until it reaches the speed steps selected, whereupon it will continue to coast at the new speed. Sort of like cruise control. LOL.

If the loco is stationary with the brake key engaged, the loco will not move if you open the throttle until the brakes are released. (This too is programmable, so you can stop this part of the effect if you prefer).

It is extremely effective with prototypical dynamics.

This is not a handle or lever as would be the case with controllers having dedicated brakes, but as it is a function of the decoder it can be used on any DCC system anywhere making your brake feature portable.

If you choose a ZIMO sound decoder, you get all that, plus the appropriate sounds to go with it. I.e.operational sounds of the braking system when brake force is applied, and brake squeal just as the loco comes to a complete stop.

I'll be demonstrating this at the Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon this weekend 8th and 9th October, or Spalding in November.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, any chance of letting those of us who "haven't a clue" know how to do this with our Zimo chipped locos, please? It's been my bug that LSU Loksound steam decoder chipped locos will coast all day on notching back the controller, while Zimo ones start chuffing once the engine reaches controller set speed.

I don't understand this, Nigel. The real thing has a separate regulator and brake and "coasts and brakes" so why not the model?

Ian,    My experience of driving coast&brake controllers (inc. Pentroller, Codar) was that they didn't feel very much like a real regulator and brake system.  

They did offer better control than just a speed knob, but that was it - it wasn't like a real piece of heavy machinery.   Hence my comment.

If driving feel like a coast&brake is important, then either the ZTC, or searching for some exotic things, or software, or build one's own.  
The ZTC is very expensive considering the DCC capabilities offered by other systems for less money, but it does have a fairly unique feel.

The exotics - you might find someone selling the discontinued Uhlenbrock cab unit - looks passably like some diesel loco cab controls.  And there is an American cab which can be made to work with DCC (at some effort from forum comments).

Software - several options for software displays with regulator and brake levers, depends how you rate the realism of software. 
Build ones own - up to skills and resources available (I suspect it may not be "that hard" and fairly cheap with a Raspberry PI, some potentiometers, a quick bit of script hacking into JMRI, and the new Sprog which clips onto a PI).   

- Nigel

Ian

Because this is now a feature of the chip and not the controller.

...The real thing has a separate regulator and brake and "coasts and brakes" so why not the model?

Put in large values in CV's 3 and 4, reflecting the power to weight and brake force to weight ratios, and any DCC controller visually produces these effects. When the loco reaches a known point before a stop or speed restriction, you set the speed step to the appropriate speed, and there is smooth and very extended deceleration. For a stop at a second point you set speed to zero, and it glides to a halt. It's a lot better than most human direct operators can achieve...

Put in large values in CV's 3 and 4, reflecting the power to weight and brake force to weight ratios, and any DCC controller visually produces these effects. When the loco reaches a known point before a stop or speed restriction, you set the speed step to the appropriate speed, and there is smooth and very extended deceleration. For a stop at a second point you set speed to zero, and it glides to a halt. It's a lot better than most human direct operators can achieve...

Though it does give very good running, its not the effect that Ian appears to be seeking. 

If I understand him correctly, he wants to be able to adjust the braking rate as the loco moves - this is what a coast&brake controller offers; an adjustable braking rate.  

The chips which offer the feature outlined by Paul above go part way.  They have two braking rates, one is very long (coast on closed throttle, eventually comes to a halt) and brake (a fixed more rapid deceleration set in advance).     Part way because the braking rate is fixed, not a variable braking force.   

Paul would probably argue that by dabbing the brake key (on a non-latching key as he indicates) that this will effectively give variable braking; a long dab will give harder braking and a sequence of short dabs more gentle braking (as the deceleration alternates between the two rates of deceleration).   This is correct, and I think effective.  But whether it meets the interface requirements Ian outlined, I don't know.

