50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

These Land Rover FCs just came out from Oxford too as an alternative load for modern Warwells:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/315541/Oxford_Diecast_76LRFCS001_Land_Rover_FC_Signals_Nato_Green_Camouflage/StockDetail.aspx

Hmm. I wonder if Carflats were ever used to move military light vehicles around?

They were- I've seen photos, though not sure where. IIRC, the vehicles included a Sherpa mini-bus, a Land-Rover and a car.

• RMweb Premium

Just received another Airfix Scorpion kit which will sit on a Warwell. This one is one of the old bubble front pack ones dated 1974. The original price sticker says 28p. Where has it been hiding all these years?

Simple answer! On the 'must keep that - might come in useful one day' shelf! Along with my unopened Airfix station canopies, Airfix dockyard crane etc etc!

John S

I wish / hope somebody much cleverer than me would design a 3d printable Spartan/Sultan/Samaritan body to drop onto an airfix scorpion chassis.

I'd be in the market for severalteen of those.

• Like 1

Have a look at the Easy Models warrior mcv 80, although it is 1:72

They are nice models, I have a couple. They're not really suitable for the warwell as it stands as the warwells are missing the widened deck and special cradles

They were- I've seen photos, though not sure where. IIRC, the vehicles included a Sherpa mini-bus, a Land-Rover and a car.

Thanks - this is cool, I can add miltary landrovers to carflats leaving the warwells with heavy stuff.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

Carflat

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmotorail/e3bb28b9 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brmotorail/e19742b0

They were also transported on Lowfits  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit/e19982b30  

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit/e367a320  

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit/e1a11970a

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

thought I would share  a few images of a couple of the slightly more unusual military loads for warwells that I have been working on.  Firstly, an ex-JB, latterly Airfix, Saracen, heavily reworked and up-armoured to Mk V Ambulance configuration.  I confess I have been working on this one for a very long time ( - last active work, 2003!!! - it's a long story...) - however, the advent of the warwells caused me to go digging in the cupboard...

post-10582-0-34784200-1539715112_thumb.jpg       post-10582-0-59832100-1539715184_thumb.jpg

And of a rather more recent vintage, the S&M Models Mk II Alvis Stalwart.  I am (mostly) enjoying  the build, barring a schoolboy error of my own making, though it certainly does not just drop together - however, that's part of the fun of modelling, I guess.   Some aspects, such as moulding the cab panels in transparent plastic to achieve the flush glazing, are really nice.  In any event, I think it looks the part and it certainly drags up memories of  seeing them in and around Salisbury when I was rather younger:

post-10582-0-32670300-1539715399_thumb.jpg    post-10582-0-29966000-1539715429_thumb.jpg    post-10582-0-43623000-1539715460_thumb.jpg

As you will see, the front bulkhead in the cargo area needs some detailing, easily resolved; and I modified the exhaust area to the rear offside to better resemble most of images I found of later examples.  I think it will come out okay: I certainly hope so, because I have another one in the stash!  Green paint and mud will also hide a multitude of sins  :-)  It will also look better - and taller - with the wheels on...

Sorry about the picture quality, but if these are of interest I will post more in due course as they reach the paint shop and beyond.

Happy modelling all, 

Paul

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

They are nice models, I have a couple. They're not really suitable for the warwell as it stands as the warwells are missing the widened deck and special cradles

There is a brass kit available from PH Designs that once made represents the cradle for the Warrior. Alternatively you could scratch build as I recall there was an article in one of the trade magazines around the time of the launch of the Hatton's Warwell wagon.

Hope this helps.

There is a brass kit available from PH Designs that once made represents the cradle for the Warrior. Alternatively you could scratch build as I recall there was an article in one of the trade magazines around the time of the launch of the Hatton's Warwell wagon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks CB Rail. I have a couple of those etched kits from PH Designs. I've only got around to starting one of them so far, with not great results entirely of my own doing. I think I need some kind of device to aid folding the etches neatly.

Hi,

I have now got 4 (well 2 on their way) of the 2000s livery Warwells and I'm looking for suitable loads.

I'm having trouble finding modern (late 1990s onwards) tanks or armoured vehicles in a suitable scale (i'm happy if they are HO), does anyone have any suggestions?

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon.

It is difficult to find suitable loads for modern warwells.

Airfix Scorpion needs the Matador models conversion kit to truly represent modern CVRTs.

S and S models do a good range of Armoured Fighting vehicles including Scimitar, Sultan, Samaritan, and Spartan. I think they do a Combat Engineer Tractor too. I know they do the FV432. These are aimed at wargamers, so they are quick to assemble with enough detail to look ok from a distance across a large table.

All modern tanks and self propelled guns are too large aand heavy to fit on warwells.

