Frothing for 2017

Crepello

My contribution to the, so far, rather measured froth vat includes some re-liveries (including some current issues but without the awful factory weathering) and variations on existing 'new tool' classes:

150/2 in original 'Sprinter' livery

Another large logo 37

A new 47/4 variation of some sort - boiler, tank, noses etc.

A refurbished 31 (a longer lived 31/4 would be ideal and / or RF livery)

A 25/3

Nothing original or that radical, but surely fairly easy to do and likely to be good sellers to those kids of the 70's & 80's...

For some proper froth - lets have a retool of some 'inbetween' Mk2s i.e. between A and F!

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps some LMS vans and opens, which are also wanted in 4mm. Particularly welcome if they tooled the 8-shoe fitted u/f as this is currently only available from the 2mm Association as an etched kit (same goes for the BR equivalent I think).

• Like 1

Another surely not too difficult would be the 107 DMU.  Nice for Scottish followers such as myself!!  Surely not much more than a 3 car 108 with a headcode box on the cab ends.  Though a nice 126 preferably in Ayrshire format would be good - in powered and unpowered  versions?  Though the Glasgow-Edinburgh version would be acceptable.  Dream on. But I appreciate the desire of many for high density.

A great start to the froth.

So yes, the maroon Hawksworths - bring them on! But the great omission in the Hawksworth range is the brake composite - essential for the BR/WR light branch/cross-country trains which were so often formed of Hawksworths.

Or bring out the Collett non-corridor suburban/branch coaching stock.

And for locos - shrink the BR 4MT 4-6-0 down from 00 to N! Would a "Dukedog" shrinkdown be feasible? Or a Dean Goods new tooling?

Or put a BR Standard 2MT body on the Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 chassis.

Or just make and ship the BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T in unlined green instead of just teasing us since the 2012 catalogue.

Colin Hearn at Union Mills now does both the Dean Goods and the Dukedog.  I agree about a Std 2MT.

In terms of locos, more Warships & N class moguls would be nice.

I would like to see some more coaches done.  Another batch of MK2a coaches in Network Southeast (including the FK & BFK this time), another batch of Bulleids in green would be nice (and maybe the shallow ventilator CK, BTSO & BCK (both the loose & the two car set versions) could be added to the range), another run of Chocolate & Cream MK1 SKs, and, more MK1s in Southern Region Green (and maybe this time, the BCK could have the silver window frames like it is meant to).

• RMweb Premium

Rather pleased (chuffed?) that I started this thread and that it hasn't yet been clobbered! It seems to have been quite successful and shows there's still enthusiasm for new N-gauge stuff. It also makes it worth clicking on to ' Farish' as there's not much going on at the moment on here.  I just hope Mr Bachmann reads it and takes notice! Would they like to comment?

• Like 1

Oh well, never mind.  Useful article though. 

Ultimately for me it is a matter of what passes muster at normal viewing distances in N Gauge.  I am happy to be approximately right even if precisely wrong, and in the past did a number of carve ups and mods to kits and RTR to produce locos I wanted.  My Ayrshire 126 is fabricated from Minitrix Mk 1s modified in a similar way to an article in the N Gauge Journal some years ago.  Does anyone remember Bill Oldroyd in the late 60s to 70s who was a master at doing this in OO.   Some while ago I purchased a blue 3 car 108 with a view to adding the 4 character indicator to the cab to make it look like a  107.  I will carry on and do it.  It will be near enough.

My contribution to the, so far, rather measured froth vat includes some re-liveries (including some current issues but without the awful factory weathering) and variations on existing 'new tool' classes:

150/2 in original 'Sprinter' livery

Another large logo 37

A new 47/4 variation of some sort - boiler, tank, noses etc.

A refurbished 31 (a longer lived 31/4 would be ideal and / or RF livery)

A 25/3

Nothing original or that radical, but surely fairly easy to do and likely to be good sellers to those kids of the 70's & 80's...

For some proper froth - lets have a retool of some 'inbetween' Mk2s i.e. between A and F!