For Jonathan's question: CV284, 285 and 286 control the coasting behaviour under deceleration.  Setting CV284 to 1, and CV285 to 255 will mean "coast" on a speed reduction of 1 step, and coast remains active for 25.5 seconds before chuffing resumes.    Can be very effective and easy to use and has been in Zimo firmware for ages.    The second braking mode button is in CV309 and CV349, older decoders may not have this feature without a firmware update.    Documented in the current English language Zimo manual. 

- Nigel

I think what you are asking for is in the latest V4 Loksound chips. In the US it's known as Full Throttle.

Hear it is being implemented by Legomanbiffo in his Sound projects but you will have to check to see if he has done it for the loco you require.

Dave.

I don't think so.

There has been a recent introduction of a brake feature but it is not as programmable as the ZIMO system.

The other ESU FT features are are all about manipulating sounds separately from the speed steps, the OP did not ask about sound.

BTW, Bif, myself and other UK based sound providers have been achieving this in different ways for years in both Loksound and ZIMO decoders. Goodness me, despite its many constraints, even Hornby TTS diesels can separate speed steps and sounds played. FT is just another way to achieve this.

However, and this is ultimately why it is irrelevant here, FT features work through the sound functions of the decoder, and as such are not available to non-sound ESU decoders. That puts paid to consisting ESU FT sound equipped decoders with ESU non-sound decoders, unless FT is not operated when in consist, which is a bit pants isn't it?

You don't have to wait for anyone if you have a ZIMO. The brake feature can be retro-fitted to any ZIMO sound decoder without changing the sound project already installed. However, as Nigel pointed out earlier, the decoder firmware may need to be updated depending upon the version you already have.

Kind regards,

Paul

If, like me, you want to control the braking yourself and develop a skill with different locos and loads on your layout, and not rely on pre-programming or dabbing a button, then the ZTC is the only game in town. I have had the luck of being able to play with one extensively, but did not have the money (so bought an ACE from GfB which can simulate much of this, even with its simplified hand throttle), but I will shortly have the money and will be buying a ZTC without hesitation. It is direct, feels like driving as opposed to programming and keyboarding, and is the perfect compromise for us Luddites who want to drive as opposed to simulate - you may as well buy a train simulator for that. I don't want to spend most of my time on my layout looking at a screen or keyboard instead of watching my pretend but real, physical entities move around my painstakingly constructed pretend, but real life world in miniature.

A number of other decoder makers offer similar "brake button" behaviour to that described by Paul above.  It has been a feature of some US decoder maker's lines for over a decade, consequently even the cheapy Bachmann 6-pin "N" decoder (a rebadged Soundtraxx non-sound decoder) can do it.

- Nigel

Nigel,

It might have been easier for readers unfamiliar with the Soundtraxx brake to make a comparison with the ZIMO system if you had given a description of how the Soundtraxx operates.

It can provide a 'braking force' to change the deceleration rate from normal CV4 determined rate by using a separate F key. But that's where the similarity ends, in my view.

The brake force is applied in a linear fashion.

Furthermore, the brake can be applied, and the model actually slow down, without reducing the speed steps. There are very few instances where a driver would apply both power and braking force at the same time. That makes it a bit toy-like, since if you release the brake, the loco accelerates again without operator intervention.

Kind regards,

Paul

The chips which offer the feature outlined by Paul above go part way.  They have two braking rates, one is very long (coast on closed throttle, eventually comes to a halt) and brake (a fixed more rapid deceleration set in advance).     Part way because the braking rate is fixed, not a variable braking force.   

Paul would probably argue that by dabbing the brake key (on a non-latching key as he indicates) that this will effectively give variable braking; a long dab will give harder braking and a sequence of short dabs more gentle braking (as the deceleration alternates between the two rates of deceleration).   This is correct, and I think effective.  But whether it meets the interface requirements Ian outlined, I don't know.

- Nigel

Nigel,

You are incorrect in your assumptions about how the ZIMO brake feature works, and is probably why you believe Soundtraxx brakes to be similar.

