#151 Tony Teague

Tony Teague

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationNorthamptonshire

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:42

And so to the letter "D"....

First up is No.1577, a Wainwright ex-SECR D class loco in lined olive from an SE Finecast kit:

SJPP417000202180417.jpg

Which is followed closely by examples from two very different D1 classes - the first being a Maunsell ex-SECR D1 4-4-0, no.1492 from a DJH kit:

SJPP417000402180417.jpg

whilst the second is a Stroudley ex-LB&SCR D1 0-6-0T tank loco from an SE Finecast kit:

SJPP417000302180417.jpg

Following these are two examples of the Drummond ex-LSWR D15; the first is no.472 from a PDK kit:

SJPP318001702180318.jpg

whilst the second is the recently released RTR model by OO Works, no.463:

SJPP318001602180318.jpg

I have recently written a review of this model form Graham Muspratt but I am not sure whether he has yet published it.

Finally, to complete the letter "D", we have an ex-LB&SCR Billinton D3, no.2367 from a Chivers Finelines kit:

SJPP417000102180417.jpg

I am a great fan of the Brighton tanks, of which the D1 and D3 above are great examples.

All of the kit-built locos above, i.e. excepting the OO Works D15 were built and painted for me by Chris Phillips.

Now before someone points it out, there was just one D3X loco, of which I do not have a model, however, my understanding is that the boiler was just 3" larger in diameter - so less than 1mm in OO scale, i.e. invisible to most. On this basis it is not on my missing models list, unless of course, someone wants to tell me that there was some other, and more striking difference that makes it worthy of modelling!

Tony

[Edited to correct the omission of the name of the loco builder!]

Edited by Tony Teague, 18 April 2018 - 07:30 .

• Like x 7
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 4

#152 Jack P

Jack P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:42

Tony, 

Far too much 'Olive Drab' for my liking  :no:

That SECR D is gorgeous! (as is the real thing in lined SECR livery), I too am a big fan of the Brighton tanks, Chris P is a very talented builder. My next comment may be of unpopular opinion, but I think I like the PDK D15 more than the OO works version, which seems to have, a moulded smokebox dart, and no rivets, lining missing from the cab front, tender recess, and none from the footplate sides down. The wheels also appear to be black, although maybe that's just me not looking hard enough. 

That being said, it is by no means 'Bad', and no one else has produced a D15, so I must comment them for doing that (along with the L1). 

Looking forward to the E's!

• Thanks x 1

#153 Denbridge

Denbridge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 13:33

Tony, 

Far too much 'Olive Drab' for my liking  :no:

That SECR D is gorgeous! (as is the real thing in lined SECR livery), I too am a big fan of the Brighton tanks, Chris P is a very talented builder. My next comment may be of unpopular opinion, but I think I like the PDK D15 more than the OO works version, which seems to have, a moulded smokebox dart, and no rivets, lining missing from the cab front, tender recess, and none from the footplate sides down. The wheels also appear to be black, although maybe that's just me not looking hard enough. 

That being said, it is by no means 'Bad', and no one else has produced a D15, so I must comment them for doing that (along with the L1). 

Looking forward to the E's!

i must admit, i tend to agree regarding oo works models. They often appear pretty basic. Especially if one regards how much they cost.
  • Thanks x 1

#154 Tony Teague

Tony Teague

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 17:26

Since I posted the "D's" Graham Muspratt has published my review of the OO Works model which I think reflects what you guys are saying in many ways; it is at:

https://grahammuz.com/

Tony

• Like x 2

#155 chris45lsw

chris45lsw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 21:42

And so to the letter "D"....

First up is No.1577, a Wainwright ex-SECR D class loco in lined olive from an SE Finecast kit:

attachicon.gifSJPP417000202180417.jpg

Which is followed closely by examples from two very different D1 classes - the first being a Maunsell ex-SECR D1 4-4-0, no.1492 from a DJH kit:

attachicon.gifSJPP417000402180417.jpg

whilst the second is a Stroudley ex-LB&SCR D1 0-6-0T tank loco from an SE Finecast kit:

attachicon.gifSJPP417000302180417.jpg

Following these are two examples of the Drummond ex-LSWR D15; the first is no.472 from a PDK kit:

attachicon.gifSJPP318001702180318.jpg

whilst the second is the recently released RTR model by OO Works, no.463:

attachicon.gifSJPP318001602180318.jpg

I have recently written a review of this model form Graham Muspratt but I am not sure whether he has yet published it.

Finally, to complete the letter "D", we have an ex-LB&SCR Billinton D3, no.2367 from a Chivers Finelines kit:

attachicon.gifSJPP417000102180417.jpg

I am a great fan of the Brighton tanks, of which the D1 and D3 above are great examples.

All of the kit-built locos above, i.e. excepting the OO Works D15 were built and painted for me by Chris Phillips.

Now before someone points it out, there was just one D3X loco, of which I do not have a model, however, my understanding is that the boiler was just 3" larger in diameter - so less than 1mm in OO scale, i.e. invisible to most. On this basis it is not on my missing models list, unless of course, someone wants to tell me that there was some other, and more striking difference that makes it worthy of modelling!

Tony

[Edited to correct the omission of the name of the loco builder!]

I think the two D3Xs (2396 withdrawn 1937 & 2397 withdrawn 1948) did look quite distinctive. Yes the boiler was only 3" 'fatter' but it was pitched 7.75" higher and had a longer circular smokebox  on a saddle.  The cab was also raised 8.5" and the dome and chimney were shorter.  Still there was only one in 1947 and where are you going to get a model! :-)  

Chris KT

• Thanks x 1

#156 Tony Teague

Tony Teague

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:26

I think the two D3Xs (2396 withdrawn 1937 & 2397 withdrawn 1948) did look quite distinctive. Yes the boiler was only 3" 'fatter' but it was pitched 7.75" higher and had a longer circular smokebox  on a saddle.  The cab was also raised 8.5" and the dome and chimney were shorter.  Still there was only one in 1947 and where are you going to get a model! :-)  

Chris KT

Chris

OK I give in! :o

Here is the updated "missing" loco list from A to D:

SECR Wainwright B1

LB&SCR Billinton B4X

LB&SCR Marsh C3

LSWR Drummond C14

LB&SCR Marsh D3X

As you say, where I am going to get one of these from, I have no idea! :scratchhead:

(Answers on a postcard please).

Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Southern Railway, OO gauge, SR locos