RM November 2016

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to this Thursday, publication day for this month's issue...

http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/Railway-Modeller-November-2016.html

Railway Modeller November 2016

November 2016 – vol 67 No.793

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH

Fen Drove

Part of John Hobden’s 7mm scale attic-based tribute to the Midland & Great Northern Railway in the

pre-Grouping period can be exhibited; this is Fen Drove.

PLAN OF THE MONTH & SCALE DRAWINGS

Callington

The former terminus of the Plymouth, Devonport & South Western Junction Railway is drawn, described and modelled by Michael Farr in 4mm scale.

FEATURES

Headingley

This suburb of Leeds – famous for having a test cricket ground – retains its station on the line to Harrogate. For his N gauge replica, Ian Morris turned the clock back.

Connaught Road

Members of the Weymouth Model Railway Association joined forces to build this award-winning O gauge exhibition layout, as Rob Atkins explains.

Newton Gate

Alan Austin combined standard and narrow gauge industrial lines, old techniques and new materials to create this 4mm scale layout.

Ebsworth Street

Greg Marshall installed an impressive array of signalling equipment to control this lengthy OO gauge exhibition layout in the manner of the prototype.

Worlds End – The King's Tower

Peter Goss transposed a model of the remains of Knaresborough Castle – largely demolished after the Civil War – to form part of his award-winning OO layout.

The Hambleden Valley Railway

G45 is used most commonly outdoors, but this did not deter Stephen Howard from deploying large scale live steam on an indoor exhibition layout.

Talking Points

Topical issues from the world of railway modelling. This month, editor Steve Flint discusses with Paul Towers the latter’s passion for amusing layouts.

O'Connell Street extended

The Model Railway Society of Ireland’s epic recreation of Dublin’s chief thoroughfare and its trams circa 1949, in 4mm scale, has been enlarged with a depiction of Parnell Square, as Brian McCann reveals.

Western Wagon upgrade

With tens of thousands built, the Great Western Dia.O5 four-plank wagons were common animals across the Big Four. Duncan Redford tackles the Coopercraft 4mm kit.

A shed for all reegions

In common with many modellers, Andy Peters has a large collection of 4mm scale locomotives: he built an easily interchangeable shed scene to cater for many areas and timescales.

Evenlode & Lyndene

David Tennant tried to keep his steadily-expanding OO and OO9 layout behind his railway room door, but the latest extension has a spiral running right out through it and back again!

RAILWAY MODELLING EXPLORED

Project of the Month – working with static grass – 1

In the first part of a short series, Craig Tiley shows you how to get the best out of the new Peco static grass range, beginning with an embankment scene.

Curved backscenes – 2

In the second of his two-parter on backdrops for model railways, Craig Tiley looks at ways of making them easily removable.

REGULARS

Comment

Opinions and observations across the field of railway modelling. This month, long-time micro-layout enthusiast Julian Andrews examines his inability to settle on plans for a Layout of a Lifetime.

Readers’ Letters

Latest Reviews

The items reviewed this month include a ready-to-run O gauge LNER Class A2/1 Pacific from DJH; the Dapol Class 33 in N; a limited edition DJ Models J94 in Longmoor blue from the Kernow Model Rail Centre in OO; and much more.

Book reviews

News

Including new of two new O gauge Great Western pannier projects; a first report from the Gauge O Guild Convention at Telford; a look ahead to the Warley Show; the new Graham Farish Class 40 in N; and much more.

Societies & Clubs

The hobby's best guide to What's On around the UK and beyond.

Looking forward to this Thursday, publication day for this month's issue...

http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/Railway-Modeller-November-2016.html

Railway Modeller November 2016

November 2016 – vol 67 No.793

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH

Fen Drove

Part of John Hobden’s 7mm scale attic-based tribute to the Midland & Great Northern Railway in the

pre-Grouping period can be exhibited; this is Fen Drove.

PLAN OF THE MONTH & SCALE DRAWINGS

Callington

The former terminus of the Plymouth, Devonport & South Western Junction Railway is drawn, described and modelled by Michael Farr in 4mm scale.

FEATURES

Headingley

This suburb of Leeds – famous for having a test cricket ground – retains its station on the line to Harrogate. For his N gauge replica, Ian Morris turned the clock back.