The ZIMO brake feature is much more than you give credit for in your post.

You are correct in your analysis that there is a brake rate associated with CV4 values, but to then suggest that there is only one other rate is not a true reflection of what is happening.

You speculate that I would argue that dabbing the brakes for different durations gives a variable rate by changing between the two rates you have identified. You are partly correct, in that your on/off rationale would indeed give a continuously variable braking rate, and of course this has a part to play in the ZIMO braking scheme.

This would be analogous to the use of PWM duty cycles to, say, dim an LED.

However, the ZIMO Brake Key feature is not as simple as this would suggest. The Brake Force applied is continuously variable, with time. A graph of the brake force would describe a parabolic curve.

Therefore, the initial part of the brake key application produces hardly any retardation at all. So, a very short 'dab' (or a series of very short dabs) may not even give a noticeable road speed reduction. This will depend upon the Brake force specified in CV349 and the road speed of the model.

Longer dabs will not only replicate the way in which the driver would normally use the brakes, but the longer duration gives more 'bite' to the braking effect.

Increasing the duration of the braking application will provide an exponential increased in the applied brake force.

Finally, (providing the model is moving sufficiently quickly*) with the Brake Key latched or held 'on' until the loco stops, increasing braking force is progressively applied until the maximum force (programmable with CV349) is applied just as the model stops.

This how real brakes work and why my scheme for ZIMO decoders is very different to anything else seen on other decoders to date.

Smooth stopping is best achieved by keeping the brake force in the 'moderate' part of the curve, i.e. by short/medium dabs of the Brake Key.

*If the model is only moving at a moderate speed when the throttle is closed and the brakes are applied, the model may come to a complete halt before maximum braking force is required.

In addition to the above, but only applicable to sound decoders (currently), with my ZIMO sound projects which all have a selectable on the move 'light engine' mode, the brake force is automatically adjusted when Light Engne mode is selected, to reflect the improved responsiveness to the braking force. (light engine will stop more quickly than a heavy train, particularly useful for a long train of unfitted wagons). No additional user input is required for this effect.

To illustrate how 'thought through' this system is, again with sound projects, the brake squeal sound does not play if the model is allowed to coast to a halt, since if the brakes aren't used, there ain't no brake squeal. If the brakes are used, then the brake squeal sound will play.

For all readers, please be aware that new features are added all the time, often requiring a firmware update. Features described here may require the latest version. If you try to add any of these features and they do not work, a firmware update will probably sort that for you. For this reason, it's a good idea to keep your decoder software (separate from any sound project) up to date.

The only way to experience the combined effect of all these nuances is to operate some ZIMO equipped models. I'll be at GETS this weekend with my sound demo stand, so please come along and put my claims to the test. Have a go at driving some of my models, N, 00 or 0 gauge, whatever takes your fancy.

I don't sell anything, so it'll not cost you to find out what you may be missing. LOL.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, any chance of letting those of us who "haven't a clue" know how to do this with our Zimo chipped locos, please? It's been my bug that LSU Loksound steam decoder chipped locos will coast all day on notching back the controller, while Zimo ones start chuffing once the engine reaches controller set speed.

Jonathan.

I think Nigel covered this in his response, but there are two issues conflated here.

The OP is talking about the physical coasting or drifting of the loco. In DCC, this is governed by the value in CV4 which essentially sets the duration required to decelerate from a given speed to zero. This applies equally to sound or non-sound decoders, but, oddly, not necessarily between decoder brands.

Your query, however, seems to be concerned with the sound which plays during deceleration. ESU and ZIMO differ in the approach to this, but the outcomes can be the same.

The usual practice with ESU is to set a threshold comparing the difference between actual speed and speed steps selected. Once that threshold has been reached, the coasting sound samples play until there is a controller input to vary it, an increase in speed steps for instance. The sounds will change according to the parameters of the sound project. There is rather more control over this in the V4.0 software, but the basic idea remains the same in most cases. This gives rise to your typical ESU experience.

