Worst model locomotive.

Robin Brasher

I thought that bottom-end tin toys were excluded, but if they're not, then how about this Bulleid Pacific? I think it is Chad Valley.

They really are in a different class though, and certainly never aimed at The Modeller.

K

She is in fact made by Mettoy. I thought that possibly it was the wrong tender (slightly different colour), but apparently not.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vam.ac.uk%2Fmoc%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F02%2F2011EW4292_e9e81ff11567fcd7dbfb1cb48e30594e.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vam.ac.uk%2Fmoc%2Ftoy-manufacturers%2Fmettoy-company-plc%2F&docid=qs6m3oRwNfu8mM&tbnid=BoIeDq7MhCQzZM%3A&w=336&h=500&client=firefox-b&bih=668&biw=1304&ved=0ahUKEwjAva_czMrPAhWFOsAKHW29BKcQMwh3KE8wTw&iact=mrc&uact=8

The give away is the couplings - Mettoy used a tab and slot affair (similar to the Trackmaster coupling, but the other way up) and Chad Valley a single link version of the real thing.

I still don't think you can beat Woolie's effort. The thing was only recognisable as a Britannia because it had the name on it. (and only recognisable as a locomotive because it had flanged wheels). Today it's the sort of thing one would expect to find in a pound shop and in real terms that was about it's price.

I saw one at a toy fair some time ago. The optimistic stallholder wanted around £20 for it! I have a small tender four wheel tender in the same red colour. I seem to recall that  when purchased elsewhere, a tender was supplied with it at, but it cost twice as much.

EDIT

Finally found a picture! They're quite rare now, as construction quality left something to be desired. I've found the tender too I'll post a link later.

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/401182058313_/Vintage-Wells-Brimtoy-Tinplate-Clockwork-O-Gauge-Britannia.jpg

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I like the comment in the sales blurb, "Clockwork motor does work but not very powerfull" (sic).

This is not surprising as, from what I recall, the mechanism is small and puny. It would probably just be sufficent to move itself plus the tender and a couple of those coaches. The sharp ( about 6 inches apparently) radius wouln't help.

I have to confess to wanting one (for nostalgic reasons...).

Missed this one (picture of the 'works').

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wells-Brimtoy-Tinplate-Clockwork-O-Gauge-Britannia-Train-/401188141638?nma=true&si=h89g32OpWmpniyH8sG4uI8fxzw0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Concerning the mains powered trains, I was wondering how the controller worked, considering that the resistance of a lamp bulb is low when it is cold (they can be used as overload protection (the Dublo Marshall III controller for example). From the Märklin link, I was able to discover that they required a carbon filament bulb which is relatively slow to illuminate and has a high cold resistance and low when hot - problem solved.

(Google translate is improving. It still struggles with German, but at least it's intelligible. ('Kohle' translates as 'carbon' as well as 'coal' for instance.)

I want one of these!

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.alte-spur-0.de/maerklin/lokomotiven/v_13020_maerklin_elektrolok_starkstrom_2_achsig_gruen_2_lampen&prev=search

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=de&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlefadenlampe&usg=ALkJrhimFL5lLA2hOtRMYnwQXYhbNC7btg

Edited by Il Grifone

Concerning the mains powered trains, I was wondering how the controller worked, considering that the resistance of a lamp bulb is low when it is cold (they can be used as overload protection (the Dublo Marshall III controller for example). From the Märklin link, I was able to discover that they required a carbon filament bulb which is relatively slow to illuminate and has a high cold resistance and low when hot - problem solved.

I use normal 60W bulbs as can be seen here: 

https://youtu.be/NEr-9xrJDMw

Regards

Fred

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

I see your SD45 and raise you a Jouef Class 40. Very squashed looking and 2 powered axles out of eight...

But still leagues ahead of the Dublo Deltic, which had no dimension in common with it's prototype.

• RMweb Gold

As a contender, the original Dapol 150/2 I always considered to be a bit of a modern marvel enigma... £50 it was too at the time.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/227479/Dapol_David_Boyle_era_1984_1997_D82_SAS_Class_150_sprinter_2_car_DMU_in_original_Provincial_grey_blue_livery_Pre_owned_/StockDetail.aspx

If I remember correctly, it had 155 cabs, that didn't quite match the body profile, and the chassis was glued into the body, meaning if the glazing came out it was never going back..unless you didn't want to use it as a train anymore. The motor bogie was a bit of a independent affair, with no pickups to other bogies, indeed the other bogies had a tendency of not fitting in the chassis at all, not much weight and the bar for QA of the paint finished article i felt was set quite low.

The 155 was a marginally better.. it had a 155 cab after all, and a box that was big enough for it to fit in.

by comparison one could buy a 3 car Hornby 110 or a 2 car 142 (with pickups between cars by this point) for £30 at the time, or a Lima 156 for £40.

Edited by adb968008

But still leagues ahead of the Dublo Deltic, which had no dimension in common with it's prototype.

The problem with the Dublo deltic was that Meccano had the drawings from English Electric but the production machine for BR was a different body shape by which time,it was too late for Meccano to alter the tools.

A near miss is the best way to put it.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

The plunger pickups on the Airfix 14xx are by themselves enough to elevate an otherwise innocuous model to this august group, I reckon.

Why?

The ones on my two 14XX work fine. (just don't let them get gunged up)

Having such a large motor so far back however....

Keith

The mains controllers were indeed pretty lethal, but it was common in plenty of other goods that connected to live mains via cable to be able to be plugged in, switched off and still be in contact with live via the neutral wire, mainly due to consumers wiring to lighting circuits via lamp adaptors that are non polarised. The US had little problem, as the lamps were Edison screw, and could not be reversed if used as a power source. But British lamps could be reversed, and therefore the adaptor reversed!!