Connaught Road

Members of the Weymouth Model Railway Association joined forces to build this award-winning O gauge exhibition layout, as Rob Atkins explains.

Newton Gate

Alan Austin combined standard and narrow gauge industrial lines, old techniques and new materials to create this 4mm scale layout.

Ebsworth Street

Greg Marshall installed an impressive array of signalling equipment to control this lengthy OO gauge exhibition layout in the manner of the prototype.

Worlds End – The King's Tower

Peter Goss transposed a model of the remains of Knaresborough Castle – largely demolished after the Civil War – to form part of his award-winning OO layout.

The Hambleden Valley Railway

G45 is used most commonly outdoors, but this did not deter Stephen Howard from deploying large scale live steam on an indoor exhibition layout.

Talking Points

Topical issues from the world of railway modelling. This month, editor Steve Flint discusses with Paul Towers the latter’s passion for amusing layouts.

O'Connell Street extended

The Model Railway Society of Ireland’s epic recreation of Dublin’s chief thoroughfare and its trams circa 1949, in 4mm scale, has been enlarged with a depiction of Parnell Square, as Brian McCann reveals.

Western Wagon upgrade

With tens of thousands built, the Great Western Dia.O5 four-plank wagons were common animals across the Big Four. Duncan Redford tackles the Coopercraft 4mm kit.

A shed for all reegions

In common with many modellers, Andy Peters has a large collection of 4mm scale locomotives: he built an easily interchangeable shed scene to cater for many areas and timescales.

Evenlode & Lyndene

David Tennant tried to keep his steadily-expanding OO and OO9 layout behind his railway room door, but the latest extension has a spiral running right out through it and back again!

RAILWAY MODELLING EXPLORED

Project of the Month – working with static grass – 1

In the first part of a short series, Craig Tiley shows you how to get the best out of the new Peco static grass range, beginning with an embankment scene.

Curved backscenes – 2

In the second of his two-parter on backdrops for model railways, Craig Tiley looks at ways of making them easily removable.

REGULARS

Comment

Opinions and observations across the field of railway modelling. This month, long-time micro-layout enthusiast Julian Andrews examines his inability to settle on plans for a Layout of a Lifetime.

Readers’ Letters

Latest Reviews

The items reviewed this month include a ready-to-run O gauge LNER Class A2/1 Pacific from DJH; the Dapol Class 33 in N; a limited edition DJ Models J94 in Longmoor blue from the Kernow Model Rail Centre in OO; and much more.

Book reviews

News

Including new of two new O gauge Great Western pannier projects; a first report from the Gauge O Guild Convention at Telford; a look ahead to the Warley Show; the new Graham Farish Class 40 in N; and much more.

Societies & Clubs

The hobby's best guide to What's On around the UK and beyond.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Steve has done with my West Shed Layout article, he always does a good job, and he will be at my place tomorrow to photograph my Pencarne, after doing our Clubs Layout Coopers Dale and Marston, in the morning.

good mixture, and some thought provoking points in the articles with Paul Towers  and Jullian Andrews. I do wonder why some people even buy magazines when they seem to know everything and will make small negative comments.

I have also always countered all grumbles about magazine content to suggest they write an article themselves, or even a letter. I have done quite well recently and had several letters published , all putting positive ideas forward to help the hobby.

Who has criticised the issue or said they know everything? I buy magazines for that very reason, so that I can learn something.

What do you really learn from endless photographs of layouts? Not much. No offence to the builders, but I have little interest in layouts beyond a "that's nice", "that's good" or "he has a XYZ lurking in the background". That it seems there are eight of them makes it more likely to make me keep my money in my pocket. I didn't buy a recent issue of BRM for the same reason, but at least that had the headline Layout Special in big letters on the front for the unwary.

The fact that the only article that seems to have any interest to me involves a kit that is no longer available is what's annoying. It's like having an article about building a Kitmaster Stirling Single or Beyer Garrett. Useful if you've got one, not much use if you haven't.

I bet it even has a "you can buy this kit from the manufacturer" blurb in the article, as they all still print his advert for some strange reason.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

You see I actually like layout articles . Usually there is some inspiration to be gleaned from them. On the other hand mags which are too DCC centric, I've really got very little interest in electronics, or features on brass kits , don't do it for me

I suppose the answer is that it's a broad church. RM usually is. Pretty good at delivering a mix, maybe this issues just more to my taste and less to yours. Next month might be different.