The Zimo approach is to set a threshold on the number of speed step reductions required to trigger the coasting sounds. This can be as little as 1 (of 128) which makes it very responsive. The duration for which the sounds play, however, is not infinite, but a timed event which can be specified by CV. The maximum duration for a one speed step reduction is 25 seconds, achieved with CV285 = 255. (CV286 sets the volume of the coasting sound).

In practice, two things to note: firstly, a model loco can move quite a distance in 25 seconds so control inputs are quite likely to be operationally required before the coasting sound changes back to 'cruising' exhaust sounds. Secondly, the duration can be extended to a further 25 seconds with another single speed step reduction, so the model could be made to coast from maximum speed to stationary with gentle use of the throttle control.

In any event, the coasting sound will be changed to exhaust sounds if there is an acceleration request from the throttle, so you can have full control over the way the sounds are played if you know how the decoder interprets your commands.

If the brake key is to be used to slow the model, the regulator should be reduced first, thus instantly reducing the exhaust sounds and playing the coasting sounds. As the decoder detects the continuous deceleration, the coasting sound will be played until the loco stops. This avoids the embarrassingly amaturish 'chuffing to a halt'.

You will find that using 128 speed steps will give finer control over the sounds without inducing dramatic changes in the road speed.

Putting all these variables together in the right proportions for the way you operate and the size and type of layout can give a very satisfying experience.

CV4 = 255 will give maximum 'momentum'. This simulates the tendancy for a heavy train to continue moving for a long time. Great simulation, but very difficult to stop precisely.

Consequently, many people compromise on the CV4 value to give a workable balance between heavy train momentum simulation and having a reasonable measure of control.

The brake key (or brake lever on a suitably equipped DCC controller) allows maximum momentum for prototypical coasting/deceleration whilst bringing a braking force into play to defeat the high momentum a required.

As Ian quite rightly began, the real thing has and accelerator (control lever/regulator) and a brake, why should our models not have both?

There is a way, which I have been explaining to people for years, in which any ZIMO decoder can have a crude (but effective) brake key, even if the decoder software version installed is not recent enough to have the 'polished' version detailed above.

CV124 sets the operating key. Enter the number of the required F key as the value.

CV156 effectively reduces the value of CV4 but only whilst the F key defined in CV124 in engaged. This means that high momentum values in CV4 can be temporarily reduced to 1/4 (use value 2) or even altogether (use value 3).

The way to operate this is similar to the new version, set high value in CV4 for realistic heavy train momentum. When running, close the throttle, then dab the F key designated by CV124. It's a bit crude, there's no fine adjustment, and it's not properly progressive, but works, it's better than nowt and it's for free.

One drawback of this is that it also temporarily reduces CV3 by the same amount, so with the F key engaged, the loco will accelerate like a 10 year old's train set. LOL.

Has that covered what you need to know? 

Kind regards,

Paul

To answer the OPs question , which didn't mention sound at all , is that as far as I know only the ZTC controller emulates the coast and variable brake feature and it does this independent of the decoder fitted as far as I understand .

This has implications for dcc sound as far as I understand as the inertia is controlled by the throttle and not the decoder chip.

The main reason why it's not a general feature is that dcc was never designed to transmit any form of variable brake information. It's can only transmit " speed ". So you ether emulate interia in the decoder or you simulate it in the dcc throttle as in ZTC.

The closest you can get, as a feature that is generally available is a " brake " function key , that can be " dabbed" to simulate the action of the application of brakes. In real life this simulates the action of Westinghouse air brakes, which were fairly " binary " in their operation with the engine driver applying and releasing the air brakes to bring the train to a halt rather then using it as a variable feature.

Part of the limitations of dcc is that is was designed to mimic American model railroad oerstions and that shows up from time to time.