Hi Bill,

The 150/2 is out in original Sprinter livery : http://www.hattons.co.uk/61110/Graham_Farish_371_329_Class_150_2_150247_in_BR_Super_Sprinter_livery_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

Albeit in weathered Sprinter livery. Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Mark

I would love the following: -

Peak with split head codes in green with half yellow panel. There are no peaks in the current catalogue so is this model being upgraded?

A 'skinhead' version of the Class 31 in green.

Class 40 in green with split head codes.

Any of the the Classes 81-86 in electric blue with half yellow panel and white cab roof.

Thompson coaches in maroon livery.

That's my dream anyway  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would love the following: -

Peak with split head codes in green with half yellow panel. There are no peaks in the current catalogue so is this model being upgraded?

A 'skinhead' version of the Class 31 in green.

Class 40 in green with split head codes.

Any of the the Classes 81-86 in electric blue with half yellow panel and white cab roof.

Thompson coaches in maroon livery.

That's my dream anyway  :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that Dapol are doing their 86 in electric blue--have a look at the Digest. Hopefully a new Peak will follow on from the 40--it seems a logical development. Definitely agree on the Skinhead 31.

I think you'll find that Dapol are doing their 86 in electric blue--have a look at the Digest. Hopefully a new Peak will follow on from the 40--it seems a logical development. Definitely agree on the Skinhead 31.

Hi, thanks for that but I don't think it is going to be a 1960's version of the class 86. The current models are based on the ones that were modified in the early 1970's

Hi, thanks for that but I don't think it is going to be a 1960's version of the class 86. The current models are based on the ones that were modified in the early 1970's

In theory they could get close by producing original bogies for the model (there's a slight "scar" on the body moulding where the flexicoil mounts are on the bogies but mostly ignorable (or can be pared off with a craft knife if you can't live with it) because the original front end is one of the slide options for the body tooling. But more likely the one being produced is a modern repaint.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to see more class 47 variants too, Mk1 FK reissue, Mk2 FK reissue, Mk1 BSO and RB or RBR and freight stock any ferry van to British n scale.

Yes, some ferry vans would be great; saw some (I think) Interfrigo and STEF continental vans on James Street at Romford last week --and some hand-built VIXs ; they made up nice interesting train. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some obvious gaps:

Maroon Hawksworth coaches (long overdue)

Hawksworth brake composite coaches (often used on branch lines in later days)

Churchward 43xx mogul

GWR 51xx Large prairie

Late diagram LMS horse box

Late diagram LMS/BR cattle wagons

Late diagram Southern cattle wagons

"French" style 16t mineral (with cupboard doors)

Vanwide pallet van

• Like 2

Less of a froth than a wishlist-

An upgraded chassis for the V2, as I need one to run tender-first on an 8-coach troop train, plus one for heavy parcels and another for heavy fitted freight.

Failing that, some skinless rice pudding........

Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In terms of new tooling, the OO scale Thompson carriages could be shrunk.

Also Farish could announce a rebuilt Merchant Navy.

47s to be offered with cut-away cabs and long-range fuel tanks

2017 offers several possibilities for commemorative locos and train packs:

20th anniversary of the privatisation of BR - Railfreight Distribution 47 and VGAs

50th anniversary of the final regular Southern Region steam services - weathered, chalked-up Std 5 with mixed Bulleid and Mk 1 rake

60th anniversary of BR's first pilot scheme diesels - class 20 D8000 and class 31 D5500

Class 150/1 in Silverlink

Class 150/2 in GWR

Class 101 3-car in Strathclyde PTE orange/black

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2

A 2EPB would be a 'must do' suggestion from and for me. They've already done the research in OO.

But with their new regime any new announcements for 2017 would have already been decided, worked on and substantially developed by now. Wish-listing, frothing or whinging will have no effect on the new brochure published in early January. A few years time, maybe . . .

In the meantime, with just five weeks to go, I'll get on with some modelling. Here -  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115057-low-relief-other-structures-from-card-and-styrene/page-1 

G.

Edited by grahame