Revolution Trains proposes Class 92 in N

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I left off the DCC sound options - now sorted.

If anyone has already placed an order you can add DCC sound at any point by purchaing the DCC sound upgrade: https://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/dcc-sound/ - that won't work if you want to use the payment plan.  If you would like to upgrade a payment plan 92 order to DCC sound then please email me and I will refund your original order so you can place a new order.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just tried ordering and it says product unavailable on all the class 92 versions. Am I doing something wrong??

Best regards,

Jeremy

Working fine for me? Have to now select DC or DCC Sound from the drop down?

• RMweb Gold

Just tried ordering and it says product unavailable on all the class 92 versions. Am I doing something wrong??

Hi Jeremy

That might have been mid-change to add the DCC sound option. Can you try again at some point?  Hopefully I've not broken anything!

Cheers, Mike

Hi Jeremy

That might have been mid-change to add the DCC sound option. Can you try again at some point?  Hopefully I've not broken anything!

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike,

It's still not working and there is still no DCC option. However, I've just  tried from my mobile and it works fine. Must be just when I try on the PC.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

It's still not working and there is still no DCC option. However, I've just  tried from my mobile and it works fine. Must be just when I try on the PC.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi

I ordered mine at around 13:40 and the DCC sound option was there then.

Cheers

Paul

I’d only be interested in an 00 version, so you N-gaugers will probably tell me to shut up. I was thinking that the Caledonian livery is very dark and it might be a good idea to give it a bit more sheen than the others to give the model a bit of a lift.

Retreating back under my stone.

• RMweb Gold

Hi ND,

Thanks for that. We certainly tweaked the colours on the TEA tankers from the first samples to final production, and I suspect we will do the same with the 92 if, when we get the models, something doesn't look right.

Colour can be very deceptive and often the right colour looks darker than it should on small scale models.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

I have no doubt at all that there is a scale effect for colour and that in general model colours need to be lighter than the actual prototype colour.

One comment, and I'm sure Ben and Red Death are already aware, but paints can be sensitive to artificial lighting and look quite different depending on whether you look at a model in natural lighting or under fluorescent lighting etc. So when considering colour make sure you check the samples under different lighting and definitely in natural light. A few people in the past have been caught out by that one.

The blue of Hornby’s King has attracted no criticism of which I am aware, except from me, which I’m sure tells you something. I suggested that the shade is too light, assuming that preservationists have got the shade of BR “steam” blue right. This is a link to a video showing three locomotives in blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFA3z_d_iio

It occurs to me that in the opening sequence, the locomotives appear to be about the size of models, of course depending on the size of your screen. From this, let me say at least that it is important not to overdo lightening the shade.

• RMweb Premium

Colours are very slippery things and the scaling effect is sensitive to colour I think. British racing green is a very dark colour, if you paint a 1/43 model car in true brg then it looks almost black. BR blue is another one that is very dark if you try using the actual colour on a model. However I do agree that the effect alters for lighter colours.

Hi Supaned,

Good point about the Mk3s - chiming very much with some of the input on the Dapol Digest thread.

The Dapol Mk3s are pretty decent, in my view, and I am thinking that a Mk sleeper would require a new bodyshell, new glazing unit and, maybe, a new roof? Other than that would the bogies, underframe skirt etc be as already available?

Cheers

Ben A.

I think the bigger problem might be the numerous modern Mk2s needed in the same livery and that might require the involvement of another manufacturer with matching livery colours... Or, even better, a new modern Mk2 that isn't a painted clear shell?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Yes, there are other vehicles besides the sleepers in the consist but I think, in the first instance, the sleepers are the big missing link. I believe Farish have improved air con Mk2s on the way - I would hope these will provide a good starting point.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am the first to admit that coaching stock is not my forte, and I'm always ready to listen to those who know more than I do!

I have looked at photographs, and as far as I can tell the bodyshells are all the same, with pairs of square windows (on the compartment side?) and single square windows on the other side. Some are listed as SLED (standard sleeper) and some as SLEP (sleeping car pantry). Is there a visible difference between them? Could the same bodyshell be used for both?

The other question is around roofs and underframes. Again, from photographs the roofs looks similar to standard trailers. Would the models be acceptable if they used existing roof and underframe mouldings? This, along with the same bogies and other parts, would mean essentially that the models would require just a new bodyshell, glazing unit and interior and make them significantly more feasible.

For me, crowdfunding is just about modellers putting their money into projects to make them happen, but also their knowledge too.

Some will have seen that our Class B tankers largely came about because of the input from enthusiasts on the N Gauge Forum, and there is no reason we could not take a similar approach with the sleepers.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

The Mk3 sleeper is a massive gap in the market. Not only for current operations here in Scotland and South West but for various other periods of post 1980s modelling.

Selling the current Caledonian Sleeper coaches in packs of three would be ideal as the operations at present mean we have 6 Mk3s to Inverness and 3 each to Fort William and Aberdeen. I would love to model the entire 16 coach version inc Mk2s so it would be a big thumbs up from me if a decent spec Mk3 sleeper came on the market.

Also, the Royal Scotsman has 2 Sleepers on it, and although there are some modifications to the, would still be fairly easy to model if a decent base model available

I think the bigger problem might be the numerous modern Mk2s needed in the same livery and that might require the involvement of another manufacturer with matching livery colours... Or, even better, a new modern Mk2 that isn't a painted clear shell?

Hi Dave,

Yes, there are other vehicles besides the sleepers in the consist but I think, in the first instance, the sleepers are the big missing link. I believe Farish have improved air con Mk2s on the way - I would hope these will provide a good starting point.

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the reply Ben. Good new aircon Mk2s is a must for me since I'm not into paint stripper and/or self adhesive sides. Not just for the sleeper support coaches but also the DRS coaches used here and there!

I've ordered three of the 92s and I'm really excited to be supporting you on another project. See you at Warley.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy,

As far as I am concerned the sleeper discussion is useful here as for many people the Sleepers go hand-in-hand with the Caledonian 92, and as this is a thread I watch I see all the input!

It may be worth starting something on the N Gauge Forum though, where there are some other similar suggestion threads.

You'll know that there is a fair bit of work involved in going from a thread discussion to a properly costed and considered plan, and this will take some time. If Revolution were to go with the Mk3 sleeper it would probably be a project for Q2 2017.

The very last of the TEA tankers have now been dispatched, and I need to get a few things ready for our stand at the Warley show, where we are announcing another modern wagon and showing the final approval sample of the Pendolino and first shots of the KFA and hi cube containers.

Next year we are attending Model Rail Scotland, the York show, TINGS and Warley again and, depending on how things go (and the ongoing Sterling difficulties) we would hope to continue to show clear progress and delivery of existing models, with a measured and coherent strategy of useful new proposals unveiled at these events.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

I have started a topic on the N Gauge Forum to discuss drawing together stock and locos from the various manufacturers suitable for sleeping car trains from the Mk3 era. http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1599

That can include how to create the Caledonian Sleeper in its current guise, and prior to the arrival of the Mk5s.