My latest (90 PSI+!) weatherings & projects! (-: By RJPModelEngineering

• RMweb Premium

I was just thinking, what is the longest any of you have spent weathering a single engine or piece of rolling stock?!?!?

I'd love to hear a fair few answers if possible!

It must be great to have not time or detail limits!

Thanks!

(The longest I usually spend on weathering a loco isn't much over 1.5 hours.

But I'm constrained timewise as I only weather for work)

I often spend around 2 weeks weathering an average wagon (e.g. an 'OBA') - probably about 12-15 hours potentially but it is worth the effort taking the extra time if it's your own project to keep forever! The most time consuming part is building up the different colours, say for rust, I'll build up with 3-4 shades of brown from light to dark with tiny 5-nought brushes, and say your base colours may need toning down or adding in mid-way varnish to protect any new transfers before hiding under layers of dirt, always seems to take time!

I get many requests for paid weathering work but I'd spend far too long perfecting it to ever earn any money!! Envious at the amount & variety of stuff you get to tackle, keep up the good work matey! :)

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Longest to complete  --a CSX U25B in G scale which took 3 days...

However, not many modellers like to pay for weathering commissions that take that long. 

Baz

I often spend around 2 weeks weathering an average wagon (e.g. an 'OBA') - probably about 12-15 hours potentially but it is worth the effort taking the extra time if it's your own project to keep forever! The most time consuming part is building up the different colours, say for rust, I'll build up with 3-4 shades of brown from light to dark with tiny 5-nought brushes, and say your base colours may need toning down or adding in mid-way varnish to protect any new transfers before hiding under layers of dirt, always seems to take time!

I get many requests for paid weathering work but I'd spend far too long perfecting it to ever earn any money!! Envious at the amount & variety of stuff you get to tackle, keep up the good work matey! :)

Cheers,

James

If you're ever up in TMC's neck of the woods, pop in and I'll let you cherry pick some fascinating stock out and have a go.

I'm sure I'd be far more excited about visiting Loftus Road than you would be about visiting our place though lol!

It's great to hear how much time, effort and detail people have been putting into their projects. Thank you!

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 1

Messing about with some Westerns again. The problem is time constraints though. Some effects would require a vast amount of extra time before I'd be truly satisfied. And as mentioned, few would pay for that much time. Often I just carry on detailing anyway and loose out on a few £ for the sake of a better result.

The latter pics go back in time to show some of the process/stages to achieve the very grubby, faided, streaky effect on one of the locos.

post-30092-0-19061000-1489546927_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-88649000-1489546941_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-79671000-1489546958_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-02853300-1489547079_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-96434400-1489547095_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-75296300-1489547122_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Sorry for my ignorance but is there a section where we can post our latest projects so others can see?

As in not just weathering but any interesting projects we're on with?

Thank you.

Rob

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bobsbitsandbobs

post-30092-0-64894400-1510449414_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-64826300-1510449432_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-40166600-1510449527_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-67400600-1510449631_thumb.png

post-30092-0-16093200-1510449838_thumb.png

post-30092-0-29519600-1510450080_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My only problem with the Wickham Trolley is, they're so damn HUGE!!!!

So I got me a smaller, easier to manage one today. Very cheap £££ compared to Bachmann's failed OO engineering challenge! And available in O, OO and N.

I'll post pics when it's painted up, has driver/interior in etc and the motor fitted.

The N gauge Wickham Trolley is so tiny! Hehe

The big Wickham Trolley should have it on a lead by it's side and take it for walks.

I really like the look of the 3D printed 'N' gauge Trolley. Are these available to buy, and if so, would you have a link perchance? 

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the look of the 3D printed 'N' gauge Trolley. Are these available to buy, and if so, would you have a link perchance? 

If you liked it in that picture you will like it more now. It's been revamped to a higher detail level. If you have any questions asking via my Shapeways account is fastest usually.

Here is the link. Thank you!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bobsbitsandbobs

• 3 weeks later...

Rob,

very interesting thread. I read it twice, but I could not find any reference to the title of that thread. Are you actually using 90psi with your airbrush? What is that good for?

Michael

Edited by michl080

• 1 year later...
On 25/02/2018 at 10:12, michl080 said:

Rob,

very interesting thread. I read it twice, but I could not find any reference to the title of that thread. Are you actually using 90psi with your airbrush? What is that good for?

Sorry I've only just seen your question Michael! I found using just slightly thinner paints at higher pressures stopped my airbrush blocking as often, it also allows me to cover bigger areas easier, from further away and a tad faster. Yet very small amounts of paint can still be applied for difficult, tiny close up detail if I'm careful with the airbrush. Also it allows me to blow things dry much easier so that I don't tough wet bits and spoil them.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...