'Beilhack' ZZA snowplough in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

I knew I wasn't imagining it! These ploughs (or similar ones) were mounted directly to locos in the 1980s: 

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2337916

https://www.derbysulzers.com/25066totonplough81.jp

I seem to remember Traction magazine had a feature in the early to mid-2000s on snow-clearing on the WHL in the early 1980s, and had a photo of a class 20 carrying one of these ploughs - possibly the one in the photo above. I wonder how they were fitted to the loco and whether the Hattons Beilhack can be adapted. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We've managed to get a rather large surprise delivered to our stand at Warley this weekend...

post-28458-0-82125900-1542969312.jpg

Network Rail have kindly supplied us with an original Beilhack snowplough blade! We have spent the last week repainting it in time for the show as well as reinstating the familiar 'Stratford Shark' face!

Come along to our stand and tag your photos with #HattonsShark on Instagram or Twitter to be in with the chance to win an OO gauge model of the 'Stratford Shark' - H4-BH-004

We've also got latest samples of all our projects on show so we'll look forward to seeing you over the weekend. We're at stand A32.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-80915300-1542969317.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Took advantage of the recent sale of these ploughs and got a Motherwell pair, with just a number change to make a proper pair.

Was a bit disappointed in the running quality. No pinpoint axles, fair enough for taking shaper curves, but no bearings at all, just a plastic slot. The amount of axle drag is crazy. If you push them they barely roll twice their length before they squeel to a halt.

Worth the discounted price, but not the £43 rrp.

Neil.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Hello,

Took advantage of the recent sale of these ploughs and got a Motherwell pair, with just a number change to make a proper pair.

Was a bit disappointed in the running quality. No pinpoint axles, fair enough for taking shaper curves, but no bearings at all, just a plastic slot. The amount of axle drag is crazy. If you push them they barely roll twice their length before they squeel to a halt.

Worth the discounted price, but not the £43 rrp.

Neil.

With a typical plough train consisting of two ploughs and two locos, is axle drag actually an issue?

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2021 at 22:04, Wolf27 said:

Can’t be that bad, even a lowly Ped managed to push one through the snow.

cheers

Shane

Did anyone else watch that, think wow thats pretty neat, then as it jumped the rails think oh I wish i’d seen what happened next ?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We're pleased to announce a new run of our popular Beilhacks! We are now offering these as twin-packs in both BR yellow (1990s to Early 2000s condition) and Network Rail (post-2022 condition) liveries.

We currently expect these to arrive during Q2 2024. They can be pre-ordered HERE

Cheers,
Dave

H4-BH-014_cat1.jpg

H4-BH-013_cat1.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Hattons Dave said:

Hi everyone,

We're pleased to announce a new run of our popular Beilhacks! We are now offering these as twin-packs in both BR yellow (1990s to Early 2000s condition) and Network Rail (post-2022 condition) liveries.

We currently expect these to arrive during Q2 2024. They can be pre-ordered HERE

Cheers,
Dave

H4-BH-014_cat1.jpg

H4-BH-013_cat1.jpg

Are they based on the class 45 or class 40 bogie?

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Are they based on the class 45 or class 40 bogie?

Both bogies numbered in the announcement are Class 40 origins.

• Like 1

I am pleased to hear that there will be another run of the snowploughs, as I have been hoping to acquire them for some time as I only started modelling after the previous run had long sold out.  I have placed an order to ensure that I can get them.

I understand that the forthcoming release will have two liveries, BR departmental yellow and Network Rail black.   Could someone advise me on suitable locomotives for the Network Rail ploughs, please?  I assume that there are always two locomotives bookended by the ploughs?  Also, out of curiosity, could someone advise me on suitable locomotives for the BR departmental ploughs, please?    Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, Sweetling Park said:

I am pleased to hear that there will be another run of the snowploughs, as I have been hoping to acquire them for some time as I only started modelling after the previous run had long sold out.  I have placed an order to ensure that I can get them.

I understand that the forthcoming release will have two liveries, BR departmental yellow and Network Rail black.   Could someone advise me on suitable locomotives for the Network Rail ploughs, please?  I assume that there are always two locomotives bookended by the ploughs?  Also, out of curiosity, could someone advise me on suitable locomotives for the BR departmental ploughs, please?    Thank you in advance.

For the Network Rail a pair of DRS 60s is one possibility https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/snowplough/ea5013cb6  and lots more photos showing what they look like after being used. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Pair of colas 56s or network rail 97s can be used with the NR ones too

IMG_0320.WEBP

IMG_0322.WEBP

I can honestly say working the snowploughs to hindlow and Buxton has been the highlight of my career so far, a really interesting days work and something totally out of the ordinary!

IMG_0321.WEBP

• Like 10

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

We are currently reviewing our order books for our new batch of ZZA Beilhack Snowploughs and at the moment, there are not enough to proceed with the re-run. We advise customers to pre-order as soon as possible to ensure that this new batch can proceed to production. If we do not reach a satisfactory order threshold these items may have to be postponed or cancelled.

You can pre-order yours for £70 per twin pack HERE