50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to Hattons on these announcements.

In The Wishlist Poll 2015:

The 1940s Warwell was the most-wanted pre-1948 Freight Stock item and was in the Top 50.

The 1970s Warwell was the most-wanted post-1963 Freight Stock item and was in the upper echelons of the High Polling segment.

The Beilhack Snowplough was in the upper echelons of the Middle Polling segment.

Brian Madermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Did these run in mixed rakes with Warflats or were they kept separate ?

I've seen photos of trains composed of both types; taller vehicles, such as Land-Rover ambulances and Bedford 3-tonners on the Warwells, whilst lower vehicles would be on the Warflats. A browse through here :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627008284776 might provide some inspiration.

• RMweb Gold

Was going to post this picture in response to Phil's query

post-7138-0-87826700-1476527823_thumb.jpg

But on a closer look I reckon those are Lowmacs not Warwells carrying Ashchurch vehicles northbound through Worcester Shrub Hill

However am sure warwells and warflats appeared in trains with other wagons on this traffic

Phil

• Like 3

Was going to post this picture in response to Phil's query

attachicon.gif000035 cropped.jpg

But on a closer look I reckon those are Lowmacs not Warwells carrying Ashchurch vehicles northbound through Worcester Shrub Hill

However am sure warwells and warflats appeared in trains with other wagons on this traffic

Phil

Lowmacs at the front, and Lowfits behind; other types you might have seen on MoD vehicle traffic include Carflats, vac-fitted Plates, ferry Carfits and more recently OBA/OCA/SPA. I'm sure I've seen a photo with a rake of those Freightliner flats with built-up ends and a 'fixed' floor (not the post-privatisation ones, but ones called 'Freightflats', IIRC)

Are Hattons going to produce any military vehicles that will form a suitable load for these wagons?  Suitable vehicles may already be available from Oxford Diecast or some other supplier, but my knowledge of tanks isn't that great.  They were originally built to carry Sherman tanks, but presumably post refurbishment, other more modern tanks would be more appropriate. 

Are Hattons going to produce any military vehicles that will form a suitable load for these wagons?  Suitable vehicles may already be available from Oxford Diecast or some other supplier, but my knowledge of tanks isn't that great.  They were originally built to carry Sherman tanks, but presumably post refurbishment, other more modern tanks would be more appropriate. 

Modern support vehicles most likely. Most modern tanks are too wide to fit our loading gauge so generally go via either road using the Army's own transporters or by air using the range of available transport on the part of the RAF (Chinook, Hercules, Galaxy etc).

Modern support vehicles most likely. Most modern tanks are too wide to fit our loading gauge so generally go via either road using the Army's own transporters or by air using the range of available transport on the part of the RAF (Chinook, Hercules, Galaxy etc).

I don't think you'd get a Challenger into a Hercules or underneath a Chinook..

The biggest vehicle you'd get on a Warwell would be a Warrior, an Infantry Fighting vehicle. These have to be loaded on to a special platform on the deck of the Warflat to keep them in gauge. The asymetrically-mounted turret has to be on the 'six-foot' side, to avoid fouling things like platform valances and signals. Loading is a skilled job; as a driver found out during the press launch of the facilities at Redmire; the inverted vehicle was captured for posterity by a Tyne-Tees cameraman.

The heavier stuff goes by road, either on the Army's fleet of tank transporters (I think the current tractor is an American Oskosh), or increasingly on hired-in trailers. One of the latter made the news when a Challenger fell off during a run down the M4; I saw it in my rear-view mirror.

The biggest vehicle you'd get on a Warwell would be a Warrior, an Infantry Fighting vehicle. These have to be loaded on to a special platform on the deck of the Warflat to keep them in gauge. The asymetrically-mounted turret has to be on the 'six-foot' side, to avoid fouling things like platform valances and signals. Loading is a skilled job; as a driver found out during the press launch of the facilities at Redmire; the inverted vehicle was captured for posterity by a Tyne-Tees cameraman.

The heavier stuff goes by road, either on the Army's fleet of tank transporters (I think the current tractor is an American Oskosh), or increasingly on hired-in trailers. One of the latter made the news when a Challenger fell off during a run down the M4; I saw it in my rear-view mirror.

Indeed, a MBT would only be sent by Galaxy most likely (I'm more thinking in terms of overseas deployment of such items though, and a lot of stuff coming back from Iraq/Afgahn came that way or was left behind).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did these run in mixed rakes with Warflats or were they kept separate ?

Any mix is fine it was purely down to what needed transport on that day. You often saw lots of one type together when a big batch of vehicles was moved to or from one of the big depots for deployment.

Are Hattons going to produce any military vehicles that will form a suitable load for these wagons? Suitable vehicles may already be available from Oxford Diecast or some other supplier, but my knowledge of tanks isn't that great. They were originally built to carry Sherman tanks, but presumably post refurbishment, other more modern tanks would be more appropriate.

The Centurion was finishing development as WW2 ended and was too big as we're all its successors. Post WW2 it would be armoured cars, tracked personnel carriers with turrets or missile systems, lorries and the biggest they take is the current Warrior on the special cradle mentioned above. The single type of MBT dominated post WW2 to keep costs down so there wasn't much variety to transport.

Modern times have seen the bigger armoured trucks for Afghanistan carried too.

• RMweb Gold

So at the moment we occasionally trundle a Grammodels  FV432 APC around on a lowmac

Suspected it was overweight for a lowmac but googling suggests a weight of 15 tons against Lowmac tare of 25 tons so OK...

A good load for a warwell though....

Scimitar tank only 7.8 tons but probably also needed warwell or lowmac to be within gauge ... what other armoured vehicles were around in the 60s/70s ? Seems to be a bit of a quiet period....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Two fv432's were a common load on warflats rather than in the warwell. Vehicles were carried on the warwell due to size mostly as I've seen various trucks as common loads due to their height.

I find these better mouldings with less bubbles than the gramodels or Britannia kits.

http://sandsmodelsshop.com/what-is-new-this-month/

Edited by PaulRhB

Scimitar tank only 7.8 tons but probably also needed warwell or lowmac to be within gauge ... what other armoured vehicles were around in the 60s/70s ? Seems to be a bit of a quiet period....

Phil

Saladin's, Saracens, Scorpions, Humber pigs, would all be suitable loads.

MBT's tend to go by sea due to their size and weight. Although I did see a USAF Galaxy loaded with  several MBT's at Greenham Common in the 80's when I was attached there.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian - MBT road transport used to be Antars in the early 70s....was let loose in a tractor unit around the parade ground at Bielefeld in 1971....great experience!

Phil

• Like 1

Cheers Brian - MBT road transport used to be Antars in the early 70s....was let loose in a tractor unit around the parade ground at Bielefeld in 1971....great experience!

Phil

I remember the Antars; they were superseded by Scammells; firstly the Crusader ( http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p358872034/h1ca93e11#h1ca93e11 ), then the Commander ( http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p432494450/h13a6d3aa#h13a6d3aa ).

The current tractive power are these ugly beasts:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oshkosh+tank+transporter+british+army&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=780&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji46Hwx93PAhWiCMAKHZO5B2MQsAQILA