Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

I notice Dapol's Jinty is £170-odd quid today. With the price of RTR 0 gauge continuing to head down grade, I wonder if this will put a block on 00 gauge prices heading upgrade.....Or is the Jinty perhaps the equivalent of the 08 shunter bubble?

That Ivatt Black Five looks tidy Jintyman. I noticed it while at yours' the other weekend. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The little 'Blue Circle' Class 05 has had some extra pipework fitted to the buffer beam to facilitate its shunting of VAA's, VGA's and Cargowagens. 

There are two pipes that come down the front of the buffer beam and curl underneath to go to the air tanks under the valences.

I've also received the Modelu seated man/driver and he's progressing through the paint shop at the moment.

Here is a quick snap of the Yellow Peril this evening.

post-14906-0-41878300-1514321687_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone............................................... ;)

The little 'Blue Circle' 05 has now got an identity and a pair of works plates. The sound decoder will be here this week and the driver is progressing through the paint shop.
Once the sound decoder and speaker have been fitted as well as the driver, it will come under the weathering brushes!!! 1f609.png

post-14906-0-08715900-1515269290_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-07732400-1515269300_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

Here are a couple of VAA's which I'd lost the photos to.

I eventually found them in a completely different file on my computer than they should of been. All I can think is that someone saved pictures into a different file and I'd mistakenly not changed it!!!!

Anyway here they are, two Heljan VAA's, 200042 & 200631, photographed on my plank. 

I've altered them here and there, showing a repaired and primered bottom half to one of the doors, Hazchem patches after removal, Carlisle logos, replacement bearing cap, etc, etc.

I've tried to individualise these wagons as much as I can, being random about the staining and streaking, etc. The excellent Railtec transfers used on both vans, usual disclaimer.

Sorry about the excessive photos................

post-14906-0-58902200-1515937055_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-01587400-1515937066_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-36675100-1515937076_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-23088200-1515937085_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-52044300-1515937094_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-76443600-1515937103_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-72282100-1515937113_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Now one of them along with a few other wagons would make a great little speed link train behind a RFD 37!!

I'll see if I can pose them behind a '37' for you Steve when they arrive :)

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now one of them along with a few other wagons would make a great little speed link train behind a RFD 37!!

Think this was what you wanted to see Steve .... sorry for the lack of realism and scenics!  Hopefully I'll actually be able to make a start on getting some track down on the layout in the coming weeks.  Put a load of shots on my thread Marsh Lane Workbench if anyone wants to look at others.

post-16721-0-07110900-1516460663_thumb.jpg

The one thing that post does show which I hadn't actually realised, is that the board on that bit of the loft isn't level!!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

Here are a couple of VAA's which I'd lost the photos to.

I eventually found them in a completely different file on my computer than they should of been. All I can think is that someone saved pictures into a different file and I'd mistakenly not changed it!!!!

Anyway here they are, two Heljan VAA's, 200042 & 200631, photographed on my plank. 

I've altered them here and there, showing a repaired and primered bottom half to one of the doors, Hazchem patches after removal, Carlisle logos, replacement bearing cap, etc, etc.

I've tried to individualise these wagons as much as I can, being random about the staining and streaking, etc. The excellent Railtec transfers used on both vans, usual disclaimer.

Sorry about the excessive photos................

attachicon.gifWB 221.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 222.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 223.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 224.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 225.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 226.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 227.jpg

Jinty ;)

Superb as always... the attention to detail is very impressive. Have you ever tried your hand at pre-grouping?! Id like to see it if you have!!

Superb as always... the attention to detail is very impressive. Have you ever tried your hand at pre-grouping?! Id like to see it if you have!!

Hi Tricky,

Thank you.

I haven't done anything pre-grouping at all.

To be perfectly honest, I feel that pre-grouping would be rather difficult in that there were not that many colour photographs (if any) and the railway companies tended to look after their motive power and stock and not let it demise into the rusty carcasses we saw with the end of steam.

I would expect simple road dirt from a few days of service before the cleaners got their hands on the locos. Coaches were more 'looked after' as well, but not sure of freight stock.

I wouldn't mind having a go at something though.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

No, agreed; not many colour photos around in 1907 for me to go by! But weathering of a steam loco in service is the same, ie blistering paint on the smoke box, build up of grime around rivets and in corners where the cleaner’s cloth didn’t reach, and so on. Besides, if there’s no colour photos to compare, who’s to say it’s wrong?! Goods wagons of all sorts where left to gather grime and very quickly too after entering traffic. No Clean Air Act then, and lots of sulphurous coal fire fumes!

Of course, you’re right, locos where generally much better looked after but some photos do show that not all were kept in pristine condition by any means. I’m quite sure (if you ever fancied it) a man if your talents would be able to pull it off very convincingly!