Too early to press for any information on the progress of the more accurate 00 bullhead track then? I know there are threads on RMWeb and elsewhere about it and they have CAD renders, so shouldn't Peco be keeping it's readership up-to-date too? Or is it in an advert...?

RM and CM have to be careful they are not seen as front ends for promoting Peco products. I know they always have a lot of products(non Peco) to review, as some of mine are still in the queue. The article about static grass uses the Peco product, not that that is wrong, but I would have liked to see reference to other similar products, which were available before Peco's.

RM is well balanced, and specialst rail is of little interest to most people in the hobby. When the rail is in production, I would expect some mention, probably a review but that is all.

Read my lips-the Toddler always has seven or eight layout articles. If you don't like that then don't buy it. I do and I do. As for plugging Peco products, that is as nothing compared to the latest BRM (1 1/2 layout articles), from which it would appear that Warners have taken shares in a glue business.

Ed

Read my lips-the Toddler always has seven or eight layout articles. If you don't like that then don't buy it. I do and I do. As for plugging Peco products, that is as nothing compared to the latest BRM (1 1/2 layout articles), from which it would appear that Warners have taken shares in a glue business.

Ed

I've got nearly a full set from 1958, I know about the Railway Modeller. However they normally have other articles that make up for the excess of layouts, usually including photographs and drawings. Often subjects that other magazines won't touch such as LMS self weighing tenders which was in a recent issue. The same issue had an article on Cambrian 0-6-0s so it was purchased.

I think people are taking personal opinions too personally. Usually with the same comments such as "if you don't like it then don't buy it" or "write an article yourself if you can do better". I'll pass thank you.

The important phrase was "for my tastes".

It gets tedious when you have to put IMO after everything. I thought that was a given.

Jason

I'd suggest that most of the magazines will have some issues which hold nothing of interest for a few individual modellers. During the late 70s and early 80s I got RM every month and, even now, I can remember a few issues that I found dull and uninteresting at the time, with nothing much to interest or inspire me. Having diisposed of my collection nearly 30 years ago and, much more recently, begun attempts to rebuild it, I find that there are still issues, from all eras, that I find dull and uninteresting. However, time, maturity and changes in modelling interests mean that they are different issues than hitherto.

This isn't really a criticism of RM, or any other publication, as such. I see it as just an inevitable consequence of catering to a spectrum ranging from those just moving up from the train set on the carpet stage, all the way to at least the lower half of finescale and covering at least 100 years of railway history (with the occasional article from Mike Sharman extending that to not far shy of 200 :D). 

Slightly OT, but didn't Peco announce (possibly at Warley last year?) that they were doing a motorised version of their 00 turntable, or am I dreaming?

Stewart

If it's the announcment I recall, they announced a motor unit for their turntable and were intending to modify the turntable base slightly to accommodate easy installation of it.

On the whole RM and CM tend to support the small man in the street well. They tried to support local model shops by restricting website addresses at one time. possibly because they are part of a manufacturing group they know they have to be careful, not forgetting all the products they distribute. They handle it pretty well . There is always a danger with any media that they might favour those companies advertising, and I have seen many cases of this in all sorts of magazines over the years, and if you critisiseonlne  one of those advertising companies(which are in effect the bread and butter supporting that magazine), then things can get nasty on any online forum connected to that magazine. At least we are a bit more tolerent here, but it only takes a slight shift for something like this to happen .

I had a break from RM a few years ago when I felt it was starting to repeat itself, and only started again a couple of years ago. Apart from that gap I have virtually all copies going back to and including the original Ian Allan editions. It is interesting looking back over old issues, just wish someone would put them online like some French magazines, and then you can pay a small fee to download copies. Would be very useful for any research.

You see I actually like layout articles . Usually there is some inspiration to be gleaned from them. On the other hand mags which are too DCC centric, I've really got very little interest in electronics, or features on brass kits , don't do it for me

I suppose the answer is that it's a broad church. RM usually is. Pretty good at delivering a mix, maybe this issues just more to my taste and less to yours. Next month might be different.

I too am tired of magazines still banging on about DCC but I don't think RM is as bad as some of the others for this.

Archived