The brake key (or brake lever on a suitably equipped DCC controller) allows maximum momentum for prototypical coasting/deceleration whilst bringing a braking force into play to

You mean it attempts to simulate this, in reality a dcc controller can only control speed.

You mean it attempts to simulate this, in reality a dcc controller can only control speed.

It might be observed that this is not exclusive to DCC: it doesn't matter what scheme of electricity supply is used for a small scale electric motored model, slowly diminishing power input is required to simulate the inertia of the real thing for a 'coasting' simulation, and a variable power reduction rate is required to simulate brake applications ranging from gentle to emergency.

I suppose it depends on whether you want to watch the trains or drive the locos, that influences preferences in control method. I don't 'drive', I watch; never thought very much about what levers the driver was pulling about in the cab when linesiding as a kid, just watched the smooth gliding about of the trains, with their very extended accelerations compared to road vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

Paul and Nigel, thanks for your replies. I'm not with my layout for a few days but will give your suggestions a go. Perhaps this should go in a new thread in the sound section? I may just copy things over to there.

Thank you, I know exactly what I mean.

In a discussion about simulated inertia and momentum, and ways to vary these simulated effects in real time, I do not feel emcumbered with the need to state the blindingly obvious in every sentence.

Your statement that 'in reality a DCC decoder can only control speed' is incorrect in at least two different ways.

Kind regards,

Paul

........in reality a dcc controller can only control speed.

No, it can only transmit commands (and with RailCom, receive data back).

Those commands can be used to control many things.

The decoder (which is by definition the controller in DCC) will vary voltage to the motor, according to the commands it receives from the Command Station and/or according to the parameters set/programmed into the decoders CV's.

As Paul has described, a combination of commands and programmed parameters in the decoder can be used to determine, or simulate the performance of the loco.

The closest you can get, as a feature that is generally available is a " brake " function key , that can be " dabbed" to simulate the action of the application of brakes. In real life this simulates the action of Westinghouse air brakes, which were fairly " binary " in their operation with the engine driver applying and releasing the air brakes to bring the train to a halt rather then using it as a variable feature.

1 You obviously misunderstood my explanation on the ZIMO Brake Key function. It is not an 'all (simulated) brake force on or all off' binary system. ZIMO's is a significant departure from all previous attempts at brake simulation.

2 Decoder manufacturers realise that there are other sources of locomotive power than steam, so their systems have to be suitable for all.

3 The very act of applying, releasing and re-applying brakes in real locos is a manual version of adjusting the duty cycle to create some intermediary effect. If your 'binary' analysis of the operation of Westinghouse brakes is correct, the driver is simulating a variable brake force by intermittant application of a fixed force. Life imitating art?

Kind regards,

Paul

Well, I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest, here, much of which I don't understand and will never want to understand.

Three things seem to me to be relevant:

1) I am interested in the interface between my hands and the device I am using to impart commands to the train, so whether or not that device is the controller or the decoder does not really interest me. Life is rapidly getting too short for such niceties to be learnt - I just want it to work!

2) if I read the discussion of the Zimo brake function correctly once you have embarked on braking the train one is only able then to increase the level of braking, whereas in real life one would usually make a gentle application of the brakes to check the speed then release them, allowing the train to coast before making a final brake application to stop the train

3) I did not mention sound because I recognise that this is another can of worms or hornet's nest or what have you. I'm mostly interested in steam trains so I definitely do not want them to chuff unless I open the regulator to allow steam in, whereas many systems seem to  start chuffing of their own accord when they decelerate to a certain speed. It seems t me that when you have a system which allows acceleration, coasting and braking as three separate states then it should be straightforward to create the appropriate sounds for each of these states?

I'm sorry if this issue has been addressed above but after the third reference to a cv I'm afraid my on-board decoder tends to switch off...

Ian (Confused of Askrigg)

Archived