• Like 2

No, agreed; not many colour photos around in 1907 for me to go by! But weathering of a steam loco in service is the same, ie blistering paint on the smoke box, build up of grime around rivets and in corners where the cleaner’s cloth didn’t reach, and so on. Besides, if there’s no colour photos to compare, who’s to say it’s wrong?! Goods wagons of all sorts where left to gather grime and very quickly too after entering traffic. No Clean Air Act then, and lots of sulphurous coal fire fumes!

Of course, you’re right, locos where generally much better looked after but some photos do show that not all were kept in pristine condition by any means. I’m quite sure (if you ever fancied it) a man if your talents would be able to pull it off very convincingly!

You caused me to pick up my Midland engines books (Vol 1 - 4) and have a look through, and it is as you say, the state of some of the goods stock in the background is utterly filthy, as are a few of the locomotives that were not the subject of the photographers lens. The railways were certainly a dirty place and I think some of the pre-determined views of the Midland, LNWR and GWR (Just for example) being shiny and immaculate looking were a little optimistic, and more in keeping with company rivalry and propaganda.

You never know, I might get hold of something pre-grouping one day. I've seen some of the beautiful locos and coaches that have recently come off Warren Haywoods WB lately, and they certainly are delicious looking models with all their intricate lining, makes me want to build a Western City, Midland Spinner or Compound, even though I've no use for any of them.  ;)

Keep up your stunning layout building, the latest one is brilliant, and I can't wait to see it come to life with all the fine detail and work you put into the quayside area.

Today is an exercise in finishing up a 4F with a touch of weathering and a video to test its sound file and to fit the sound and weather the class 05 ready for next weekend.

Jinty ;)

Edited to say:  I used to work near you, at the now shut and dissused Leybourne Grange Hospital in West Malling, probably about 20 miles from TW if I remember rightly!!!

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

Just found Warrens thread....fantastic quality I can only dream of ...last post Sept ‘16 though - where has he been lately?!

Yep, West Malling a lot closer than N Wales..! Shame.

He's been posting more on FB, which is where I've seen his latest posts    

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1837021469921885&set=pcb.944827508999216&type=3&theater

Jinty ;)

Good evening all.

After a good few hours in the garage today, heater on, and a determined goal, I managed two and a half of the three goals I set myself!!!!

I took the little Heljan 05 diesel shunter to bits to fit the driver and decoder. The decoder from Howes. Now all went well, but the speaker supplied was a 23mm round speaker and enclosure, and the speaker hole on the 05 is 20mm in diameter!!! 

Howes supply Heljan and Heljan spares, surely they should know which sized speaker is required to fit into the 05!!!

I've ordered a Zimo super cube speaker that will fit in the hole and should give a far better sound than the ESU 19mm round speaker, so I reckon it will sound much better anyway, just delayed my testing and weathering!!!

The pipe runs for the air tanks have been finished on the rear buffer beam and the driver has been added. I think I made a better job of painting him this time, as I was advised that small figures such as 1/43 can look ok without eyes painted, just some facial highlights, which I've given him.

Here are a couple of pictures:  

Here is the outside buffer beam pipework on the rear of the loco, it passes through the buffer beam like the vacuum pipe:

post-14906-0-11538200-1516566553_thumb.jpg

Here is the pipework returning to the footplate on the inside:

post-14906-0-46392100-1516566562_thumb.jpg

And here is the driver seated at the controls:

post-14906-0-97600100-1516566574_thumb.jpg

The next item for today was the weathering of Rod's 4F (Ramchester). 

I have already fitted it with DCC sound and it works really well. The locomotive has been built, painted and transferes by someone else. The builder has used the American type of pick-ups where the loco chassis picks up from one side and the tender picks up from the other, with an insulated drawbar in between. I have taken the initiative to glue some 0.010" plastikard strips along any edges where the loco and tender can touch and I have also glued another 0.010" strip under the fall plate as that was brass too, and I didn't want to rely on just a layer of paint keeping the electrical isolation where it should be.

Anyway, I finished the weathering today and I've also done a video, but the video will not be up till tomorrow evening as I've been summoned to domestic duties!!!

Here are some pictures of 44360 on my photo plank.

post-14906-0-90171800-1516567043_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-06586400-1516567052_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-19987300-1516567060_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-92457100-1516567070_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-30879100-1516567079_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-12086900-1516567091_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-26692400-1516567100_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-10166600-1516567110_thumb.jpg

It will be winging its way back home at the beginning of this coming week.

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

Superb work on the 4F Jints, I had a Bachmann Brasworks 4F and weathered it myself and was really pleased with the result. It now belongs to a fellow Club Member and each time I see it at the Club I think........................................................... :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Nice work on the Yellow Peril too mate, especially the Driver, stunning job.