You can get 1/72 scale diecast Warrior on eBay fairly easily. Dont get the ones with the extra armour on the sides. Out of gauge. Really need the PH Designs warrior cradle though and extensions to the width of the deck to be totally accurate.

There is a clip on youtube of a train of warwells with land rovers, oxford diecast do the 90 / 110 but not wolfs.

Airfix / JB Models did a nice Bedford lorry can be a bit pricey if you can find one.

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

I got the weathered modern warwell today, because the clean one was out of stock, and it isn't as nicely weathered as the Dapol JNA specials they had.

It's satin finish and has obscured most of the lettering and the deck literally looked from the brush strokes like it had been done with a 2 inch decorating brush! White spirit had no effect so I ended up buffing it off with a motor tool and will re-weather it and matt varnish it. Nice model but even a general blast with an airbrush would be better than this effort and it appears to have been varnished on top!

I'd been patiently waiting for the extended versions from Oxford but they are still 'in the future'.

Ho hum I got a couple of proper modelling points today :onthequiet:

Simon,

The ex-JB Bedford aircraft refueller is also rather nice and makes for an interesting load, though it might be a tad early for you - certainly into the early 90s (the kit includes 1991 Gulf War markings as an option). S&M models are also due to release a plastic kit of an FV432 Shortly, though interestingly the box art indicates that it will be 1/72 rather than 1/76, as per their Alvis Stalwart amphibian (see post #489).

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

The ex-JB Bedford aircraft refueller is also rather nice and makes for an interesting load, though it might be a tad early for you - certainly into the early 90s (the kit includes 1991 Gulf War markings as an option). S&M models are also due to release a plastic kit of an FV432 Shortly, though interestingly the box art indicates that it will be 1/72 rather than 1/76, as per their Alvis Stalwart amphibian (see post #489).

Best wishes,

Paul

The S&M stolly is 1/76 scale.

I got the weathered modern warwell today, because the clean one was out of stock, and it isn't as nicely weathered as the Dapol JNA specials they had.

You think Hatton's weathering on the Dapol JNAs was good?  I was disappointed with the weathering on mine: it's kind of put me off ordering other weathered editions from Hattons unless I've seen them first.  I'll steer clear of a weathered Warwell if the standard is lower than the JNAs.

• RMweb Gold

You think Hatton's weathering on the Dapol JNAs was good? I was disappointed with the weathering on mine: it's kind of put me off ordering other weathered editions from Hattons unless I've seen them first. I'll steer clear of a weathered Warwell if the standard is lower than the JNAs.

It was ok as a start on the JNA’s, really only a wash or paint on wipe off, but the brush marks on the warwell were nothing like any real weathering I’ve seen. It obscured all the side lettering too. I wouldn’t buy another weathered one and it has me thinking I’ll change my order for the RHTT to a clean one and do it myself if this is the style. Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

The S&M stolly is 1/76 scale.

Yes, it is. Sorry, my meaning was not as clear as I had hoped. The FV432 is advertised on S&M Models ' website as being to 1/72, which seems a mite curious. Why not 76th, as per the Stalwart? Oh well, the pictures of the kit made up on the website look nice, so I shall order one and report back in due course.

Happy modelling,

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Simon.

It is difficult to find suitable loads for modern warwells.

Airfix Scorpion needs the Matador models conversion kit to truly represent modern CVRTs.

S and S models do a good range of Armoured Fighting vehicles including Scimitar, Sultan, Samaritan, and Spartan. I think they do a Combat Engineer Tractor too. I know they do the FV432. These are aimed at wargamers, so they are quick to assemble with enough detail to look ok from a distance across a large table.

All modern tanks and self propelled guns are too large aand heavy to fit on warwells.

You can get 1/72 scale diecast Warrior on eBay fairly easily. Dont get the ones with the extra armour on the sides. Out of gauge. Really need the PH Designs warrior cradle though and extensions to the width of the deck to be totally accurate.

There is a clip on youtube of a train of warwells with land rovers, oxford diecast do the 90 / 110 but not wolfs.

Airfix / JB Models did a nice Bedford lorry can be a bit pricey if you can find one.

Hope this helps

Simon,

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have now got a small squadron of Scimitars from S&S models on the way to me!

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have now got a small squadron of Scimitars from S&S models on the way to me!

Simon

They'll look great. Even better would be Sultan (armoured command vehicle) or Samaritan (armoured ambulance), as these vehicles are taller than the others on the Scimitar chassis they are more likely to be carried on the warwells. Always on warwells if they still have the roof mounted equipment racks fitted.

Scimitars, Spartans (armoured personnel carrier) and Samson (armoured engineers vehicle) are usually carried on warflats.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1