I have a very nice condition Zeiss Ikon 16mm projector, produced in the 1930's that once had swastika badges on it, removed by old owner at some point, that ran on 110VAC, via a dedicated step down Zeiss transformer. It was used at the time as a back up projector in the photographic shop, and had a note attached to it to the effect that some people had complained of slight shocks coming from the various control knobs.

One look showed the auto transformer supplied neutral straight through to the projector chassis etc, no switch, the on/off switch was in the live line. Now all should have been OK, as it was wired to a three pin correctly, but the Germans had so thoughtfully added a non polarised 4 way connector to send the 110 VAC from the transformer to the projector. Plug it in in reverse and you got not just 110VAC electrocuting you, but full mains, even with the switch off.

No wonder they got comments it randomly seemed to give shocks, anyway I declared it un-usable, and bought it for scrap, needless to say it has a polarised plug now and works fine!!! The plate on the bottom off the machine declares it to be the property of the Luftwaffe, so not only did the Nazis hate the whole world, but they had it in for the Luftwaffe as well.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

The plunger pickups on the Airfix 14xx are by themselves enough to elevate an otherwise innocuous model to this august group, I reckon.

Considering that it was possibly the most accurate RTR locomotive available at the time I think that's a little bit harsh. Some may have had a few problems with the mechanism, but many had no problems whatsoever. Mine still works perfectly over 35 years later. Bought in 1979 and used all the time until about 1985 when it was relegated to storage with all my other models. Resurrected in 1999.

When/if it deteriorates then it'll get a Comet or High Level chassis.

Jason

On worst loco, my vote is the Acro 262 GWR tank, with rivets, loads of rivets, unusually large rivets, all over the side tanks of the cast metal body...see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15563-mystery-locomotive-challenge/

Looks like Oxford Rail have been following this example with the Dean Goods smokebox. :jester: 

Jason

Ray, the drawings were immaterial regarding which ever Deltic set they had as both the original and production ones were the same length so Mecanno just made it short to possibly have less overhang on the curves. Don't forget Dublo's track centres were closer to scale than Tri-ang etc.

Rearding my Airfix 0-4-2 I have had no problems with mine since it came out. It is 3-railed and runs nicely on either Dublo or Peco track.

Ray, the drawings were immaterial regarding which ever Deltic set they had as both the original and production ones were the same length so Mecanno just made it short to possibly have less overhang on the curves. Don't forget Dublo's track centres were closer to scale than Tri-ang etc.

Rearding my Airfix 0-4-2 I have had no problems with mine since it came out. It is 3-railed and runs nicely on either Dublo or Peco track.

Nope, production Deltics were longer than the prototype. That is why the too short lima chassis happens to be almost a perfect fit for anyone wanting a cheap way to motorise the Airfix prototype kit, albeit with the wrong bogies. However the point is moot since the Dublo model is much shorter than either of them.

• Like 1

On worst loco, my vote is the Acro 262 GWR tank, with rivets, loads of rivets, unusually large rivets, all over the side tanks of the cast metal body...see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15563-mystery-locomotive-challenge/

Granted the rivets are a bit overscale* (at the time you were lucky to get rivets at all!), but it's quite accurate otherwise. At least they didn't stretch the height by 2mm to get the motor in like Lima did with theirs. Mine looks passable in black on a Lima chassis - no motor as yet, though the problem is actually the thick plastic that holds it in place. She would probably clean up with some (a lot of) work but I'm keeping her as a collectible.

* OK make that 'vastly'!  :)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Nope, production Deltics were longer than the prototype. That is why the too short lima chassis happens to be almost a perfect fit for anyone wanting a cheap way to motorise the Airfix prototype kit, albeit with the wrong bogies. However the point is moot since the Dublo model is much shorter than either of them.

That was Dublo's way of dealing with sharper (much) than scale track radii. Their coaches suffered from the same thing. Lima's excuse was switching scales half way through the design stage. Hence the H0 scale bogies with tiny wheels - they fit the Dublo body quite well.

The pickups of my Airfix 14xx still function (OK she hasn't had a lot of use). The problem is the plastic drive gear, which strips its teeth at the least provocation.

We seem to have all forgotten the Trix Compound, Hunt and Schools. All of these can really only be identified by their number and being 4-4-0s. We can pass over the DRG 01 pacific pretending to be American....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I thought that bottom-end tin toys were excluded, but if they're not, then how about this Bulleid Pacific? I think it is Chad Valley.

They really are in a different class though, and certainly never aimed at The Modeller.

K

That loco's got more wheels than my O gauge A4 pacific Silver Link. That has got an 0-4-0 3-rail electric mechanism, (and a key hole in the side, presumably a clockwork version was also produced) It does have an 8 wheel tender though, two 4-wheel inside frame bogies, even though it has holes for two axles in the tender side frames. It originally belonged to my aunt and uncle and apparently it was produced as a "souvenir" when the LNER introduced the full-size Silver Link. There's no indication of the manufacturer. It had two carriages with it when new but they had disappeared, as had the cab roof and the chimney, before it came into my possession around 50 years ago. I recall it ran, after a fashion, at first but my Dad threw the controller out when it started putting mains voltage through the handle on the front. He regretted it afterwards as we then had nothing to tell us what voltage it was supposed to run on. There was an oval of track and two turnouts. They had red boxes on the sides with lights to show which way they were set. I bet the whole set was quite expensive when it was new.